University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unsworth
What did you choose?

I went for:

1. Any Catered/Shared
2. Any Shared
3. Culver House - Didn't read about it being single sex flats and some non-alcoholic ones too which is a bit annoying.

I was hoping that by putting Shared down I have more of a chance of getting one of the shared rooms at Wills haha, but I think that is out of the window.

Nelson
Rackey
Any shared

They were the only ones they'd let me pick.. along with waverly
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by EdClark499
I got my accommodation offer this morning for Nelson House. All of my mates going to other universities seem to have had no problem jumping on a freshers Facebook group and finding people in their halls and on their course. I'm not sure if it is just me being oblivious, but I can;t seem to find anything like this for Bristol.

This is the closest thing I could find, but it doesn't seem very official and the admin won't add me to the group:
<facebook link removed by mod>

Has anybody else found somewhere ideal for meeting people in their halls? Or more simply, has anybody else recieved an offer for Nelson House?

Hey! I'm also in Nelson House, so you're not alone :smile: it wasn't one of my choices so I wasn't particularly thrilled but I'm hoping it'll be fine. I've managed to find a few other people also there who are on my course (English) through Facebook, but I've yet to find a specific Nelson House group as of yet. What are you studying?
Original post by EdClark499
I've been given Nelson House. It was my third choice, but I was still hoping for something else, since it is super expensive and doesn't even have a basin.

I've been allocated there as well. Looks nice but expensive and bit worried about shower sharing. Is there any obvious way to get in touch with my prospective flatmates?
Original post by Laurajc95
Hey! I'm also in Nelson House, so you're not alone :smile: it wasn't one of my choices so I wasn't particularly thrilled but I'm hoping it'll be fine. I've managed to find a few other people also there who are on my course (English) through Facebook, but I've yet to find a specific Nelson House group as of yet. What are you studying?

I'm so glad to find that there are others who have been allocated to Nelson - it wasn't one of my choices either, so I was really worried about it too, as I agree there is a distinct lack of a facebook community or anything for it! It would be good to keep in touch with each other.
Original post by RKelly96
I've been allocated there as well. Looks nice but expensive and bit worried about shower sharing. Is there any obvious way to get in touch with my prospective flatmates?

Likewise! I'm a self confessed clean freak and I have been allocated 'single,no basin.'
(edited 9 years ago)
on the 'residence specific arrival information' pdf's they seem to say that alcohol consumption in rooms is discouraged, really? lool
Original post by Piggy123
Likewise! I'm a self confessed clean freak and I have been allocated 'single,no basin.'

I'm exactly the same!!! Worried I'll hold everyone up in the shower every morning and, with no basin, harder to keep room clean. Hope flatmates keep the kitchen at least marginally tidy :L
Does anyone know the lay out of waverly house. Like where the studios are and the rooms or anything. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone been given durdham hall in stoke bishop? I have been looking for the official facebook page but can't seem to find it! so frustrating:rolleyes:
Original post by Laral2
Anyone been given durdham hall in stoke bishop? I have been looking for the official facebook page but can't seem to find it! so frustrating:rolleyes:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1415507308730696/?fref=ts

This is the only one I can find, it is by no means the official one (admin is a freshers page)
But can be useful for connecting with people, and once they have an official page they usually add them from there quicker..
I got single, no sink in Waverley - an inner city tower block over a multi-storey car park! Didn't even get third choice. It's expensive too.
Original post by RabMcK
I got single, no sink in Waverley - an inner city tower block over a multi-storey car park! Didn't even get third choice. It's expensive too.

What do you think our chances are of getting moved if we accept and go on the transfer list? I'm in the same situation but have been put in Nelson House. Made the journey to have a look yesterday and to say there is some building work going on is an understatement! Looks like they are building on one side and demolishing on another, add to that the noise from buses, multi-storey NCP, extractor fan from Chinese Karaoke bar underneath one side of the building and it doesn't seem like a place you would ever have quiet to work. :frown:
To me it seems that you guys need to do research on your alternatives and see whether the positives outweigh the negatives. Take into account that if you do not accept your offer for university-allocated accommodation you most likely won't live in halls all year, and assuming you guys are freshers it is like an experience you shouldn't miss out on. I honestly suggest that you join the waiting list, lots of people are unhappy about what they got and there should be a vaccancy somewhere you like sooner or later :smile:
Guys what about social life at the hawthorns?
Also on the official handbook it says that you can't have a heater or toaster in your room. Is it really true or can you get away with it? However how is heating at the hawthorns?
OT: when will we be able to see our timetable with all the lectures?
Cheers
anyone decided to stay at private hall?
i got in through adjustment and i dont fancy the only places left at univ hall.
Original post by Myblog
Hi
I have been allocated Unite House. I am a little disappointed as it was not any of my choices. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed there as research shows it to be very noisy, next to a night club and building work during the day! Also it does not belong to the Uni.

Original post by stotttyy
I have also got UNITE house and am a little disappointed. I'm slightly worried because people say if you want a social life don't go to UNITE!! :s-smilie: I don't know why they put me there then as it's the complete opposite of what I wanted....ohh well atleast I'm not the only one now. we can be disappointed together

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unite house is fab! What you will find is that a lot of people are quick to put it down despite the fact they have actually never lived there some of them have never even visited. It is definitely the best location of all the halls (except maybe hawthorns), because you are 10 minutes walk from uni, the triangle, habourside or cabot- which you will appreciate no end when it comes to 9am lectures or spontaneous nights out. It is actually owned in parntership with the uni- so you get bus passes etc just like all of the other halls. There is a great common room and a JCR who organise events all the time- you just have to get involved. I was quite lucky and had a courtyard facing room so the only noise i could hear was people after nights out (which you will get at any halls). o2 academy has a curfew of 11 on week nights so it isnt that noisy late into the night. and as for the other clubs around they are too far to make an impact. In terms of building works yes it is annoying and sometimes (VERY) noisy but its mainly during the day when you will be out anyway- and we got a goodwill payment from unite this year for our inconvenience anyway- so make sure you complain. The flats are really nice (nicer than some of my friends in halls at stoke bishop) and the kitchens are big and good for socializing with sofas etc. And its really easy to have a good social life there if you make an effort- I promise you guys will love it!
Has anyone on here got University Hall or lived there previously? I'm fairly sure I want to move to the city centre if at all possible. However, when I've spoke to the accommodation office they've told me there's so many people who want to be in University Hall from the city centre which I don't understand as it's so far away from everything. I feel like I'm missing something, can somebody tell me why it is so popular? Just worried I'm making the wrong decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Georgia22
Has anyone on here got University Hall or lived there previously? I'm fairly sure I want to move to the city centre if at all possible. However, when I've spoke to the accommodation office they've told me there's so many people who want to be in University Hall from the city centre which I don't understand as it's so far away from everything. I feel like I'm missing something, can somebody tell me why it is so popular? Just worried I'm making the wrong decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? Because nearly all the halls are in Stoke Bishop. There's a regular bus service right outside UH, and the walk is not long either. Plus the walk there is downhill, and you can get the bus back. While from city centre, it's a walk uphill everyday and back.

All the halls are there next to each other, it's very communal.
Whereas if you are in e.g. UNITE, you are imo further away from the communal and social feel, further from other halls, more expensive and it's noisier.

It's the place to be.
Would never have wanted to be in the city centre. Also Stoke Bishop is a lovely area.
Original post by aerov_
Meeee! :biggrin:

I don't know if there is an official page as such, but I'm in this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1478865009048176/

Ah, we're so lucky to be in Goldney, it was so competitive when I looked at the statistics! Are you ensuite? I'm just basin haha. Looking forward to meeting everybody :biggrin:
Original post by Inazuma

is it worth buying an Icebreaker ticket? or can you buy tickets on the door? i don't really wanna cos I might end up with people in my flat who aren't going and it would be a waste of money

i've been told by current 2nd years at Bristol to not get any fresh wristbands or stuff but everyone is banging on about it on facebook

Latest

Trending

Trending