The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Which bristol uni accommodation is the best? I was thinking of applying for Hiatt Baker as it is a reasonable price and apparently is a new construction as of September 2014. I'm also considering other accomodation in Stoke bishop because of the social aspects of campus life. Can anyone offer any advice on which accomodation they prefer and why?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Anyone in the new hiatt baker halls? Or have photos?
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone knows how manor hall is like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jo_ann24
Bristol starts on 21st September but I have to be there sooner so I can bring my things in the accommodation and stuff. I cannot arrive on Monday when the uni starts because I have a long way to come and I have a lot of luggage to unpack, etc :frown:

I'm Mexican and what I did is I came to Bristol on the Wednesday before and it was quite easy to stay at a hotel for those few days and get to know the city, arrange things like my bank account, etc. and then move in on Sunday. Also, I don't see why you can't arrive here on Sunday and just move in. I don't think it's a big deal for your things to still be packed during freshers week. Everyone's room is a bit messy anyway and no-one will care about it.
Hey sorry if similar stuff has been asked before, I haven't seen any Bristol accommodation and the website is slightly overwhelming so thought id just ask around on here.. I'm thinking I want en-suite accommodation, most likely catered though what's the food like? And how restricted are meal times? I'm a music student so I'm planning on being in quite a few different ensembles and stuff, which I know at other unis tend to clash with meal times so don't know if this would be an issue... I'm guess I'm pretty sociable, I'd be up for going out a few nights a week, though I will have a lot of work as well and so I would want to be somewhere where I could stay in without feeling like a loser haha, I'm rambling now but yeah any advice about which accommodation might suit me would be really useful :smile: cheers
Original post by aoifeaoifeaoife
Hey sorry if similar stuff has been asked before, I haven't seen any Bristol accommodation and the website is slightly overwhelming so thought id just ask around on here.. I'm thinking I want en-suite accommodation, most likely catered though what's the food like? And how restricted are meal times? I'm a music student so I'm planning on being in quite a few different ensembles and stuff, which I know at other unis tend to clash with meal times so don't know if this would be an issue... I'm guess I'm pretty sociable, I'd be up for going out a few nights a week, though I will have a lot of work as well and so I would want to be somewhere where I could stay in without feeling like a loser haha, I'm rambling now but yeah any advice about which accommodation might suit me would be really useful :smile: cheers

I live in self-catered, but my friends in catered usually have breakfast and dinner on weekdays, and breakfast and lunch at the weekend. The catered halls are, off the top of my head:

Badock Hall - usually stereotyped as the 'party hall', which does have some truth to it. It has a few ensuite rooms, but your chances of getting those are slim. Be ready for noisy obnoxious floormates.
Hiatt Baker Hall - most people put it as their second choice, their first choice being either Wills or Badock. You are very likely to get a place if you choose it as your first. It is the largest hall in Bristol (around 450 catered and 300 self-catered rooms).
Churchill Hall - don't know anyone living there personally. It is seen as a less popular (but still oversubscribed) substitute to Wills.
Wills Hall - probably the most popular catered hall. Very traditional, has Oxbridge style formals and architecture. Its residents are stereotyped as posh and pretentious. ('nuff said)
Clifton Hill House - the only catered hall that's not in Stoke Bishop. Known for its high percentage of international/exchange students. Some floors are notorious for being very quiet.

And here's my two cents: Don't aim for both catered and ensuite, as this tremendously reduces your chance of getting into your preferred accommodation (as well as being as expensive as a hotel). Consider your priorities and sacrifice one of them, or both. Personally I tried getting into catered ensuite accommodation but ended up in self-catered non-ensuite (admittedly this was due to applying past the deadline). Now I'm actually grateful it didn't happen as all my friends in catered accommodation are not only disappointed with the meals provided, but also end up missing many of them due to their schedules. To quote a friend living in Wills Hall, it feels like still being in boarding school. As for ensuite, I hardly feel the difference because I'm sharing a bathroom with only 4 people. The bathrooms in catered halls tend to be shared between 15-20 students, which is not ideal but still doable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Eh123456
Which bristol uni accommodation is the best? I was thinking of applying for Hiatt Baker as it is a reasonable price and apparently is a new construction as of September 2014. I'm also considering other accomodation in Stoke bishop because of the social aspects of campus life. Can anyone offer any advice on which accomodation they prefer and why?

Moved to UoB forum. :h:
Original post by dulceximenabo
I'm Mexican and what I did is I came to Bristol on the Wednesday before and it was quite easy to stay at a hotel for those few days and get to know the city, arrange things like my bank account, etc. and then move in on Sunday. Also, I don't see why you can't arrive here on Sunday and just move in. I don't think it's a big deal for your things to still be packed during freshers week. Everyone's room is a bit messy anyway and no-one will care about it.

Well, it's not about the others or other student's rooms, I just want mine to be nice and tidy as I am starting the term.. Also it is a bit inconvenient to go with all the things in a hotel and then move them again into the accommodation.. I guess I will contact the university /accomodation and ask them to let me check in on Wednesday:biggrin:
Original post by JMJ_1996
Thanks so much, that's really useful. Think badock will definitely be my first choice and HB catered as my second. I enjoy the idea of cooking but in reality probably won't be bothered and care about the social aspect more really. Do you know if badock is very loud at all hours or is it quiet enough for me to get on with work or sleep if I want to? Really worried I won't get either of them though as they're oversubscribed for first and second choices respectively. If I put my preference as catered or stoke bishop do you think I'd be likely to get one of them?

I came to bristol knowing a lot of people from home, the vast majority picked Badock and very very few did not get their first choice of accommodation so I'd say it's worth the risk personally - it is also possible to move as people invariably drop out or get kicked out, I know a few people who did that. You may not be allowed to put HB catered as 2nd choice depending on how oversubscribed it was last year - so you might have to pick a slightly less popular option for 2nd choice anyway but that will all be clear when you come to apply for accom.
It depends what your neighbours are like tbh, but Badock has loads of study rooms which are quiet and you can work in if you find it a problem, though noone I know has had any major issues. Occasionally noise can be a bit annoying there at night with bass/doors slamming but again it's usually bearable, varies from unit to unit really but it's easy to make a noise complaint if anyone's bothering you - the noisy people will just assume security heard them and came to shut them up of their own accord, not that you complained!!
Original post by Eh123456

You should post in here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi all. I'm a current student and potential returner to halls. I received three emails from the university telling me that because I'm going to be returning from my Erasmus year and I'll be a final-year student, I ought to consider applying for halls. So that I did. There are some flats reserved for final-year students this year in Colston Street, Hiatt Baker (catered and self-catered), 115 Queens Road and Winkworth House. It seems like an odd combination of places but I'm actually able to choose whichever accommodation I want, as I suppose second-years are able to, but then I face potentially being interviewed and having to write an essay on how I bring value to life in halls. I know that's what CHH wanted of returners. I suppose returners are the first to be allocated since the deadline is tomorrow and we hear back in a month.

I'm hoping for a bit of a do-over because I didn't really get anything out of living in halls the first time round. I've also been entirely put off the idea of having to deal with finding my own accommodation again after my experiences in France. I doubt there are any others like me on here but I still enjoy reading your discussions and I can help provide you all with some outdated knowledge.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10411
Apologies if this has already been asked before but could a first year in the new Hiatt Baker Self Catered tell me what it is like or someone who knows about it? I understand it's new so I'm guessing stereotypes wouldn't have formed as of yet. Also, do you think it will be really popular and I have a higher chance with Durdham?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by mediocrely
It's not walking distance, but if you don't mind Stoke Bishop (the buses are pretty good, and it's actually a nice 30 minute walk into uni if you feel like it) I would recommend Hiatt Baker self-catered. No idea as to how oversubscribed it'll be next year, as this was the first year it was opened. I'm living there currently, part of the first cohort of students to do so.

Upsides:
The en-suite bathrooms have proper showers (glass door cubicles as opposed to a "wet room" where you just get a showerhead and... well... the floor) and are very well-lit/spacious. The rooms themselves are of a good size, lots of natural light in most of them because of the large windows. The fact that it's a new build also means that they've been constructed so that they're pretty environmentally sound -- they stay warm when it's cold, and once I'm in my room it's almost impossible to hear any noise from the rest of my flat. Each flat has 10 people, and while this may sound large, it provides a more varied and less suffocating social experience. The kitchens have two ovens, two microwaves, two kettles etc. etc., so it's really sharing a set of kitchen appliances/space with 5 people, not 10. The kitchen tables, however, seat 10 and are great for pre-drinking. There's also a little lounge area at the back of the kitchen with leather sofas. The kitchens are far more sociably designed than any others I've seen whilst at uni.

Downsides: The rooms don't have a great amount of storage space, rather a lot of empty space in the hallway outside your bathroom, but it may just be me that has this problem. There've been varying teething problems this past term, but that's obviously down to the new build being too new for people to know what might go wrong with it. The engineers are pretty fast at sorting out issues, but I wasn't impressed when the water cut out in the middle of a shower one time, or when -- in spite of filling out a repairs form -- I was left to fix my own blocked shower drain. This said, I'm sure that by the 2015 intake these problems will have worked themselves out. The high-spec build can be a downside, too. When I first moved in in September, it was still very summery, and once the room got hot it was very hard to cool down. That's a very small problem though, and I'm sure something similar will be true of most accommodation. Obviously, the distance from uni can be annoying at times, but considering buses run until 4.30am Monday-Saturday and until the early evening on Sundays, it's never really been that much of a problem.

Just in case you happen to consider being a little further afield.

This is really really helpful - thank you! Would you recommend town house or flat and why? How many people share a house? Could you most some photos of your flat and room? much appreciated x
Can I just ask, how do all you guys in expensive en suite rooms finance it?
Original post by exiled
Anyone knows how manor hall is like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I moved here from UH about a week ago. Incredible place. Would thoroughly recommend over anything Stoke Bishop has to offer.
At Wills Hall which rooms are best, Old Quad or New Quad? Are there different sorts of people who live in each?
Original post by donutellme
Can I just ask, how do all you guys in expensive en suite rooms finance it?

Thank you. Same question here. Especially for non-UK students who cannot benefit from ANY bursary/loan for maintenance costs :|
Original post by jo_ann24
Thank you. Same question here. Especially for non-UK students who cannot benefit from ANY bursary/loan for maintenance costs :|

Even I'm not that sure. I have a friend who had an ensuite in first year and she was massively strict with budgeting. She would count every penny she spent and she'd always be struggling with food. Some people call that the "student lifestyle".

A lot of people will insist that they need to have an ensuite bathroom before they get to university. A large number of these will be allocated rooms without an ensuite and then they'll wonder why they made a fuss about it. If you have a cleaner, the bathrooms are almost always clean. If they're not, you moan to your flatmates or leave passive-aggressive letters (more likely). You're going to have to deal with it at some point anyway.

In summary: I wouldn't recommend anyone should base their choice of accommodation on wanting an ensuite. Rooms with basins are more practical than you'd think but there are major drawbacks to having an ensuite.

Edit: Also note that Bristol is generally not a cheap place to live when searching for flats/houses near the university. You can easily be looking at £90-£100/week without bills over a 52 week contract.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10418
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of putting Colston Street as one of my preferences; does anyone have any opinions on it? Also, in the pictures on the Bristol website, the beds look rather small and uncomfortable, is this actually the case?

For the Hawthorns, the availability seems really limited, so when the uni decide who to offer it to, how is the decision made?
Original post by SvLy

For the Hawthorns, the availability seems really limited, so when the uni decide who to offer it to, how is the decision made?

Allocation is random, except for people who have medical requirements (considering it's the only place that is really rolling out of bed into lectures, I would imagine they allocate quite a few for these reasons at the Hawthorns in particular). It was 700% oversubscribed for 2013/2014 so it is pretty much a leap of faith!

Latest

Trending

Trending