The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 96s
Does anyone know anything about Hiatt Baker self catered? Or seen any pictures of it? (as the ones on the uni website aren't that helpful!) As I like the sound of it, but I don't know what its really like! So any opinions would be appreciated :smile:

I'm curious about it too. I've heard that the catered section is one of the liveliest places on campus but the self-catered section seems almost to be an entirely different hall, and 'Hiatt Baker provides flats or houses for mature students and those who prefer a more quiet and studious environment' being on the self-catered section only gave me the impression that the two are pretty much entirely separate and the SC is likely to be more socially sterile from the outset. Anybody able to shed some light on what the new SC half is like?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Looking at Richmond Terrace, it says that it's affiliated with Manor Hall - I was wondering if anyone knows how linked the two are, or whether Richmond Terrace is more like a student house in terms of being unsociable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Halzafa
I'm applying for Law and want to be near lectures and the city centre but also live in a sociable hall. Based on this and what I've seen I'd like to choose accommodation in Clifton so would probably put Goldney first, Manor Hall second. 2 questions- is it worth putting Goldney first over Manor as it's so oversubscribed and do you have any suggestions for 3rd preference? I'd like self-catered and don't mind about having no en suite.

I'm applying for Law too and looking at Clifton area! I'm probably gonna put Manor hall down first (since its probably no point applying for Goldney since hardly anyone gets in) and then maybe put Hiatt Backer SC in as my second choice (as its pretty large in size so i know there will be space). For the distance issue i shouldnt be too worried, I hear there's a super frequent free bus system which takes students from uni and back.
Reply 10463
Original post by EmmDubya
I'm curious about it too. I've heard that the catered section is one of the liveliest places on campus but the self-catered section seems almost to be an entirely different hall, and 'Hiatt Baker provides flats or houses for mature students and those who prefer a more quiet and studious environment' being on the self-catered section only gave me the impression that the two are pretty much entirely separate and the SC is likely to be more socially sterile from the outset. Anybody able to shed some light on what the new SC half is like?

I think I'm gonna put Hiatt SC as my first choice. Could be a slight worry if it's designed for those who are more quiet and studious in nature...whilst studying medicine does mean I need to work hard, I'm the opposite of quiet and really want to be thrown into sociable student life...just need like-minded people to apply! Think they will?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10464
Original post by EmmDubya

I know what you mean, as I like the sound of Hiatt Baker as its a very sociable place (from what i've heard!). But if the self catered is really quiet and not sociable at all then it would be nice to know as I don't want to put it down then not like it! Hopefully someone will know some more about it :smile:
Reply 10465
Original post by TomKC
I think I'm gonna put Hiatt SC as my first choice. Could be a slight worry if it's designed for those who are more quiet and studious in nature...whilst studying medicine does mean I need to work hard, I'm the opposite of quiet and really want to be thrown into sociable student life...just need like-minded people to apply! Think they will?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm exactly the same as you tbh, as i'll be studying vet medicine so will have to work hard, but I really want to go to a sociable hall so I can really enjoy first year and meet lots of new people. I agree, If I go for Hiatt SC I hope similar people apply too :smile:
Reply 10466
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Colleague at work is in HB and she says it's amazing; double beds, spacious kitchens, toilets between like 2-3 people, and lots of fridge space.

Sounds nice! Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 10467
Original post by 96s
I'm exactly the same as you tbh, as i'll be studying vet medicine so will have to work hard, but I really want to go to a sociable hall so I can really enjoy first year and meet lots of new people. I agree, If I go for Hiatt SC I hope similar people apply too :smile:

It sounds like if people like you are applying, should be fine so yeah well up for it I think!
Original post by TomKC

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think I'll be putting Hiatt Baker SC as my first choice, and maybe University as my second. I don't think it will be full of the purely studious type... hopefully not! It's new anyway so I'm hoping that that means a huge range of people, rather than just one stereotype which it sounds like other halls may have developed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Expect it will be very oversubscribed though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10470
Original post by Ebbsy
Expect it will be very oversubscribed though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah very true but got to at least try I guess...
Original post by TomKC
Yeah very true but got to at least try I guess...

Also think it's a bit off that the en suite rooms and non en suite rooms cost the same!

Does anyone know what the Hiatt Baker gym is like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm studying law. Colston Street looks nice. Any views on this place???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Walkeer_1
I'm studying law. Colston Street looks nice. Any views on this place???

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard mostly positive things about that place, although it is probably not the most social hall as I didn't even know it existed a month ago or so.
Original post by Ratach
I've heard mostly positive things about that place, although it is probably not the most social hall as I didn't even know it existed a month ago or so.

Thanks for your view. What would you say the more social halls were?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Walkeer_1
Thanks for your view. What would you say the more social halls were?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stoke Bishops halls are pretty good for that if you don't mind the distance from uni (10-15 mins on bus, 40 mins walking). Goldney and Manor are quite social as well. I've observed that the social life in Clifton Hill House depends a lot on your floormates - a friend of mine is stuck on a floor of introverts and therefore finds it boring af. The Hawthorns and Unite are alright; if you want to be as close to uni as possible then they are good choices. Riverside (Rackhay, Waverley, Favell) is much nicer than it seems, but they aren't places you would put as your first choice.

What else are you looking for in accommodations (e.g. catered, ensuite etc.) if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Hi guys

I'm a first year History student at Bristol and the time has come to start thinking about places to live next year! Sadly my current flat mates and I don't see eye to eye and I don't think we will continue to share a space together next year. I'm looking to find some nice, like minded individuals to share a house with come September, is there a specific thread where I can source this? I figured this might be the best place. :smile:
Original post by Ratach
Stoke Bishops halls are pretty good for that if you don't mind the distance from uni (10-15 mins on bus, 40 mins walking). Goldney and Manor are quite social as well. I've observed that the social life in Clifton Hill House depends a lot on your floormates - a friend of mine is stuck on a floor of introverts and therefore finds it boring af. The Hawthorns and Unite are alright; if you want to be as close to uni as possible then they are good choices. Riverside (Rackhay, Waverley, Favell) is much nicer than it seems, but they aren't places you would put as your first choice.

What else are you looking for in accommodations (e.g. catered, ensuite etc.) if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Why are the riverside properties not usually first choice? They look quite nice!
Original post by prabhleenghai
Hi, does anyone know what St Michaels hill is like to live in?

Mostly students from abroad choose to live there. It is small and you would not get the sense of a 'close friendly living space' as most students tend to keep themselves to themselves but it is very close to the university.
Original post by Ratach

Great thanks! I'm looking for ensuite (don't really mind if I don't get one), and self-catering , yourself? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending