The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Paranoid Kid
I know people always disagree on this but I'd say it's more like 20-30 minutes walking, if that makes Durdham any more attractive.

I agree, I could always get to lectures in 30 minutes if I needed to, usually left 35-40 to get there though. That was from Badock. Walking across the Downs when the wind has picked up, with your umbrella turning inside out every 3 minutes isn't my idea of fun though :p:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 1581
I agree, I could always get to lectures in 30 minutes if I needed to, usually left 35-40 to get there though. That was from Badock. Walking across the Downs when the wind has picked up, with your umbrella turning inside out every 3 minutes isn't my idea of fun though :p:

Nor mine. Having a battle with my umbrella on the way to lectures is one thing I don't need. But I'll probably pick a Clifton/Stoke Bishop hall because I don't want to miss out on the social aspects of university. It'll be easier than say being in a student house. Besides, I'll have a 1000 other people going through the same thing with their umbrellas. I foresee a bonding session. :wink:
Sounds more like bonding with your umbrella :smile:
I've accepted Bristol as firm like a week or two ago, how long does it take before the accomodation prospectus and form comes?
talespirit
I've accepted Bristol as firm like a week or two ago, how long does it take before the accomodation prospectus and form comes?

About May I think it comes out. Or is it even later than that? I know it's way past the UCAS reply deadline. Unless the situation for international students is different?
I'm thinking of applying for Will's or Churchill as my first coice, haven't really decided about my other coices but all I want to know is how unsociable are people in those halls. I've been told they are mostly rah's but reading the alternative reviews, it seems like a great atmosphere. Some people have told me that Wills has got more "hunting, fishing, tweed" kind of people and Churchill more "overturned collars, drunk, rugby fans" kind of people an that these two halls had better be avoided. I'm lost! I don't know what to think... Does anyone have more insight?
Reply 1586
That is actually a VERY good way of putting it. As a student for over 2 years here, I've never seen it like that. Bravo.
kloklorollus
I'm thinking of applying for Will's or Churchill as my first coice, haven't really decided about my other coices but all I want to know is how unsociable are people in those halls. I've been told they are mostly rah's but reading the alternative reviews, it seems like a great atmosphere. Some people have told me that Wills has got more "hunting, fishing, tweed" kind of people and Churchill more "overturned collars, drunk, rugby fans" kind of people an that these two halls had better be avoided. I'm lost! I don't know what to think... Does anyone have more insight?

Don't listen to the generalisations. All halls have people from all walks of life.
Reply 1588
really do you think that everyone who go to halls are going to be exactly the same??
sure the reason they get picked in those halls are because they match certain criteria doesn't mean everyone there is going to be exactly the same...
It's not that the same kind of people get picked which means you end up with the same stereotypes, it's because those stereotypes are associated with certain halls, which attracts a certain kind of person to apply, which means it's a vicious social circle really. Sad, but in most cases true.
organised_chaos
It's not that the same kind of people get picked which means you end up with the same stereotypes, it's because those stereotypes are associated with certain halls, which attracts a certain kind of person to apply, which means it's a vicious social circle really. Sad, but in most cases true.

I see your argument but saying that does make it sound like the halls lack diversity, which I really don't think is true. At Wills I've got friends with wildly different backgrounds and it's of absolutely no consequence. There's always going to be people who don't share your interests, but at the same time there will be those that do.
Oh i definitely agree with you; there's certainly diversity in every hall, but most halls have a dominant stereotype, not to say that you have to fit into that stereotype to have a good time at all, I'm just saying that you shouldn't be suprised if you go there to find a lot of people fit that stereotype and that if it puts you off, it might be ill-advised to go there, and that applies to all halls.
Has durdham got any particular stereotype? I see some people say its quiet and im definately not quiet but I still like the look of it. Is it a wise decision to go there?
organised_chaos
Oh i definitely agree with you; there's certainly diversity in every hall, but most halls have a dominant stereotype, not to say that you have to fit into that stereotype to have a good time at all, I'm just saying that you shouldn't be suprised if you go there to find a lot of people fit that stereotype and that if it puts you off, it might be ill-advised to go there, and that applies to all halls.

I'd say that's fair comment. Just so long as people don't misread what you say and think they'll only ever meet the Jack Wills Brigade (for example!).

Maybe I shouldn't, but I quite like the stereotypes. They add character to the halls, and the Wills Hall Executor would be nothing without 'Rah Watch'!
matt54
Has durdham got any particular stereotype? I see some people say its quiet and im definitely not quiet but I still like the look of it. Is it a wise decision to go there?

The dude who said 'its not whats on the outside but what's on the inside that counts' clearly went to a boring uni hall with horrible people but atleast its exterior was.....nice......
Thanks for the info... It's just the info you read is confusing. i'll definately try to stick to Wills or Churchill and if I don't get in, i'll make the most of any other halls I'm allocated to.
Reply 1596
matt54
Has durdham got any particular stereotype? I see some people say its quiet and im definitely not quiet but I still like the look of it. Is it a wise decision to go there?

Not especially, we stopped at Durdham on bar crawls a couple of times, the bar was always really empty and quiet but probably the most comfortable of the Stoke Bishop ones and it does some good cocktails.

Can't say much about the rooms or the people though. Its not one that gets talked about for having certain types of people, those are only really Churchill and Wills.
I saw this on facebook, is it true that CHH has a hall cat? :smile:
Why does no one mention the Hawthorns? It looks just about perfect for me.
The Macabre Vincent Price...
Why does no one mention the Hawthorns? It looks just about perfect for me.

It looks alright because it's so central but its student housing and I heard that makes it less sociable...

Latest

Trending

Trending