The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra/Clearing for History

Maybe this thread has appeared before, if so I apologise.

For those of you who have experienced the rigours of extra or clearing, do many desirable courses appear?

I want to read history next year (hopefully in London) but I would like to know my options if my worst case scenario occurs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
This belongs in the University forum, not the Academic Help one. I've moved it to the correct section but please post in the correct one in the future :smile:.
Reply 2
Clearing lists should be somewhere on the forum from last year. I'd have a mooch around the forum and the search function.

Royal Holloway is occasionally in clearing for History. UCL rarely is and doesn't need to be tbh.
Reply 3
i applied to do history at Sussex through clearing and I remember that there were loads of listings for history. I also remember there were quite a few in the London universities. It really depends on how many places there are available after the initial allocation of places, eg, if there are less people applying to do history in the London unis then there will be more places available through clearing.

I know you said you want to know your options in the worst case senario, but don't think that clearing is the way to go. Having to apply through clearing was an awful experience for me, because of the fact that I'd done badly in my exams, had been rejected from my other universities, and then had the difficult decision of trying to work out whether to go to uni or take a year out. Be warned that if you go through clearing, quite a few universities dont offer guaranteed accommodation to clearing student - which is what has happened to me and iv had to live off campus, which has been really difficult. I should have taken a gap year instead and applied to a better university. Dont forget there are other options than clearing. That is just my opinion, but I have experienced it so I know what I'm talking about!

And good luck! I'm sure you'll be just fine! :smile:
Helie12
i applied to do history at Sussex through clearing and I remember that there were loads of listings for history. I also remember there were quite a few in the London universities. It really depends on how many places there are available after the initial allocation of places, eg, if there are less people applying to do history in the London unis then there will be more places available through clearing.

I know you said you want to know your options in the worst case senario, but don't think that clearing is the way to go. Having to apply through clearing was an awful experience for me, because of the fact that I'd done badly in my exams, had been rejected from my other universities, and then had the difficult decision of trying to work out whether to go to uni or take a year out. Be warned that if you go through clearing, quite a few universities dont offer guaranteed accommodation to clearing student - which is what has happened to me and iv had to live off campus, which has been really difficult. I should have taken a gap year instead and applied to a better university. Dont forget there are other options than clearing. That is just my opinion, but I have experienced it so I know what I'm talking about!

And good luck! I'm sure you'll be just fine! :smile:

Well if it's in London there is a small handful of campus Unis (QMUL is the only one I know of!), even so I'm not planning to live in halls.

But thanks for the advice.
Reply 5
Jasper.Paterson
Well if it's in London there is a small handful of campus Unis (QMUL is the only one I know of!), even so I'm not planning to live in halls.

But thanks for the advice.

Just because a uni isn't a campus uni, doesn't mean they don't have accommodation. ALL London unis offer hall accommodation by some means or another.
apotoftea
Just because a uni isn't a campus uni, doesn't mean they don't have accommodation. ALL London unis offer hall accommodation by some means or another.

The person I was quoting was talking about living on and off campus. I know they all offer accommodation.

Latest

Trending

Trending