The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Can you request to change an A*B in FM + AFM to an AA if it's needed for your university offer?
Reply 2321
Original post by TSRUser12345
Can you request to change an A*B in FM + AFM to an AA if it's needed for your university offer?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, seems a bit silly. Someone with lower UMS but AA would be able to meet their offer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2323
Thanks, seems a bit silly. Someone with lower UMS but AA would be able to meet their offer.

The algorithm works as follows,
Maximise Maths grade
Maximise FM grade
Maximise maths UMS
Maximise FM UMS.

Often the uni will let you drop a grade so if you get A*B it shouldn't matter unless you have gone for oxbridge.
Original post by Aph
The algorithm works as follows,
Maximise Maths grade
Maximise FM grade
Maximise maths UMS
Maximise FM UMS.

Often the uni will let you drop a grade so if you get A*B it shouldn't matter unless you have gone for oxbridge.

It's UCL for Compsci, more people met their offer than UCL had places last year so I'm not too hopeful.

Original post by gdunne42
Not mathematically possible for the situation to arise.
For an A in maths you need 480 ums. For an A* you need 480 ums with 180 ums in C3+4
C3 or 4 can't be used in further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, but I am referring to Further Maths and Additional Further Maths.

Thanks, but I am referring to Further Maths and Additional Further Maths.

Sorry, bad eyes, shouldn't do TSR on my phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2326
Original post by gdunne42
Sorry, bad eyes, shouldn't do TSR on my phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plus it most definitely is mathematically possible, but the other way round. You can get A* in FM but only B in maths, but it's very unlikely as you need an extraordinary set of results to do that.

No. If you want to check then you can find the rules they apply here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres
Original post by Compost
No. If you want to check then you can find the rules they apply here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres

Cheers, also do you know the cash-in codes for Further Maths (Additional)?
My exam officer said that I've only been cashed in for Maths and Further Maths. I think they're 8374 and 9374 for AS Further Maths (Additional) and A2 Further Maths (Additional) respectively.
Cheers, also do you know the cash-in codes for Further Maths (Additional)?
My exam officer said that I've only been cashed in for Maths and Further Maths. I think they're 8374 and 9374 for AS Further Maths (Additional) and A2 Further Maths (Additional) respectively.

That's correct.

Quick Reply

Latest