The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Right Guard 3.D
That is AQA on the A* for geography.

Since I got an A at AS, and yesterday got 74/80 to get an A* I need 90% at A2 so that is 180/200 UMS.

Do I now need to get 106 UMS (To average 90%) or will I need to get 108 UMS (90% in my next exam) to get the A*?

So my question is, is it a 90% average across A2 or is it 90% in each exam to be eligible?

Sorry if this has been asked before, the OP didn't specify in each exam so Im just asking this for clarification.

It's 90% average across A2, and does not have to be 90% in each. So you'll need 106UMS for the A*! Good luck & grats on yesterday.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 681
Original post by Right Guard 3.D
That is AQA on the A* for geography.

Since I got an A at AS, and yesterday got 74/80 to get an A* I need 90% at A2 so that is 180/200 UMS.

Do I now need to get 106 UMS (To average 90%) or will I need to get 108 UMS (90% in my next exam) to get the A*?

So my question is, is it a 90% average across A2 (+ 80% avg across entire A levels) or is it 90% in each exam to be eligible?

Sorry if this has been asked before, the OP didn't specify in each exam so Im just asking this for clarification.

The bolded,underlined part answers your question.

Bolded part answers your 2nd question.
Reply 682
Original post by Andy Ftw
It's not 90% average across A2, and does not have to be 90% in each. So you'll need 106UMS for the A*! Good luck & grats on yesterday.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't A* achieved by having:
90% average across A2 modules AND 80% average across AS+A2 Modules?
Original post by Andy Ftw
It's not 90% average across A2

Yes it is.
Reply 684
Hi I have taken SNAB biology (edexcel), currently I am sitting on an A but when I submit my A2 coursework, is there any chance I can get an A* with the marks I have and if so what mark would I need?

Biology 1 - 108/120 - 90%
Biology 2 - 120/120 - 100%
Biology 3 - 44/60 - 73%
Biology 4 - 87/120 - 73%
Biology 5 - 94/120 - 78%
Biology 6 - ?/120 - I know I need 27 for an A minimum if that helps..

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Wallam
Hi I have taken SNAB biology (edexcel), currently I am sitting on an A but when I submit my A2 coursework, is there any chance I can get an A* with the marks I have and if so what mark would I need?

Biology 1 - 108/120 - 90%
Biology 2 - 120/120 - 100%
Biology 3 - 44/60 - 73%
Biology 4 - 87/120 - 73%
Biology 5 - 94/120 - 78%
Biology 6 - ?/120 - I know I need 27 for an A minimum if that helps..

Thanks.

You UMS allocations appear to be wrong. No A level adds up to 660 UMS. Can you not calculate a percentage? It is simple primary school-level maths.
Original post by Good bloke
You UMS allocations appear to be wrong. No A level adds up to 660 UMS. Can you not calculate a percentage? It is simple primary school-level maths.

I think Biology 6 should be out of 60 UMS - it should be the coursework element.
Reply 687
hi can someone clarify if this is correct please -

CCEA maths

C1 - 80
C2 - 63
M1 - 68

C3 - 97
C4 - pending
S1 - pending

so an A* is possible if 86% is achieved in C4 and S1?

thanks in advance!!
Original post by becky2010
hi can someone clarify if this is correct please -

CCEA maths

C1 - 80
C2 - 63
M1 - 68

C3 - 97
C4 - pending
S1 - pending

so an A* is possible if 86% is achieved in C4 and S1?

thanks in advance!!

You have 308 UMS

You need 480 UMS so 172 more of which at least 83 must come from C3

so yes 86 UMS from C4 and S1 = A*
Reply 689
Original post by gdunne42
You have 308 UMS

You need 480 UMS so 172 more of which at least 83 must come from C3

so yes 86 UMS from C4 and S1 = A*

cool thanks - was curiosity more than anything as i will be grateful if i get an A lol

thanks again
Reply 690
Original post by becky2010
cool thanks - was curiosity more than anything as i will be grateful if i get an A lol

thanks again

how did you do so much better in c3 than c2? :eek:
Reply 691
Original post by Amit92
Hey,

Can someone explain on how to get an A* in A-level Maths please? Ive heard so many different things like...

- Getting it by getting 70% at AS-level Minimum and 90% at A2 with 90% average in C3/C4.

- 80% at AS-level and 90% in A2 with 90% average in C3/C4.

Thanks.

It's down to what exam board you're in, I suppose. But, what I will be listing out to get an A* is for A Level Maths of OCR MEI.

-A overall
-Average 90% in C3 and C4

To get an A, ie 480 UMS, there are 'combos' that you can pick from

-M1, M2
-M1, S1
-S1, S2
-M1, D1

For Further Maths, however, there is more flexibility to get an A*, which is fairly impossible but worth a try. You would also need an A overall OR an average of 90& in your best 3 A2 units, namely, M2, S2, S3, FP2.

There was a girl who was offered BB but she got AC, so of course, she was declined. But it was only after some reshuffling of the units to get an A did she managed to get into that uni! Just talk to your teacher(s).
Reply 692
Original post by Vav123
how did you do so much better in c3 than c2? :eek:

lol honestly? i didnt really go to class so i missed a lot of C2 work - i think i should resit it in summer incase i mess up C4/S1 though...

edit

haha negative rating....JEALOUS MUCH?
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes it is.

Original post by Qi Jia
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't A* achieved by having:
90% average across A2 modules AND 80% average across AS+A2 Modules?

Sorry, my mistake. I meant to write it IS 90% average, hence why you need 106 UMS only. Apoligies for confusion >_<
Reply 694

I can but I am pretty sure they didn't specify a set percentage, rather they change it from year to year. I tried looking on edexcel website but frankly I found it very confusing.

And yes the last one should be out of 60, sorry.
Reply 695
Can anyone help me out here?

Just wondering what I need to do to get an A* in Business Studies with AQA

Unit 1: 66/80 A
Unit 2 93/120 B

Overall for AS: 159/200 B (1 mark of an A)

Unit 3: 100/100 A
Unit 4: (Sitting in Summer)

Do I have to resit Unit 2 to get an A in that? Or can I leave it at that and hope I get over 90 in Unit 4 and get an overall A in terms of AS + A2?

Thanks
Original post by Hoffs

Unit 2 93/120 B

Do I have to resit Unit 2 to get an A in that? Or can I leave it at that and hope I get over 90 in Unit 4 and get an overall A in terms of AS + A2?

Thanks

You need 61/100 in the fourth module to get an A overall, or 80 to get an A*.

I can't believe that even students of A level maths are posting to have people calculate percentages for them. This is primary school level maths and nobody capable of going to university should have any difficulty with it.
Reply 697
Original post by Hoffs

Unit 2 93/120 B

Thanks

An Overall A is 320/400 UMS so to get a overall A 320-259= 61UMS in unit 4
To get a A* you need 180/200 at least in A2 so if you get the 80 you need for a A* in unit 4 you will achieve the A grade. I'd only resit Unit 2 if you were really not confident on Unit 4 otherwise if you got a D you wouldn't get a A overall but you seem confident and a good Unit 3 score so I think you'll be fine.

Just in case you were confused at the A* it is for a 90% average accross both the A2's so you only need to get 80 in Unit 4 with 100 in Unit 3 not 90 :smile: little less pressure.:wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 698
In my college i was told that i could only get an A* if i got 80% or above in each AS unit and then 90% at A2. But then others say you just need 80% average:s-smilie:

I was told i could only get an A with the following results (AQA Lit):
AS:
86/120=B
74/80=A

A2:
102/120
coursework to do.

Is an A* achievable if i do really well in my cwk?

Thanks!
(Sorry if this has been answered/addressed, it's just everyone's told me something different, so just need it clarified)
(edited 13 years ago)
Could anyone help me concerning the A* grade on OCR?
For one of my AS January modules (Psychology) I received a B, which I worked out was approximately 71%. I know I could have obtained a higher grade, so I wish to retake. However, if you retake a module on OCR does that automatically exclude you from receiving the A* grade in A2 (if you have met the requirements)? If not, could I still achieve an A* regardless of that grade if I try to get a high A in my next module to bring up my marks? I'm just a bit confused because one of my teachers said you cannot get an A* if you do retakes.

Quick Reply

Latest