The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Oh yeah, and I'm booking an advance ticket. So will the price change if I book it today or tomorrow?

:redface::redface:
TG777
I've been on a train a few times before, but it's been with other people so I've just followed.

I have to use a train on my own for the first time and I have a few Qs (they may sound stupid).

I'm booking a ticket online - so when I get it out the machines at the station will the platform number etc be on it?

Also, once I'm on the platform how will I know which one is my train?

:redface: :redface:

Im not sure about the first question as I have never bought a ticket online.
but when your on the platform, you will know which one is yours as there will be screens up saying the next trains to arrive, what time they will arrive, the final destination of the train and all the stations it stops at. Its all written on the screen.
To find which platform the train is on if it doesnt say so on the ticket (which im guessing it wont) is by looking on the main screens which should be displayed where you by your ticket and where the ticket office is. There will be television type screens listing each train and which platform they come to.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
When you book a ticket online and pick it up at the station the platform will not be on the ticket as this in subject to change. It may have the time of the train you have booked or, if it's an open ticket, it may not. In the first case just find the Departures board (TVs placed in the station) and look for your train, they will be in order of time of departure. The board will display what platform your train will be leaving from. If it's an open ticket (ie no time on the ticket) just get on the next train going to your destination.

When on the platform, there will probably be another TV displaying the information for the next train (destination, station stops and time), if you see yours displayed get on the next train.

The price may go up between today and tomorrow, it depends on when you wish to travel and if the cheaper tickets sell out. Generally, it's cheaper to book further in advance.
Reply 4
I have train related question - no point making another thread:

You know how trains, like buses, have there destination written on the front in the LCD display. Is the destination stated the final destination, or is it the next calling point? For instance if the train is going from Nottingham to London St Pancras, and it has two calling points which are Luton Airport and Bedford. Will the train at Nottingham station have London St Pancras on it, or Luton Aiport?
Reply 5
The Stig
I have train related question - no point making another thread:

You know how trains, like buses, have there destination written on the front in the LCD display. Is the destination stated the final destination, or is it the next calling point? For instance if the train is going from Nottingham to London St Pancras, and it has two calling points which are Luton Airport and Bedford. Will the train at Nottingham station have London St Pancras on it, or Luton Aiport?

Depends on the train. Most have their final destination on the front. Others (eg Virgin trains) will have the final destination and next stop on the door.

But the display on the platform will show all the stops for the train standing at the platform.
Reply 6
Final destination.

Latest

Trending

Trending