The Student Room Group

Leicester Grads repuatation

I'll say sorry now if this is a duplicate.

I am in the clinical section of my course at Leicester and almost every consultant I have met has said the same thing along the lines of:

"Leicester students only know how to hold hands and don't know any medicine".

Whilst I am not disputing that either way, do other schools find they have a particular reputation? Where do you think the Leicester/Other reputation came about?

The only thing I can think is that we do lots of psycho-social work in our blocks and this must be the only thing people know when they see us. I've never been to another med school so I can't comment on whether Leicester lack of knowledge is par for the course.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dob86
I'll say sorry now if this is a duplicate.

I am in the clinical section of my course at Leicester and almost every consultant I have met has said the same thing along the lines of:

Whilst I am not disputing that either way, do other schools find they have a particular reputation? Where do you think the Leicester/Other reputation came about?

The only thing I can think is that we do lots of psycho-social work in our blocks and this must be the only thing people know when they see us. I've never been to another med school so I can't comment on whether Leicester lack of knowledge is par for the course.

I think similar comments are made about UEA (a fair number of the local consultants insult the course - usually because they don't understand it :rolleyes: but their usual complaint is a lack of scientific knowledge)
Reply 2
The edinburgh dean said at his talk to persuade us to do clinicals there that "st-andrews students know more anatomy than anyone else, anywhere, ever".
Reply 3
At Warwick every lecturer and every consultant at the hospital takes the **** out of Leicester students, and any textbooks that have things written wrongly get comments like 'Oh it must have been written by a Leicester student.' Basically the impression we get is that they know barely any anatomy compared to what we get rammed down our throats at Warwick, we are hardcore.
Reply 4
snail_87
At Warwick every lecturer and every consultant at the hospital takes the **** out of Leicester students, and any textbooks that have things written wrongly get comments like 'Oh it must have been written by a Leicester student.' Basically the impression we get is that they know barely any anatomy compared to what we get rammed down our throats at Warwick, we are hardcore.

Warwick have got seperation anxiety from Leicester as we had to carry them for the first years of their existence :tongue:

Maybe you know anatomy, but can you hand a crying patient tissues and tell them "There, There"?
Reply 5
dob86
Warwick have got seperation anxiety from Leicester as we had to carry them for the first years of their existence :tongue:

Maybe you know anatomy, but can you hand a crying patient tissues and tell them "There, There"?

As a matter of fact, i did yesterday when a woman with rheumatoid arthritis burst into tears in front of me.

As for seperation anxiety, i think Leicester are the ones who look back with nostalgia at the relationship they used to have with such a brilliant medical school. They long to have us back, not the other way around....
Reply 6
snail_87
As for seperation anxiety, i think Leicester are the ones who look back with nostalgia at the relationship they used to have with such a brilliant medical school. They long to have us back, not the other way around....

I lol'd. Like a heartbroken man at the trainstation.

I ain't got no beef with Warwick. :biggrin:
Reply 7
LOL at the hold hands comment. Makes me feel a bit better about my Leicester rejection, hell if I wanted to hold hands I would join the YMCA! =p
Reply 8
nas7232
LOL at the hold hands comment. Makes me feel a bit better about my Leicester rejection, hell if I wanted to hold hands I would join the YMCA! =p

Someone sounds a weeny bit sour :laugh:
Reply 9
we are hardcore

Yeah so hardcore you were all taught in our DR room:biggrin: .

The lecturers/doctors we see knock us for having our own brand of 'touchy-feely' medicine because historically LMS has put a lot of emphasis on communication skills and much of the teaching in very patient-based.
But the course and the medical school have an excellent reputation, i've never heard anybody say otherwise- and consistent high rankings in those unofficial uni rankings proves it is a well established reputation.
Reply 10
dob86
I think this applies to every medical school in the country to a greater or lesser extent (oxbridge included). No medical student ever knows as much as their consultant did when he was at medical school.
Reply 11
terpineol
The edinburgh dean said at his talk to persuade us to do clinicals there that "st-andrews students know more anatomy than anyone else, anywhere, ever".
Great, where do I sign up... :rolleyes:
snail_87

I don't think your medical school is in a position to complain, they established due to Leicester and for six years Leicester was helping Warwick get started. Has Warwick tried writing it's own textbooks?:eek3:
Reply 13
Lu-x
Someone sounds a weeny bit sour :laugh:

Naw 3 interviews is enough, just thought it was a lil funny :smile:
Renal
Great, where do I sign up... :rolleyes:

Personally I wouldn't.

Added to which the four deans of the scottish clinical schools were competing for people at the time, so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Ontop of which anatomy has to be the dryest, least inspiring thing to learn after pharmacology. Not knowing it is a good thing in my book.
Reply 15
terpineol
Ontop of which anatomy has to be the dryest, least inspiring thing to learn after pharmacology. Not knowing it is a good thing in my book.
This is me you're talking to...
Renal
This is me you're talking to...

Fair call.

This may tickle you on that note (it amused me)

I was sent off into the yonder yesterday afternoon for a thrilling few hours watching a nurse taking blood samples. What could I possibly have been expected to learn watching that. Bear in mind that to put me there the university footed the taxi bill from st andrews to the far side of dundee and back.

Absolute and complete waste of money.

Why couldn't they have spent it on booze like any normal organisation.
Reply 17
so what medical university is considered appropriate by consultants these days?
Reply 18
terpineol
Why couldn't they have spent it on booze like any normal organisation.
On that note, this may tickle you;

There's a hospital in Essex where the IT department spend a good chunk of it's budget on a welcoming party for the rotating in doctors (and sneaky students). :wink:
Reply 19
motiv3
so what medical university is considered appropriate by consultants these days?
Their one.

Latest

Trending

Trending