The Student Room Group

I am completely sick of teen magazines

And when I mean teen mags, I really mean girls btw, because there arent really any teen mags for guys.

Does anyone else feel that the state of teen magazines today are just appalling?
Looking at COSMOgirl/Bliss/Sugar/TeenVogue today, I just couldnt BELIEVE how,TOTALLY STUPID they are. They are the bible for breeding complete vacuous, shallow, whiny, self absorbed airheads. The kind of girl they encourage you to be is neurotic, tv-watching, giggling, OMGing, handbag clutching, eye rolling excuse for a female.

According to any teen magazine today you should:
1. Live only for looks and outside appearances. After all, no one/boy will want you if you look....FUGLY, right?
2. Learn about what all yar fave celebs and what the content of their poo is that week. Imitate them.
3. Learn all the plotlines of The OC, Desperate Housewives, Prison Break, One Tree Hill, Hollyoaks etc. But remain blissfully ignorant of any current affairs, news, or, like, the economy. In fact, the only relevance this has to your life is whether you can still shop-yay!
4. You should always fancy a guy. If you dont, youre a freak. You should be planning your 'pulling' method to 'get your man'.
5. You should have regular shopping trips and sleepovers with a group of your 'besties'.
6. Adore McFly and The Jonas Brothers. Any music from the pre-2000s(omg, thats like,old) and basically any rock or folk, or classical music should be disregarded.
7. As with music, the same goes with films. Only horror or comedy is acceptable.
8. Your parents are uncool and not human. You should act like they dont exist, and demand them, in a loud voice only for money and food, and in that order.
9. Believe that horoscopes are actually true
10. And of course, look pretty at all times. That is your only fulfillment in life

What really annoys me also is th bloody problem pages. They are always the same, its 'does he like me' or 'i cut myself' or 'im 13 i had sex.i didnt no wat i was doing even thogh my boyf sed he loves hes well fit and noe im pregnant wat am i guna dooooooo'

I just feel like there is nothing for me to read. Please, can i have some magazines that are interesting, and inspiring? sOMETHING to have girls think, wow, so there is more to life than clothes and its ok, even a little refreshing, to be different from the crowd sometimes and maybe have, shock horror, some personality, independent spirit, ambition, integrity?
The only thing I can stand to read now are the new scientist and the G2, and they are for middle aged people, for chrisssake.
Is femenism well and truly dead? Why is it seen as embarassing to say that you are one now? Come on girls, lets get back to our former glory and get some respect again. Frankly I dont blame guys for seeing women as easy shags and nothing else. You dont get to see anything else.
.........I dont know, I just wanted to rant

Scroll to see replies

Woop de doo?
Reply 2
Maybe it's time to move onto Good House Keeping.
Read Scarlet.
(If you're over 18)
Reply 4
Yeahh, I agree, I just don't buy them anymore; they're so boring.

whats scarlett :ninja:
Reply 5
Haha OP.....that argument is how I got me self A*A* in English at GCSE.

Agreeeeeeed very muchly.
Reply 7
they dont sell cosmogirl in the uk anymore.

i know, i hate these mags now! cant believe i used to buy sugar AND bliss every time they came out!

i stick to 'Look' now. i love staring at the lovely clothes! :smile:
Its aimed at 12 year olds whose life ambitions are probably getting on My Super Sweet 16. What do you expect?
Reply 9
I read New Scientist and I am no where near being middle aged. I am deeply insulted.

What kind of things are you into? This will help determine what you can read.
Reply 10
Well, where there's demand there's supply, and there's a lot of idiots out there.

Lad mags aren't much better though...tits footy and cars
Newsweek, the economist.
Reply 12
New Scientist is really good actually. Or National Geographic. If you don't like these magazines then why don't you just not buy them... i havent read one for aaages so i don't have this issue. Settle down with a good book instead? :|
The majority of mainstream magazines are, in general, *****. Not just the ones you mentioned above, but stuff like Grazia, Vogue, Cosmo, Now, Heat, OK... and then you get NME which I hate with a passion. It totally pisses me off. In fact, I can't think of a single magazine which I'd voluntarily read.

And rant over :tongue: luckily it was a short one.
I think most teen magazines aim to 'brainwash' girls between 12-18 because that's the age(s) when we're at the highest level of insecurity, confusion and absolutely desperate for attention/popularity. So, media take advantage of it: makes us lose grip of reality and gives us false ideas of 'perfection'. We end up focus on ourselves, more than ever: the mirror is our obsession and the magazines are our guidelines. And the more we read, the more faults we point out when standing in front of the mirror. (Leading to depression, eating disorders, rebellious behaviour etc.)

Sucks doesn't it .. Ah.
Reply 15
Maybe you should stop taking yourself so seriously and learn to enjoy things for a change instead of trying to be brainbox101.
Don't read them then.
Oh, I got so into preaching about teen magazines that I forgot my point:
Newspapers/magazines not aimed at teenagers are worth reading, I guess. Guardian or New Scientist?!
Reply 18
Big business are loving it; getting half the nation hooked on skin care products and other such nonsense.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-485939/Boots-specially-formulated-face-spray-just-3-99-WATER.html
Reply 19
Walkin'Butterfly

4. You should always fancy a guy. If you dont, youre a freak. You should be planning your 'pulling' method to 'get your man'.

I just feel like there is nothing for me to read. Please, can i have some magazines that are interesting, and inspiring?

I know what you mean there, I used to read sugar, bliss, shout, mizz, more, etc.. regularly.. like every week. I don't think I ever saw anything suggesting girls might like girls too.

As for a good magazine, BBC focus. <3

Latest

Trending

Trending