The Student Room Group

Civil service pre employment checks

Hello.

I have received a provisional offer of employment with the civil service. The job applied for is an immigration officer.

I’m now at the pre employment check stage. I’m fairly comfortable that I’ll get past it. The only issue I have is that I’m currently signed off as unfit from my current role. Initial sickness period started early February this year and I’m hoping to go back to work at the end of June. The sickness has been a continued period and is due to depression, not caused from my employment.

I have used the time off to seek help and I’ve managed to pull myself out of the dip I was in.

I’m just worried that this lengthy period of sickness would prevent me passing the pre employment checks.

Any advice/knowledge would be greatly appreciated

👋
Reply 1
I would assume you will be required to fill out a health questionnaire, and if they feel that the answers in that relating to your depression warrant further examination they will contact your GP and possibly request an interview with yourself. I don't know the exact requirements for the role or obviously the nature of your depression so it will depend on the assessment. If the episodes of sickness are over and demonstrably dealt with then their should be no reason for your application to be rejected. Your time frame to have the checks completed by the end of June seems to a bit short, but it depends if you have previously had clearance.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BenTClo
I would assume you will be required to fill out a health questionnaire, and if they feel that the answers in that relating to your depression warrant further examination they will contact your GP and possibly request an interview with yourself. I don't know the exact requirements for the role or obviously the nature of your depression so it will depend on the assessment. If the episodes of sickness are over and demonstrably dealt with then their should be no reason for your application to be rejected. Your time frame to have the checks completed by the end of June seems to a bit short, but it depends if you have previously had clearance.

So if I’m back at work before the completion of the checks then I more than likely should be ok? I’m not even sure if they would ask about sickness.

Ive completed the initial vetting stuff and it did ask for any periods of sickness in the last 2 years. I’ve been up front and honest
Congratulations on the offer!

Even if you're back at work they might as about it. It's quite common in pre-employment checks to ask about any periods of sickness/sick leave in the last few years. The main thing is to be honest and open about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending