The Student Room Group

Au pair?

Just wondering if anyone has been an au pair/ is considering being one. I'm not taking a gap year next year before univeristy, and I sort of regret chosing not to, but instead I'd really like to do something this summer. Two of my friends are going interrailing, but unfortunly I have exams when they go, so I cant go along to. Instead I was going to go alone backpacking to Germany for a few weeks, but then I found out that you can au pair over the summer months, and I think that would be safer than travelling along to Germany.

I'd love to au pair, but I'm quite concerned about all the stereotypes and horror stories that you hear, so any advice would be very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Hi!

I was seriously considering being an au pair for my gap year, and only changed my mind at the very last minute (decided to teach in China).
I think finding a summer job would be very easy. I personally had a lot of trouble finding a family because I'm 17 (for a lot of places you need to be 18 by law or the family just wants someone a bit older) and can't drive (being able to drive really helps). Also some families want someone with nanny experience (sometimes at least a few years worth). However don't let that put you off, I'm sure there will be someone that needs your help. I recommend going to www.greataupair.com, it's really comprehensive, you'll need to register and everything but it's really easy.

Anyways good luck!
xxx

Latest