The Student Room Group

Choosing unis - UCL/Birmingham/Southampton

I'm really confused about which one I should choose at the moment. I currently have offers from UCL, Birmingham and Southampton, and until recently was very keen on Birmingham, the campus is great and the course is quite flexible. I also liked Southampton, though not as much, and UCL was good but the course (I've heard) is quite heavy on literature which isn't quite my favourite thing.

But now, after having been barraged (sp?) by lots of people that I should choose UCL, I've been starting to doubt myself. I know individual reputation isn't extremely important, but bearing in mind that it's between Birmingham and UCL, rather than maybe Birmingham and Leeds, it's made it so hard to pick as Birmingham's reputation is nowhere near that of UCL. Also, I live in London so the expense of living out for 4 years would be greatly reduced if I went to UCL.

Can anyone give me some things, maybe what they've experienced in each uni and what the overall course in each one is like? Particularly just how much literature in involved for UCL?

:eek3:
Reply 1
jonnythemoose
You're needed in this thread as well !

Try to find UCL handbook and have a look at the modules offered, same for Birmingham. Oh and go for a uni you will enjoy rather than one with a great reputation, I know it's easier said than done, but you can't realise how important it is to feel at ease where you are. Having a good degree and relevant work experience will be much more important than the reputation of a university, especially since B'ham and UCL are both great universities for languages. I understand that UCL may be more convenient, but it you prefer another university/degree structure over UCL, then go for it. I could have stayed at home and pay €500/year instead of paying stupid loads of money to study in the UK, but I know it wouldn't have been half as good as it is where I am. Good luck with your choice !
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice! I'm definately erring towards Birmingham/Southampton now, I've had an even closer look at the UCL modules and I think I just wouldn't enjoy it as much. The only thing now is which one to firm. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending