The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No, they don't matter. Provided you don't apply to a school that requires GCSE grades.
Reply 2
well you can check this link to see which universities require what grades at GCSE:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

don't worry, as long as you pass the requirements at your universities you'll be fine. i feel personal statements and admissions tests play a much larger role, so you should focus on them when you come to apply.
Reply 3
Don't worry, as long as you get decent AS grades and you have got sufficient work experience you'll be fine :smile: Obviously Oxford and Cambridge look at GCSE grades more than the other medical schools but their admissions processes are by no means standard.
Good luck!
If you ace the UKCAT / BMAT or whichever test your prospective uni requires and have the predicted results that they want at A2 then you'll be fine.
Reply 5
IndiePixie
If you ace the UKCAT / BMAT or whichever test your prospective uni requires and have the predicted results that they want at A2 then you'll be fine.

Not true, for so many reasons.
Alex L
Not true, for so many reasons.

Well, one of my brothers completely arsed up his GCSEs (far worse results than the starter of this thread) and got 790 on the UKCAT and offers from three of the four medical schools he applied to :smile:
Reply 7
IndiePixie
Well, one of my brothers completely arsed up his GCSEs (far worse results than the starter of this thread) and got 790 on the UKCAT and offers from three of the four medical schools he applied to :smile:

In which case the UKCAT will obviously be the reason for his offers...

have the predicted results that they want at A2 then you'll be fine

So what about Birmingham? This statement implies that if the OP gives the UKCAT a good raping and has predicted grades of AAAA (or whatever) then they'll be fine. I think not somehow.

And that's before I get started on PS, WE and interview performance.....
Alex L
In which case the UKCAT will obviously be the reason for his offers...

So what about Birmingham? This statement implies that if the OP gives the UKCAT a good raping and has predicted grades of AAAA (or whatever) then they'll be fine. I think not somehow.

And that's before I get started on PS, WE and interview performance.....

It's not *obviously* the reason for his offers... but I think it was the major factor. His PS would be good in talking about motivation but he had very little work experience. So, based on this I would say it was the UKCAT score that got him his interviews. I would think that he'd interview well and he had predicted (and actually got) good A2 results. The only med school he was advised against applying to was Liverpool and that was because they are anal about GCSE results and don't take the UKCAT (or any other test) into account.
Reply 9
IndiePixie
It's not *obviously* the reason for his offers... but I think it was the major factor. His PS would be good in talking about motivation but he had very little work experience. So, based on this I would say it was the UKCAT score that got him his interviews. I would think that he'd interview well and he had predicted (and actually got) good A2 results. The only med school he was advised against applying to was Liverpool and that was because they are anal about GCSE results and don't take the UKCAT (or any other test) into account.

If that is true then the advice he got was piss poor. With GCSEs worse than those of the OP I can think of several places he shouldn't have applied to, and that's just off the top of my head.

The UKCAT was not the major factor, yes it would have played a big part in getting him interviews, but once he got to the interview stage it would have been pretty much disregarded as part of the decision making process. The major factor would have been interview performance, not some stupid admissions test.
Alex L
The UKCAT was not the major factor, yes it would have played a big part in getting him interviews, but once he got to the interview stage it would have been pretty much disregarded as part of the decision making process. The major factor would have been interview performance, not some stupid admissions test.

Er... getting to interview was everything so if the UKCAT got him that far when his GCSE results were crap then it can't be dismissed as a stupid admissions test.

As for the advice he was given about which schools to apply to, it can't have been that bad if he got three offers out of his four med school choices :biggrin:
IndiePixie
Er... getting to interview was everything so if the UKCAT got him that far when his GCSE results were crap then it can't be dismissed as a stupid admissions test.

As for the advice he was given about which schools to apply to, it can't have been that bad if he got three offers out of his four med school choices :biggrin:

But if he had ****** up the interview then he wouldn't have got an offer. Even if the UKCAT played a part in getting him an interview, it certainly wasn't the major factor in getting the offer.

And getting three offers was more luck than judgement (that he applied to the right places), the advice was **** if they didn't point out that he shouldn't apply to Birmingham or Edinburgh.
Reply 12
Alex L
But if he had ****** up the interview then he wouldn't have got an offer. Even if the UKCAT played a part in getting him an interview, it certainly wasn't the major factor in getting the offer.

And getting three offers was more luck than judgement (that he applied to the right places), the advice was **** if they didn't point out that he shouldn't apply to Birmingham or Edinburgh.

If the guy in question had poor GCSE results and not much work experience then without the high UKCAT score he would likely never have had the chance to be interviewed - so no offers would have been forthcoming. Therefore it can be inferred that the high UKCAT score was critical in the success of his applications as it got him to the all important interview.

The advice he was given on where to apply was possibly in response to a list of places he was thinking of applying, therefore if he was told not to apply to Liverpool but no mention was made of Edinburgh or Birmingham then it is possible that he had not shortlisted Edinburgh or Birmingham. The advice given would therefore be relevant to the places he was considering applying and not ****.

I wonder if Southampton was one of his offers... in which case the UKCAT score would have played an even greater role as they rarely interview for the 5 year course.

Bigerled91: Don't look at resitting your GCSEs - focus on your AS and A2 performance. Try and get as much relevant work experience as you can and work hard on your PS. People are divided as to whether prep can help with admissions test performance but my view is it can't do any harm to be familiar with the test format etc. Good luck :smile:
Reply 13
Relax. people have got in with less. Less is more, freedom is slavery, war is peace and ignorance is bliss.

Latest

Trending

Trending