The Student Room Group

Is it possible? (Health Care Experience)

I'm hoping to take a gap year 2006 - 2007. I'm in my AS year now, so I would be going to university initially September 2006. As I'm young (if I was born a week and a few days later I would now be in my final GCSE year), I feel like I have a chance, if I mess up my AS this year, to retake them. But if everything goes to plan and I complete my two year A Levels, I'd like to take a gap year.

Is it possible to do a year's experience (paid and trained) at a care home/day care centre? A person told me that they wouldn't want to employ someone if they're leaving for uni at the end of the year. I'd like to gain experience but I'd also like to earn money, and this is the only way I can think of where I can do both. If I work at a home part-time, I'd love to do a part-time course at my local college, maybe in BSL as I'm doing Introduction to British Sign Language in September.
Reply 1
lostinfantasies
I'm hoping to take a gap year 2006 - 2007. I'm in my AS year now, so I would be going to university initially September 2006. As I'm young (if I was born a week and a few days later I would now be in my final GCSE year), I feel like I have a chance, if I mess up my AS this year, to retake them. But if everything goes to plan and I complete my two year A Levels, I'd like to take a gap year.

Is it possible to do a year's experience (paid and trained) at a care home/day care centre? A person told me that they wouldn't want to employ someone if they're leaving for uni at the end of the year. I'd like to gain experience but I'd also like to earn money, and this is the only way I can think of where I can do both. If I work at a home part-time, I'd love to do a part-time course at my local college, maybe in BSL as I'm doing Introduction to British Sign Language in September.

my friend is working at a care home at the moment on his gap year. i imagine they'd be glad to have the help! but the only way you can know is by asking :smile: get hte yellow pages and go round all the ones in your area. he works full time but it's shifts so either 8-2 or 2-8.

i'm intrigued by the comment that because you're young in the year you have a chance to retake - you'd have that chance either way! you can take a levels for free as long as you start the course before you're 19. :smile:
Care homes are usually pretty desperate to hire, i'm sure they'll be more than happy to take you! All you have to do is go through a CRB first but in fact the easiest job you will probably acquire at the moment is a care assistant as most homes really do have a significant shortage of staff :wink: Good luck x

Latest