The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Phalanx
Maybe drop Music. Hobbies never make particularly good subjects.

This might be true IF Music were not such an academic subject and if you were looking to apply to an academic university. Having said that though, I was torn between Art and Chemistry. I chose Art, and it's one of the best choices I ever made, even though people bang on about it being a soft subject. It's the best feeling ever after GCSEs to get to do four subjects that you totally love. :redface:
Reply 21
Doublereedfreak
Ah music is everything to me.

I know somebody who got to Cambridge to do philosophy with a Music A level as one of his choices, and one of my friends has got into places like Durham for History with a music A level. Just saying that music is a valid A level, and can get you places if you put the work in. :yep:
timelordess
This might be true IF Music were not such an academic subject and if you were looking to apply to an academic university. Having said that though, I was torn between Art and Chemistry. I chose Art, and it's one of the best choices I ever made, even though people bang on about it being a soft subject. It's the best feeling ever after GCSEs to get to do four subjects that you totally love. :redface:

Thank youuuuuuu :biggrin:

And about music- GCSE is a proper doss, but from what I've experienced of A level, it's quite a lot more challenging.
MrGumby
I know somebody who got to Cambridge to do philosophy with a Music A level as one of his choices, and one of my friends has got into places like Durham for History with a music A level. Just saying that music is a valid A level, and can get you places if you put the work in. :yep:

Thanks :smile: That makes me feel a lot better. When you think about it music is a traditional subject anyway because Oxford and Cambridge offer it themselves so they can't really dissaprove of the A level.
Reply 24
Doublereedfreak
Thanks :smile: That makes me feel a lot better. When you think about it music is a traditional subject anyway because Oxford and Cambridge offer it themselves so they can't really dissaprove of the A level.

lol np...people who do music are pretty cool tbh...I can't even read music. :redface:
MrGumby
lol np...people who do music are pretty cool tbh...I can't even read music. :redface:

Ah it seems more complicated than it is. It only takes a few weeks to be fine with it.
Reply 26
Doublereedfreak
Ah music is everything to me.

Yes, music is everything to everyone. Doesn't mean you need to take it for A level.
Reply 27
Doublereedfreak
Ah it seems more complicated than it is. It only takes a few weeks to be fine with it.

I wouldn't know where to begin. Tabs (guitar) are much more friendly. :yep:

Music ain't my forte.
Phalanx
Yes, music is everything to everyone. Doesn't mean you need to take it for A level.

Well if the options involving a musical career seem appealing, then yes?
I'm fairly serious about it.
MrGumby
I wouldn't know where to begin. Tabs (guitar) are much more friendly. :yep:

Music ain't my forte.

No seriously, if you're interested in it, just try something like recorder and a learning book and you won't even know why you thought it was after a bit.
When I first started oboe I was terrified of reading music but it becomes natural.

Tab seems very complicated to me :tongue:
Reply 30
Doublereedfreak
No seriously, if you're interested in it, just try something like recorder and a learning book and you won't even know why you thought it was after a bit.
When I first started oboe I was terrified of reading music but it becomes natural.

Tab seems very complicated to me :tongue:

lol My brother is pretty epic on piano, but he can't play tabs on guitar...or play guitar for that matter...not that I'm good at guitar, but I try. It's not reading music that bothers me...just like to be better at music overall. :redface:

Taking thread off topic sorry. :tongue:
Those are all great subjects and if you enjoy them, then don't worry.
Having a language is a great plus when it comes to writing a CV, Philosophy is quite daring and will certainly look fancy !
Music and English Literature also offer great insights into our cultural heritage - I love studying American plays, Shakespeare and the Victorian novels on my course, they all encourage thinking and build character !
as people have said, stick with it if they're the subjects that you are interested in. I was pretty much an 'all rounder' at gcse too but i chose arts based a-levels as I enjoy them more, which I believe is key with your a-level choices
Reply 33
Doublereedfreak
Well if the options involving a musical career seem appealing, then yes?
I'm fairly serious about it.

LOL ok

Latest