The Student Room Group

Joint UK/US

Hi,

I am in the first year of my sixth form college and have recently started thinking about universities and where I want to go. I decided early on I would really like the experience of studying in the USA, so I researched that and found because I would not be getting any student loans, it would not be financially viable.

I heard from an advisor at my college that I could do a year or two studying here in the UK, and then carry on with the course for a year in the US. This is something I am very interested in as the cost would be much less due to the UK university funding being helped by the student loan.

However, I haven't started researching and I thought it would be best to ask here about this. Is there a specific university I would have to go to in order to this, or is there a specific course I would have to do at Uni? Has anyone got any experiences of this and if so how did it go and which two universities did you study at?

Thanks for any help,
Tim
Which universities were you thinking of? Some schools such as Harvard and Yale offer needs-based financial aid to international students in the same way as US students, making the cost of attending similar or even less than in this country.

A good place to start is here http://www.fulbright.co.uk/study-in-the-us/undergraduate-study
Reply 2
I know plenty of examples of students from Edinburgh spending their third year at a variety of UC campuses - worth further investigation.

H/Y, Princeton, and many others operate needs-blind acceptance, followed by substantial support for international applicants. This offering is relatively new (4 years) and therefore one of the major misconceptions about applying to US university.
Reply 3
A small number of schools are wholly need-blind for international admits, you apply based on merit and they meet whatever financial needs you may have without disadvantage (HYP comes to mind), at many others you are disadvantaged if you want money, but will get money if they take you, so then it will be financially viable.

Many US schools also take transfers, but I'm not positive that transfers get the financial perks available to those going for the full four years?

From some TSR/UCASsing I think there are quite a few British uni. courses "with a year in North America" so you could look into one of those degrees, though clearly the particular institution in North America where you would attend would vary from course to course (worth checking).

Latest

Trending

Trending