The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ahh okay then, thanks :smile:
Reply 21
Welcome.
Reply 22
If you're thinking of doing AS Maths then don't bother with doing Intermediate GCSE Maths. You'll find the gap is too big between the two as you'll need to catch up on the stuff you would be doing in the Higher paper.

If you got a D the first time, what makes you think you'll get a B this time? If you got a grade D because you didn't put in enough effort then you probably can get a B. I'm not trying to put you off or anything but A-level Maths requires a lot of hard work. In my opinion, its not just a test of your mathematical ability, but also a test of how much work you can cope with. If you get a B at GCSE then I'd say go for it (I got a B at GCSE and was predicted a B but ONLY because I work really hard at it), but do the Higher paper instead otherwise you'll find yourself left behind rather quickly if you don't.
Reply 23
Chris87
If you're thinking of doing AS Maths then don't bother with doing Intermediate GCSE Maths. You'll find the gap is too big between the two as you'll need to catch up on the stuff you would be doing in the Higher paper.

If you got a D the first time, what makes you think you'll get a B this time? If you got a grade D because you didn't put in enough effort then you probably can get a B. I'm not trying to put you off or anything but A-level Maths requires a lot of hard work. In my opinion, its not just a test of your mathematical ability, but also a test of how much work you can cope with. If you get a B at GCSE then I'd say go for it (I got a B at GCSE and was predicted a B but ONLY because I work really hard at it), but do the Higher paper instead otherwise you'll find yourself left behind rather quickly if you don't.

It's possible to get a grade D if you work hard. My friend got a D in the first place, and when he re sat it, he got a B. In my school intermediate maths at grade B is the requirements for A-level maths. Not sure about higher tier though. Although I don't do A-level maths, I'm sure there are some stuff that she will know some stuff in the 1st module. My friend said that some of the stuff in the 1st module is review from GCSE but a bit more complicated.
Reply 24
trev
It's possible to get a grade D if you work hard. My friend got a D in the first place, and when he re sat it, he got a B. In my school intermediate maths at grade B is the requirements for A-level maths. Not sure about higher tier though. Although I don't do A-level maths, I'm sure there are some stuff that she will know some stuff in the 1st module. My friend said that some of the stuff in the 1st module is review from GCSE but a bit more complicated.

My point about doing the Higher paper though is it gives you a taster of what to expect (at least at the start) of A-level Maths. Even if its hard and you may only need a fair bit of the stuff for an A or A* grade its still good to have a look at it.
Reply 25
Chris87
My point about doing the Higher paper though is it gives you a taster of what to expect (at least at the start) of A-level Maths. Even if its hard and you may only need a fair bit of the stuff for an A or A* grade its still good to have a look at it.

Fair enough.
I have done some Higher papers and I didn't think they were particularly hard (though whether I got the questions right is a different matter). I didn't put any effort into my Maths last year for GCSE, so I ended up with a D.
Reply 27
lostinfantasies
I have done some Higher papers and I didn't think they were particularly hard (though whether I got the questions right is a different matter). I didn't put any effort into my Maths last year for GCSE, so I ended up with a D.

No need to do the higher papers, you will be only tested on the intermediate tier stuff. :p:
If I do the higher practice papers, intermediate will seem much, much easier :biggrin:
Reply 29
lostinfantasies
If I do the higher practice papers, intermediate will seem much, much easier :biggrin:

Indeed. I would concentrate on the intermediate tier papers for the time being. :p:

Did you read my PM?
Read and replied :biggrin:.
Reply 31
lostinfantasies
Read and replied :biggrin:.

Ok.

Your reply is quite interesting, lol. It's ok if you don't want to tell me. :p:
lostinfantasies
I'm currently retaking my Mathematics GCSE, something which I KNOW I can get a B or a C in (previous grade was a D. Highest grade for intermediate is a B) and I know it's just a matter of concentrating and getting on with it.

yes, it is easily possible, but you are going to have to work really hard. I know because i had a similar experience. I took intermediate Maths at GCSE (although i wish i took higher) i got a D in my mock and in 2 months i went up 2 grades, so i'm sure you could do it :smile:

If you want to take AS Maths (Statistics) can you not go to some summer college or something like that in the holidays?

Are you still doing your AS's a the moment? If so, why not take up AS maths next year when you drop a subject?
The only subject I'll be dropping for next year will be GCSE Maths. Will the workload be alright, as next year I'm doing A2 English, History and Sociology, if I decide to take AS Maths then?

And trev - my reply was pretty much the truth :biggrin:. But if you really want to know, I'm a tall brunette. Dyed, not natural. With big feet and smaller-than-average ears :smile:.
Reply 34
lostinfantasies
The only subject I'll be dropping for next year will be GCSE Maths. Will the workload be alright, as next year I'm doing A2 English, History and Sociology, if I decide to take AS Maths then?

And trev - my reply was pretty much the truth :biggrin:. But if you really want to know, I'm a tall brunette. Dyed, not natural. With big feet and smaller-than-average ears :smile:.

GCSE maths only last for 1 year as you're repeating it. If you pass it, that means there's no more lesson. If you don't, you need to repeat it. It's the entrance requirement for uni.

Not sure about the workload as I don't do 3 A-levels and 1 AS.

Ok then, I believe you're telling the truth. :p:
lostinfantasies

if you're only taking three subjects at A2 then i'm sure you could take up AS maths. I wish i did as i found i had a lot of frees. Plus, it opens up so many doors for you by just doing AS maths let alone the full A level.
Well, A2 Sociology, combined English and History will be four lessons a week each, and I've already figured out the four for AS Maths.

It looks possible, but it depends on the matrix table (at college we had to choose each subject from a different column and if two clashed, then you would either have to choose that subject in another column or not do the course).

There are so many factors to consider *ugh*.
(Just read your reply, Celladore)

:biggrin:

I'm off to Student Services the Monday I return then! I'm going to grab more information about the course, and see if I can grab a copy of the 2005-2006 matrix table. I feel strangely excited about this.
Reply 38
Assuming that you're following the AQA exam board, here's the spec for A-level maths: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5301-6301-W-SP-05.pdf

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/mathematics.html
Scanned through my college website - there's an evening course for AS Maths :biggrin:. http://www.gloscat.ac.uk/Details.asp?PrimaryKey=64ASB0AMEFYR/04

One evening a week for 31 weeks. Ideal :biggrin:.

Checking out the AQA links trev - thanks :biggrin:.

Latest