The Student Room Group

Whats Going On? No time to reflect?

Does anyone else think that people nowadays dont reflect enough.

Life to many is work, eat, shop, moan, plug in and sleep

Does anyone else get sick of people who never, ever shut up. They say allot but actually they say nothing much. Just fill the time with useless talk.

Its even more annoying since being quite is considered odd, people think youre depressed or psycho. Its very peaceful to just shut up for a week.

People have their ideas made up for them through TV, newspapers and friends so what would there be to think about, isnt this how people think?

There are allot of times to reflect during the day, on the train or bus, whilst walking, when eating, when exercising, before sleeping etc

You just get the impression that people dont think anymore, on top of that people dont smile or talk to other people.

So any thoughts? :smile:
Reply 1
I'm the type of person that reflects a lot. I pick up on the actions, behaviours and moods of myself and others, and I think about everything I feel or do. This means that I know myself completely - I know my thoughts, my emotions, my beliefs, and I understand why I do things. I think this is a lot of what self-confidence is; understanding yourself and being able to analyse your actions and feelings.
I know that my best friend's not the self-reflective type, though. He seems to know and understand very little about himself, and it takes me to point things out and analyse him for him to understand certain things. He analyses other people a lot, however. I don't think there's anything wrong with not being reflective, necessarily, but I personally prefer to be.
For many people yeah. but you can just start reflecting too much and not getting on with it
haha, oh yes.

I hate people who witter inanely when I want to block them out (I wish there was an ignore button irl), and I hate people who speak because they have to say something, not because they have something to say.

Sometimes I'm talkative, sometimes I'm quiet. When I'm quiet, people think I'm depressed, or blank, or uninterested. But I'm not. I'm ******* watching you, and I know all about you, so that I can know next time you're sad but don't know how to say it, and so that I know what to do to help. I'm making notes. And I'm thinking about what to do, what I should do, and whether I'll do it, so I know myself better than I know my friends' phone numbers.

There's nothing wrong with not being quiet, so long as people respect others who might wish to just be left alone for a bit.
I agree. Some people I know are almost scared of sitting down by themselves and just thinking. They try to keep themselves busy every moment of their lives and don't give themselves time and quiet to sit and think about their lives. These people are unhappy though, and reflection just reminds them of the unhappiness they feel and their inability (well they believe it) to sort their lives out.
Reply 5
Murray Hewitt
For many people yeah. but you can just start reflecting too much and not getting on with it

You can get on with it and still reflect, it just seems as if people blindly go from one place to another without thinking about anything.

Its as if life is simply units or blocks of time and people are being pushed by invisible creatures. Its as if they are gliding along if you knwo what i mean.
Reply 6
cpj1987
I'm the type of person that reflects a lot. I pick up on the actions, behaviours and moods of myself and others, and I think about everything I feel or do. This means that I know myself completely - I know my thoughts, my emotions, my beliefs, and I understand why I do things. I think this is a lot of what self-confidence is; understanding yourself and being able to analyse your actions and feelings.
I know that my best friend's not the self-reflective type, though. He seems to know and understand very little about himself, and it takes me to point things out and analyse him for him to understand certain things. He analyses other people a lot, however. I don't think there's anything wrong with not being reflective, necessarily, but I personally prefer to be.

I am aiming for that state of mind.....just not there yet.
Reply 7
Nizzay!
I am aiming for that state of mind.....just not there yet.

Hopefully you'll get there. :smile:
It's something I find strange; that people live for so long, and can learn so much, but some never fully understand themselves.
Reply 8
cpj1987

I'm sorry, but whilst reading that, I couldn't help but think your outlook would be a great narrative for a piece of literature; like an adolescent and their perspective on things; like "A Catcher in the Rye".
Reply 9
Kneechuh
I'm sorry, but whilst reading that, I couldn't help but think your outlook would be a great narrative for a piece of literature; like an adolescent and their perspective on things; like "A Catcher in the Rye".

Never read that, so I have no idea what you mean. :frown:
Reply 10
who cares. we're all gonna die anyway
olegirona
who cares. we're all gonna die anyway

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR
sometimes life does go to fast methinks, but i always try to stop and reflect on on things, but it doesn't always paint a pretty picture :frown:
Reply 13
cpj1987
Never read that, so I have no idea what you mean. :frown:

Read it. It's a classic. You'd love it.

Latest

Trending

Trending