The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

iv seen alcohol for 2.99 in some corner shops. If tehres a will theres a way
make a survey at your town??

Your welcome.
When will they realise this never works.

They have already killed off the pub culture. Why, just why are they always trying to hit customers seeking a thrill in the pocket at such a time of economic woe? It would mean that not only a person could still be an alcoholic, but also a bankrupt alcoholic to boot.

Ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous.
Reply 4
TBH I think a blanket minimum price on alcohol isn't going to be that effective, its cheap alcohol at off licences which is the problem - why punish the pubs and restaurants?
Reply 5
Why does Labour hate freedom?
Reply 6
What do our euro cousins do to handle binge drinking
Reply 7
Perfect_Gent
The BBC is reporting http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7944334.stm that the governments top medical advisor has come up with a plan to charge a minimum of 50p a unit, this would mean a bottle of supermarket wine could cost a minimum of £4.50 so the knock on price in pubs etc. could be a lot more.

Surely this would just increase continental imports/smuggling/home made/hooch etc.

I'm sure this has everything to do with Labour's concern for UK citizens and nothing to do with increased tax revenue :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Bloody government. Most adults drink responsibly. Some 18-24 year olds do so too. This will only increase theft statistics.
Reply 9
gamer91
TBH I think a blanket minimum price on alcohol isn't going to be that effective, its cheap alcohol at off licences which is the problem - why punish the pubs and restaurants?

That's just it, if it happens it's going to be £4.50 minimum for a cheap bottle of wine in a supermarket, God knows what the pub/restaurant will charge. Cheap supermarket cider/lager will go up dramatically and the nice stuff will have to go up in line.
Reply 10
CHAMON
What do our euro cousins do to handle binge drinking

I dont think its that common on the continent. Could be cultural?
Nick_000
I'm sure this has everything to do with Labour's concern for UK citizens and nothing to do with increased tax revenue

But it won't do anything apart from increase possibly illegal activity.
Reply 12
Oladz
I dont think its that common on the continent. Could be cultural?

Lol, and what a culture it is. Saying that, the fogeys of today used to drink just as much, nowt happened to them did it.
Pathetic. Charging ever more money is not the way to deal with the underlying problem. Theft will increase as well, I'll see even more chavs legging it out of Sainsburys eachwith a bottle of vodka under their top.
Reply 14
CHAMON
Lol, and what a culture it is. Saying that, the fogeys of today used to drink just as much, nowt happened to them did it.

Continental europeans (from my limited knowledge of the subject!) seem to have a different attitude to drink in regards to their kids. They're allowed to drink small amounts from a fairly young age within the family situation and dont really seem to go out bingeing in their teens (whether the two are related is another issue).

And yes, I remeber seeing a graph on BBC news the other day showing how much alcohol Britains were consuming and even now the level is less that that of the early 20th century IIRC.
Reply 15
Hey. I'm 17 and alcohol is becoming very inaccessible. I've got to say that the Government has done a very good job at cracking down places that sell to underage kids. Thanks to that it's now easier to phone my dealer up and get some cannabis/ecstasy/2c-b etc. :biggrin:
Reply 16
Possédé
Hey. I'm 17 and alcohol is becoming very inaccessible. I've got to say that the Government has done a very good job at cracking down places that sell to underage kids. Thanks to that it's now easier to phone my dealer up and get some cannabis/ecstasy/2c-b etc. :biggrin:

Hardly. They've barely done anything about pubs whereas most of the crackdowns are aimed at the off-licences. OK, the off-licences are where most underagers will get their drink, but by the age of 16-17 underage drinkers will likely move onto the pubs where ID checking is negligible.

And I'm sure the SNP were proposing this not too long ago up here, except the minimum price being stated was around 40p a unit.
Bottle of vodka - £2.99 Asda.

Stock up guys.
hmm that's not at all good, it would hit the off-licences bad too in this climate methinks

BBC
The government's top medical adviser has drawn up plans for a minimum price for alcohol which would double the cost of some drinks in England.

it says some at the top off the article then goes on to talk about all?

also that statistic in that article is:

BBC
Our correspondent added that recent research from the Department of Health had shown that a minimum of 50 pence per unit of alcohol would reduce consumption by almost 7%.

which hasn't really been broken down by heterogenous factors and stuff like moderate drinkers and more heavy drinkers :s-smilie:
If I'm totally honest this doesn't seem like a terrible idea.... when I go on a night out, I'll take £20 and buy whatever the cheapest and strongest drinks are (normally £1.50). Make them more expensive, I'll spend the same, get less drunk, and not hump the bouncer's leg.

I don't drink to get drunk, I drink to use up the money that's burning a hole in my pocket in a club or a bar.

But then the majority of people would spend whatever it takes to get wasted....

Latest

Trending

Trending