The Student Room Group
If you have a piece of wood, you need a thing that spins it around really fast, and then a little sharp thing that carves into it.
k9ruby
Hi there,

As you may or may not know, I am a product design a level student. We have not been given textbooks so I have had to buy my own and try and teach the theory to myself. I have been doing some past papers and am completely stuck, as I cannot find it in the textbook, or any design sites.

How would someone go about making a chair leg out of wood like this: http://classicturnings.com/images/p_fanback.JPG

Thanks

Since you said "chair leg" you should be aware those pieces in the image are, as the title suggests, ones for the "fan back" design, i.e the back of the chair. These vary a lot, but generally the bottoms slide into pre drilled holes on the seat of the chair. The tops, likewise, then fit into the master-rung at the top. The whole lot is wood glued and screwed, though this varies on the model. It is quite hard to describe on text I'm afraid. I doubt any of the pieces in that image would be used for the chair leg, due to a lack of structural support, I can imagine various ways of fitting it together however, but pieces would still be missing.

Latest

Trending

Trending