The Student Room Group

The Future

Hey you lot,

Name's Brad and I am currently mulling over an unconditional offer for an MPhil in Russian and East European Studies at Oxford.

I am also waiting to hear from Cambridge on the MPhil in Modern Society and Global Transformations -- But I think i will accept Oxford Regardless.

I am currently a finalist at Columbia University in New York, studying Political Science. Studied at Cambridge, Clare College, last year. And did the IB programme at St. Clare's College in Oxford.

Anyone off to do grad work at Ox? Want to meet, mull over questions? Let me know.

Btw. I am off to Christ Church, you?

- Brad
Reply 1
Coincidently, I was at Columbia a few days ago with my g/f, she was checking out their law school. Nice campus and lovely atmosphere!
Unfortunately, I am back in Montreal, Canada.
I am still debating over accepting my offer to study Social Policy at Oxford or LSE, or other non-academic ventures. As for my choice of College I opted for St. Cross.

I was wondering what type of questions you'd like to mull over?
Are you hoping to lead onto a D.Phil?
Reply 3
For myself, I am indeed thinking about a D.Phil :smile:
Yet, it would depend on my chances of being able to secure funding (either from a Uni or a peer-reviewed funding org).
I guess your most likely source of funding would be the ESRC, which is pretty tough. I presume you are meeting the fees yourself for this masters?
Reply 5
ChemistBoy
I guess your most likely source of funding would be the ESRC, which is pretty tough. I presume you are meeting the fees yourself for this masters?

I am indeed going to have to crack open the piggy bank to finance my upcoming studies :smile: Higher education...is it not a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

Being an international student I have not looked into my eligibility for ESRC funding. However, it is my understanding that I am not (at this point in time) eligible for ESRC support.
leafy
I am indeed going to have to crack open the piggy bank to finance my upcoming studies :smile: Higher education...is it not a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

Being an international student I have not looked into my eligibility for ESRC funding. However, it is my understanding that I am not (at this point in time) eligible for ESRC support.

Once you have an MPhil you might be, there are other sources of money but I beleive these are even harder to get (sometimes I love being a scientist).
Reply 7
I did my D.Phil at Oxford (Wolfson). Love it :smile:
Reply 8
Fluffy
I did my D.Phil at Oxford (Wolfson). Love it :smile:

I'm about to start a DPhil this October, in Classics. Can I ask about transferring from PRS status - I guess it might vary a lot between departments, but do the vast majority of people successfully transfer? Is it essentially a formality? I'd just like to know whether I really need to put in a lot of preparation this year, or whether I can feel free to do unconnected research.
ChemistBoy
(sometimes I love being a scientist).

Lol, me too :biggrin:
Reply 10
d750
I'm about to start a DPhil this October, in Classics. Can I ask about transferring from PRS status - I guess it might vary a lot between departments, but do the vast majority of people successfully transfer? Is it essentially a formality? I'd just like to know whether I really need to put in a lot of preparation this year, or whether I can feel free to do unconnected research.

It really varies between departments - I had to write a transfer report and sit a 2 hour viva (zoology). My friend had to produce a mini-thesis (twas huuuge) Biochem. My boyf had to do a report and viva (law).

On the whole it's not a 'done deal', and I do know people who have failed, and being given the chance to transfer again, and some who have failed and only allowed to continue at M.Phil level. However, I'm guessing that there will be depts out there who do nothing!

Have a look in the Oxford website (Graduate Studies Office area), as most of the QT (Qualifying Test - aka transfer) stuff for each dept is there...
Reply 11
I was just wondering if there is any difference between the PGS qualifying period and the 1 + 3 track?
Reply 12
leafy
I was just wondering if there is any difference between the PGS qualifying period and the 1 + 3 track?

I don't think they're the same thing. Won't you need to go through any qualification process in the first year of the 3 yr PhD. So the 1 + 3 track is really a 1 + 1 + 2 track?
Reply 13
d750

I think for Classicists it's a thesis and an informal interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending