The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
I always wonder why anyone thinks anyone else gives a damn about their one word answers to a stupid question. Particularly considering most of the time their experience of the college consists of applying to it.
Teebs
I always wonder why anyone thinks anyone else gives a damn about their one word answers to a stupid question. Particularly considering most of the time their experience of the college consists of applying to it.

Hey, if he wanted a serious answer he would have worked out that "best" is subjective and would have phrased the question better.
Reply 982
Ignoramus
Hey, if he wanted a serious answer he would have worked out that "best" is subjective and would have phrased the question better.

True, I'm just annoyed that someone resurrected the thread.
Reply 983
Teebs
True, I'm just annoyed that someone resurrected the thread.

Now now, that's not the spirit. Let's get stuck in again!

[college loyalty mode]

Magdalen is the best because:

- Pretty, old, deer park
- 3rd in Norrington table (and just to put into perspective how knife-edge the table is, one more first and Magdalen would have been top)
- 60s building outside walls across the river so doesn't taint the college
- Rich (lots of student support etc - one factor that is massively overlooked by applicants)
- 3 years on site accommodation
- Own punts on site
- Own on site JCR shop
- Pretty hall serving self-service food, not charged for meals you don't take
- Huge grounds
- Squash courts, tennis courts, + football pitch on site
- Free membership of Iffley Road gym
- 24 hour library which is one of the best stocked in Oxford
- an 8 minute walk from the very centre, true, but that keeps you fit, and we're right by the exam schools and 5 minutes from the Social Science building, making it perfect location for PPEists especially and anyone else with lectures/libraries in those locations
Reply 984
Since the thread seems to be back in action, despite having died twice already, I would vouch for Merton. However, that doesn't really need to be done, since it really already seems to be winning. A quick summary though: normally top of the table (when other colleges don't cheat), really beautiful grounds with wifi in the wonderful Fellows' Garden, one of the cheapest to live in (in these stats: http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/campaigns/fair/2006-7/CollegeRentStatistics.pdf it IS the cheapest), really good food with a special fund set up by the Crown Prince of Japan for a really high-quality chef, friendly, helpful people and tutors, really nice accommodation for the entire duration of your course, not scarily big (I know everyone in my year), perfect location just off the High Street so central but quiet and right by ChCh Meadow, the oldest college with the oldest quad...the list is endless!
Reply 985
Oh for God's sake, can't we just let this idiotic thread rest in peace?:rolleyes: People would be far better off reading the college pros and cons article on the wiki.
Reply 986
hobnob
Oh for God's sake, can't we just let this idiotic thread rest in peace?:rolleyes: People would be far better off reading the college pros and cons article on the wiki.

You could close it now, then anybody who looked at it afterwards would see that Merton had the last word :p:
He's my totally uninformed attempt to decide the 'best' college(s) in certain criteria:

Cleverest: Merton
Most beautiful: Magdalen
Most impressive, in the sense of 'big and bold architecture': Christchurch
Most well-known: Balliol/Christchurch/Magdalen/Trinity/??
Most political: Balliol
Wealthiest: St. Johns
Scariest: All Souls
Most sporty: ??
Oldest: University (isn't this contentious though? I think Blackfriars is technically older)
Best scarf colours: Lincoln
Best at University Challenge: Oriel
Largest (most undergraduates): St. Cats
Most Nobel Prizes or Fields medals: Magdalen
Closest to centre: Lincoln

Best: <insert your college here>

Other possible categories: Coolest, most touristy (must be Christchurch?), etc.

Well I made a lot of that up but also found a fun website (http://www.chooseoxfordcollege.co.uk/ranking/). What do you think about my very dodgy ranking? :biggrin:
Budgie
- 24 hour library which is one of the best stocked in Oxford

Is it me or does every college I hear about seem to make this claim? Which is a bit pointless anyway, because it could have the most books of any college and still have fewer than average for your own subject.
Reply 989
chair12345
He's my totally uninformed attempt to decide the 'best' college(s) in certain criteria:

Cleverest: Merton Magdalen for not working anywhere near as hard but always staying in the top 5.
Most beautiful: Magdalen
Most impressive, in the sense of 'big and bold architecture': Christchurch
Most well-known: Balliol/Christchurch/Magdalen/Trinity/??
Most political: BalliolWadham
Wealthiest: St. Johns
Scariest: All Souls
Most sporty: ??Oriel
Oldest: University (isn't this contentious though? I think Blackfriars is technically older) At least three colleges claim to be the oldest.
Best scarf colours: Lincolnsilly
Best at University Challenge: OrielWho gives a damn.
Largest (most undergraduates): St. Cats
Most Nobel Prizes or Fields medals: Magdalen
Closest to centre: Lincoln Could equally be Balliol or St Peters depending on which bit of the centre you want.

Best: <insert your college here>

Other possible categories: Coolest, most touristy (must be Christchurch?), etc.Coolest emphatically =/= most touristy

Well I made a lot of that up but also found a fun website (http://www.chooseoxfordcollege.co.uk/ranking/). What do you think about my very dodgy ranking? :biggrin:

I think it's silly.
Reply 990
Budgie

Magdalen is the best because:

- Free membership of Iffley Road gym

This is actually quite an important point. I only found out about the free gym and swimming pool at Magdalen after applying, and I've been wondering if any of the other colleges can match it. For people who regularly swim or use the gym and would want to do so at university, Magdalen's accommodation works out quite a bit cheaper than it looks on paper.
Reply 991
Now, I doubt anyone cares, as I'm yet to study at Oxford, and I've only got the experience of a few visits and second-hand information from students (and I apologise for contributing to such a silly thread),

The 'nicest' colleges, or, my subjective 'best' are (in no particular order):

Christ Church, Magdalen, Hertford, Merton, Keble

ChCh because it's the most impressive imo, I love the atmosphere, you feel like you're part of something grand and I think that would be conducive to hard work, but has a negative stigma from what I've seen.
Magdalen because they're almost as impressive, but have a nicer reputation, very beautiful grounds and from what I've heard, there is very little to complain about (I mean come on, they even get free gym membership). I would have applied there if not ChCh.
Hertford because it is, as far as I know, quite academic and also known to be progressive (if what my Dad says is true, they were one of if not the first to be co-educational and when he studied there had a significant proportion of state-school pupils) and also seems pretty well known. The food was horrible though.
Merton because I'd be too scared to apply out of their academic fervour.
Keble because I actually really loved how it looked when I visited, also known to be a very relaxed college (am I right in saying so? what i've heard at least) and my friend told me the food is to die for.
Reply 992
Rai
Now, I doubt anyone cares, as I'm yet to study at Oxford, and I've only got the experience of a few visits and second-hand information from students (and I apologise for contributing to such a silly thread),

The 'nicest' colleges, or, my subjective 'best' are (in no particular order):

Christ Church, Magdalen, Hertford, Merton, Keble

ChCh because it's the most impressive imo, I love the atmosphere, you feel like you're part of something grand and I think that would be conducive to hard work, but has a negative stigma from what I've seen.
Magdalen because they're almost as impressive, but have a nicer reputation, very beautiful grounds and from what I've heard, there is very little to complain about (I mean come on, they even get free gym membership). I would have applied there if not ChCh.
Hertford because it is, as far as I know, quite academic and also known to be progressive (if what my Dad says is true, they were one of if not the first to be co-educational and when he studied there had a significant proportion of state-school pupils) and also seems pretty well known. The food was horrible though.
Merton because I'd be too scared to apply out of their academic fervour.
Keble because I actually really loved how it looked when I visited, also known to be a very relaxed college (am I right in saying so? what i've heard at least) and my friend told me the food is to die for.

I don't think Magdalen is anywhere near as grand as Christchurch, but it is far far more beautiful. Very academic too.

Hertford was one of a group of 5 colleges which were the first to go mixed in 1974 (Brasenose, Jesus, Wadham and St Catz were the others).
Reply 993
I'd prefer Magdalen to ChCh myself, but only marginally. Both are far too touristy for my liking. Let us know when the constant bumping into tourists in the quad gets on your nerves, eh Rai? :p:
Reply 994
Angelil
I'd prefer Magdalen to ChCh myself, but only marginally. Both are far too touristy for my liking. Let us know when the constant bumping into tourists in the quad gets on your nerves, eh Rai? :p:

I get along splendidly with Japanese and American teen girls :3
Is it common for a college to have access to a free gym? St. Catz apparently has one as well.
Reply 996
^^ LMH does, but its facilities are not great and it's not open before 9am, meaning no pre-morning lecture workouts before it gets too busy/overtaken by rowers :frown:
Angelil
^^ LMH does, but its facilities are not great and it's not open before 9am, meaning no pre-morning lecture workouts before it gets too busy/overtaken by rowers :frown:

Is the LMH one in the college?
Reply 998
AnonymousPenguin
Is it common for a college to have access to a free gym? St. Catz apparently has one as well.

Merton has a free gym on site, except it's more of a fitness room than a gym really, and it's very catered to rowers.
Reply 999
Yes, the LMH one is in the college. It's next to the MCR, to be more exact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending