The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Teebs
Hello. I'm interacting with you again.

i banned you from doing this lol :mad:
The unfriendliest college so far...im my 4 isolated days of oxford experience is definitely All Souls. They were there only ones who didnt let me looking around with a BOD card.
Reply 1182
Vazzyb
The unfriendliest college so far...im my 4 isolated days of oxford experience is definitely All Souls. They were there only ones who didnt let me looking around with a BOD card.

You should have shown them your PhD. I hear that's what they use for ID.
Reply 1183
Serenity1709
I have been recently doing some research into diffrent Oxford colleges as I'm thinking about applying in September. However, I'm not sure which college has the best reputation for chemistry. :p:

I was thinking about St Edmund and Pembroke. Any help? :confused:

This year's freshers at Merton all got firsts in their prelims. In fact, all six came in the top 30 in the year (out of 180 something) and we had 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 7th in the year.

Just to give you an idea...

Vazzyb

I had tutes there in Hilary! The porters were really nice to me :smile:
I am interesting in both Hertford and Brasenose at the moment. The one thing that is worrying me at the moment about applying to oxford is that the workload may be too big, and the people from private schools can be stuck up and stuffy (I am from a state school). I am aware that these are mainly just stereotyoes, and although the workload may be bigger than other unis, it is possible to cope with it..... So basically I would really like to go to a college with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere (it doesn't bother me where it is in the league tables). I would like accomodation for the duration of my course, good food and a good JCR and a good social life, and central location. How old the college is doesn't matter to me, and I'm also not particularly desperate for good sports facilities.
Is there anyone from Hertford or Brasenose who can tell me a little bit more about how relaxed/friendly/social they find the college, or does anyone have any other suggestions as to colleges that fit these criteria? (I want to do biological sciences)
Thanks in advance :smile:
Could someone here help me choose a college:
-Preferably modern, or at least not ancient buildings (because to me, 60's glass = beautiful)
-Not too workaholic, it's already Oxford
-Friendly, no arrogant rugby players/rahs
-Informal and untraditional. Preferably never eat food in gowns...
-Fairly close to the centre
-Quite large

I had my selection down to Wadham or Queen's, but are there any others someone thinks would be better? Thanks.
Reply 1186
Laurenx0044
I am interesting in both Hertford and Brasenose at the moment. The one thing that is worrying me at the moment about applying to oxford is that the workload may be too big, and the people from private schools can be stuck up and stuffy (I am from a state school). I am aware that these are mainly just stereotyoes, and although the workload may be bigger than other unis, it is possible to cope with it..... So basically I would really like to go to a college with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere (it doesn't bother me where it is in the league tables). I would like accomodation for the duration of my course, good food and a good JCR and a good social life, and central location. How old the college is doesn't matter to me, and I'm also not particularly desperate for good sports facilities.
Is there anyone from Hertford or Brasenose who can tell me a little bit more about how relaxed/friendly/social they find the college, or does anyone have any other suggestions as to colleges that fit these criteria? (I want to do biological sciences)
Thanks in advance :smile:

While they are largely stereotypes, I tend to find Brasenose can be a little unfriendly-seeming (I have tutes there) at times, whereas Hertford seems to be a lot more laid-back. It has rubbish first-year accommodation, but it's got a really relaxed atmosphere from what I can tell, so I'd recommend Hertford for you.

Marsha2112
Could someone here help me choose a college:
-Preferably modern, or at least not ancient buildings (because to me, 60's glass = beautiful)
-Not too workaholic, it's already Oxford
-Friendly, no arrogant rugby players/rahs
-Informal and untraditional. Preferably never eat food in gowns...
-Fairly close to the centre
-Quite large

I had my selection down to Wadham or Queen's, but are there any others someone thinks would be better? Thanks.

Both Wadham and Queen's have old buildings, for the most part, although Wadham does have those foul Bowra buildings which might be up your street. Queen's seems relatively traditional to me, though I don't know that much about it.

How close to the centre do you want to be? St Anne's isn't *that* far out (five minute walk up the Woodstock Road from St John's), and seems to be what you described other than that.
chebanana
This is my shortlist in preference order:

Magdalen
New
Wadham
St John's
Jesus

However, I don't know whether to go head over heart and apply to one that is less popular, especially since apparently Magdalen is usually majorly oversubscribed for English (even moreso than usual, I mean).

Please either put my shortlist in order of your preference or tell me if there's one I've missed that fits my criteria. Thanks.

1. NEW

2. all the others

chebanana
Pretty architecture (:o:)

new is like ridiculously pretty - old and castley, and the modern building is hidden behnd our garden, not stuck onto the edge of nice old buildings like some other colleges

chebanana
Not too huge

ok it's fairly big, but i don't know how big "huge" is for you. it's like perfect size :smile:

chebanana
Near the centre, preferably near the Bod.

new is literally right on the edge of the centre - so everything is RIGHT THERE but there is space - the ones RIGHT in the centre (e.g. jesus) are obviously on more expensive land so are cramped and small

chebanana
Good academics (I know they're all good, but still...)

new averages around 6th on the norrington table, whilst not being all pressurey like some others (e.g. st john's)

chebanana
Accomodation for at least 2 years, not too pricey either

i believe new college students are guaranteed at least 2 years living in college

i hope i've convinced you!
crrrrrash
1. NEW

2. all the others

new is like ridiculously pretty - old and castley, and the modern building is hidden behnd our garden, not stuck onto the edge of nice old buildings like some other colleges

ok it's fairly big, but i don't know how big "huge" is for you. it's like perfect size :smile:

new is literally right on the edge of the centre - so everything is RIGHT THERE but there is space - the ones RIGHT in the centre (e.g. jesus) are obviously on more expensive land so are cramped and small

new averages around 6th on the norrington table, whilst not being all pressurey like some others (e.g. st john's)

i believe new college students are guaranteed at least 2 years living in college

i hope i've convinced you!

Haha, cheers. New is definitely one of the ones I'm most interested in. I'm going to Ox on tuesday so I'll have a look then.
Hi guys! I'm currently stuck between Brasenose and Oriel so I was wondering if anyone could provide an insight into either of them? My main priorities (aside from being pretty, which I already know they are!) are:

- Smallish
- Really sociable and friendly
- Good bar
- Not too full of private school rugby-players and rahs
- Perhaps some kind of reputation for drama?
- Not too intensively hard-working (I mean, I know it's Oxford so it's going to be a hell of a lot of work no matter where I go, but lets not push it too much xD)
- Good vegetarian food/catering facilities
Well, I went to the Oxford open day, and fell inlove with both of these colleges. I am intending to study medicine, and St Johns have said they will take 6 students this year and Merton 5. I cannot decide between the two :frown: so was hoping someone could weigh up some pros/cons of each college, or maybe even advice from anyone whos at either college now?

There's a general list of College pro's and cons here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons
Other than that, there's many ways to decide. Think of a couple of things very important to you (location, size, accomodation, whatever) and see which one is best. Look up tutors and their specialties. Or just pick the one you loved most on the open day. Just please don't play the numbers game and look at statistics and percentages, it won't help you.
Brasenose? Mansfield? I'm having that horrible moment where I was all set on a college and I'm now wobbling :s-smilie:

I realise most Oxford colleges aren't exactly 'traditional' anymore, and I'm sure most would have a little bubble of artiness - but is there that one college that's generally a bit more subversive? arty? liberal? odd? My gut instinct was Brasenose as when I went there, it seemed very individual, and characterful and arty, not just sporty, what with its relatively small size and the arts festival but I don't know (:woo: <--- me)

Obviously there are other factors to consider, such as the tutors and location, and I know that it's 'still oxford' no matter what - but I also know that, for me, if I do get a place, the college I'm at is going to really affect my time there. This is really the last thing I need to be worrying about at this point so if anyone feels like advocating their college please do!
Reply 1193
If you like Brasenose, apply! I really don't think there's such a thing as "the 'arty' college", and while there are probably...varying levels of artiness, or something like that, it's not the kind of thing you can easily measure.

Basically, if you want to get involved in drama, music, or anything you want to count as "arty", then it's possible regardless of what college you're at.
Reply 1194
I think the only science subjects that Mansfield offers are Physics, Engineering, Materials and Maths. Wadham is generally known as the most liberal college.
Reply 1195
lol sometimes these questions are so ridiculous, mate I really don't think you're gona find a college which is more 'subversive' than any others. Your Oxford experience will be defined more by who you hang round with at any given college rather than the college itself.
i don't think brasenose is more arty than other colleges, it's just reasonably old and rich so it can afford a reasonably big arts festival as far as college arts fests go. the arts fest is a good enough reason to apply though, i'd say - a lot of opportunity for in-college drama there that just doesn't exist in some other colleges (bitter, me?). also the food's pretty good.
SPSMain
I don't think this question warrants its own thread, but it sort of fits this discussion; are there still 'scouts' in the colleges? What do they do exactly? I'm basing my knowledge on A Yank in Oxford (1936), which might be a bit outdated! :biggrin:

Yeah your 'scout' is the cleaner assigned to your staircase/corridor. At Worcester College they empty your bin every day, clean the communal areas and hoover your floor once a week (and your bathroom if you get an en suite). You can stop them coming into your room by putting the bin outside the door but they still have to come in to hoover, which I always found really annoying because I'm perfectly capable of hoovering my own floor and it was always when I wanted to study in my room, plus isn't once a week a bit excessive? :/

it's kinda nice in a way tho coz you can get to know them as you see them most days - i think most people at worcester got their scouts a thank you card/present at the end of term.
I don&#8217;t know what&#8217;s the norm, but our scouts don&#8217;t empty bins every day. Just once a week when they hoover. Our bed linen is also changed unless we choose to use (and wash) our own, and they look after the communal showers and toilets.
Reply 1199
wjcsibelius
I don’t know what’s the norm, but our scouts don’t empty bins every day. Just once a week when they hoover. Our bed linen is also changed unless we choose to use (and wash) our own, and they look after the communal showers and toilets.

The norm seems to be scouts emptying the bins every day, actually.
*starts a rumour that Magdalen is The Scruffy College*:p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending