The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I was living in Hanoi for my highschool, but my home is about 40 km from it. Yeah, it's great, but my small town is nice as well :smile:.

To bob: Wow, you visited alot, really, I even couldn't go to all those places due to my school work :frown:. Which one do you like most?
Hanoi definetly, can't beat sitting round Hoan Kiem lake early in the morning :smile:
Reply 22
Well, Hoan Kiem is one of 7 lakes in Hanoi, but it's the most famous and beautiful. There is a legend about it as well. But the most attractive thing in Hanoi, to me , is food. Hehe, I love it and miss it much.
BCHL85
Well, Hoan Kiem is one of 7 lakes in Hanoi, but it's the most famous and beautiful. There is a legend about it as well. But the most attractive thing in Hanoi, to me , is food. Hehe, I love it and miss it much.

What is the legend?
I'm pretty sure it's something to do with a turtle, and if you see it in the lake you shall have good luck :smile:
Reply 25
bobthebluenose
I'm pretty sure it's something to do with a turtle, and if you see it in the lake you shall have good luck :smile:

Yes, it's about a turtle. The legend was about one of our King. When he was a fisherman, one time, he drew up a net and saw a sworn in it. Another day, he picked up the sworn hilt under a tree. They were fit together, so he thought it's a deity sworn. Then he won in every battle and became a King. He used the sworn to dislodge the invaders.
When the country was in peace, one time, when he was panting along the lake, a turtle appeared and asked him to give back the sworn. He gave to the turtle, and the it disappeared in the lake. Since then, that lake has been named Hoan Kiem, means "give back a sworn" and become the symbol of peace for our country.
BCHL85
Yes, it's about a turtle. The legend was about one of our King. When he was a fisherman, one time, he drew up a net and saw a sworn in it. Another day, he picked up the sworn hilt under a tree. They were fit together, so he thought it's a deity sworn. Then he won in every battle and became a King. He used the sworn to dislodge the invaders.
When the country was in peace, one time, when he was panting along the lake, a turtle appeared and asked him to give back the sworn. He gave to the turtle, and the it disappeared in the lake. Since then, that lake has been named Hoan Kiem, means "give back a sworn" and become the symbol of peace for our country.

Am i being really stupid by asking what a "sworn" is? =| But that is a pretty story.
Reply 27
ladydeborah
Am i being really stupid by asking what a "sworn" is? =| But that is a pretty story.

No, no that's my stupid :biggrin:. Let's change all "sworn" to "sword". Sorry for my stupid mistake :redface:
BCHL85
No, no that's my stupid :biggrin:. Let's change all "sworn" to "sword". Sorry for my stupid mistake :redface:

Hehe, that's okay. =)
Reply 29
Hehe, Bob, you hit the nail on the head :biggrin: Jogging around the Lake and breakfasting with a bowl of beef "pho*?" is the indispensible routine of Hanoians :biggrin:

Latest