The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Im an ex gcse music student

I did edexcel (was ************* exam board)

and no i didn't do it at a-level; almost did but a-level meant doing it with edexcel lol

Basically, i loved gcse music but i wasn't impressed with the exam board and layout. I enjoy music, but i didn't enjoy studying it
I was 4 years ago :p: I did A-level music & music tech :yep:

Edit: I was with Edexcel for music tech and AQA for GCSE A-level music. Oh and I absolutely loved music but studying it was awful - took away the joy!
Reply 3
I was, I did OCR Music last year, now I take A Level and plan to study music at uni.
Reply 4
Doing Music now with Edexcel.

Will I be doing it for A level? Will I ****.
I did GCSE and AS on AQA.

I love Music but didn't really enjoy learning it as an academic subject if you know what I mean. I could listen to or play music for hours and just appreciate its beauty, but I was never interested in the in depth analysis and essay writing, and I was no good at compostion. So in a way I'm kind of glad I dropped it (plus I got AAAAC at AS, so the C in music seemed the obvious one to drop).

I have a lot of time and respect for Music students though, good on you guys
The Dux
Doing Music now with Edexcel.

I do Edexcel, hate it but we do a different exam board at AS!! The structure of the GCSE course really annoys me though with the 4 areas of study. We have amazing teachers who actually make it interesting though and I hope I'm going to enjoy AS!! Also the problem with our GCSE group is that there are 6 of us, 4 of whom took it because they thought it would be a doss...turn up, play instrument, go home...and so they distract the other 2 of us who want to work...but shockingly only 2 of us have completed and handed in our compositions - wonder which two that could be!! We're the 2 doing it for AS so hopefully the lessons should be better!
guys, everyone, A Level music is 100000 x better than GCSE music! I do edexcel and it's absolutely fine. it's just so much better than GCSE music.
Reply 8
Rosamund123
guys, everyone, A Level music is 100000 x better than GCSE music!

:yep:
Reply 9
I did it last year.
Biggest mistake ever
Did AQA
and haaaaaaaaaaaated it!
sooo glad I didn't carry it on!
It was the teachers that made me hate it more than anything else though.

Hmmm not great experiences !
:smile:
Rosamund123
guys, everyone, A Level music is 100000 x better than GCSE music! I do edexcel and it's absolutely fine. it's just so much better than GCSE music.

Thanks, the haters were scaring me :eek: now I feel better about taking it next year!
Yes, I'm doing GCSE music atm with edexcel
Fun times!! no, but seriously I'm finding it quite hard to revise for...
ChopinNocturne
Thanks, the haters were scaring me :eek: now I feel better about taking it next year!

it's great, honestly! I wasn't going to take it because tbh I didn't like GCSE music very much. but I've really enjoyed a level music, so much so that I decided to include it in my degree next year. I think you have to be interested in it academically, not just performance, cos there's loads of theory. but if you like that kind of thing, you'll love it!
Reply 13
I'm also currently studying GCSE Music with Edexcel, continuing to A Level and hopefully beyond!

I don't like the fact it's an altered syllabus, so no past papers...
Reply 14
I did GCSE, do A Level, and will be doing it at Uni :biggrin:
It's an amazing subject :smile:
But yeah, I did my GCSE music by myself... my teacher at my school was awful... so I went to a family friend who's the head of music at a local school and did it there!!!! Fun times! :smile:
Reply 15
our school didn't offer GCSE music because no one wanted to do it. The closest I got was a BTEC in Performing Arts.
That course put me off for life... *shudders*
Reply 16
Doing AQA. Not taking it to A level; might as well self-teach with the teachers I have.
Reply 17
ChopinNocturne
I do Edexcel, hate it but we do a different exam board at AS!! The structure of the GCSE course really annoys me though with the 4 areas of study. We have amazing teachers who actually make it interesting though and I hope I'm going to enjoy AS!! Also the problem with our GCSE group is that there are 6 of us, 4 of whom took it because they thought it would be a doss...turn up, play instrument, go home...and so they distract the other 2 of us who want to work...but shockingly only 2 of us have completed and handed in our compositions - wonder which two that could be!! We're the 2 doing it for AS so hopefully the lessons should be better!

Ahh...I really, really dislike this course. I play instruments (which doesn't mean I'm a musician) but I'd never done theory before GCSE and I found it hard to acclimatise. Not expecting anything higher than a C and I simply cannot wait till it's over!
Some teacher persuaded me to take GCSE music whilst in year 9 and I think I got A's in coursework but the listening was so awful that my overall grade came out as a C, hahaha.

Decided to retake it this year now I'm in year 11 but basically forgot everything I needed to know since doing it in year 9. I have a different teacher this year and he's not that great; basically I have to teach it to myself.

Fingers crossed for an A grade this year! (HA! :rolleyes: )

Not taking it for A Level. I love music, I really do, but having to be 'taught' it is just horrible.

Exam board I'm with is AQA by the way.
Reply 19
haha, I did Music btec :smile:

You really don't have to play an instrument at all, the only thing you wouldn't pass is the recital, so you'd get a distinction overall. It's all coursework so you can just look it all up online and do the minimum amount for whatever you want.

Probably less musical than the GCSE depending on which units you do, or less musical knowledgy at least, but you get the equivalent to two GCSEs so I'm not complaining.

Latest