The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ghanglish
Unfortunately I'm one of those people :o:

And as you well know you're not the only person around with an MSc in the NEET catergory...
Reply 41
What you're doing is what you have chosen to do. The reason your not going to do that is that you're pursuing something better. The people who go down the route you described find it hard to turn back, whilst you can always pursue that route if you so wish.
Reply 42
BurningSnowman
albeit a pretty small one.

Only small if you pay it off :P
Reply 43
CHAMON
Why? do you not have any ambitions, or you just getting into one of the one listed?

Look at the posters profile, I'm not sure the first applies. Why the second question? Either you're a NEET or you're not.

Which job have you secured for after uni?
Reply 44
Can see it from both sides really..
I think alot of peoples opinions on people who claim benefits are mainly based on the stuff you see in the news. Those vile people who claim disability benefits & whatnot when they arent disabled in the slightest. But then again its not like the papers/tv are going to tell us stories about people who do genuinely need benefits, and how much they help them out.

As for students. Im seriously not suprised at the view people have of us. I get the full whack loan & maintinence grant... and a £1000 bursary every year. All in all I end up with about £2000/3000 a year to spare after rent etc. I spend most of that spare money on a phone contract, clothes, and going out. Id never turn down the bursaries/grants I get, but I get so much money that I dont actually need. Also, I spent the majority of my first & second year at uni getting drunk 3/4 times a week, and hardly put in any work but still passed both years.
Im sure its different depending on what uni you're at/what course you're doing, but its so easy to slip into being the typical student bum if you get money thrown at you. And like the fact that unlike during A-levels/GCSE's, you wont get a **********/letter/detention for not turning up or doing homework.
Reply 45
Quady
Look at the posters profile, I'm not sure the first applies. Why the second question? Either you're a NEET or you're not.

Which job have you secured for after uni?

I've yet a year to go, so don't need to secure anything.
CHAMON
Why? do you not have any ambitions, or you just getting into one of the one listed?

Oh I have ambitions. And I'm doing everything I can to get onto the courses I've listed. Volunteering (an important contribution to society of course), work experience, applications ect...

Quady
And as you well know you're not the only person around with an MSc in the NEET catergory...

Yeah some people I went to uni with are in this category, unfortunately.
Reply 47
ghanglish
Oh I have ambitions. And I'm doing everything I can to get onto the courses I've listed. Volunteering (an important contribution to society of course), work experience, applications ect...

Well to be fair, I think what the article was aiming at was youth who had NO qualifications to begin with, and had no intention of getting any either. Perhaps just claim JSA? I may be wrong, but there was also a comment stating more people are attending uni than ever before. :smile:
Reply 48
CHAMON
I've yet a year to go, so don't need to secure anything.

So you don't know if you will be a NEET in 18 months then?
Reply 49
CHAMON
Well to be fair, I think what the article was aiming at was youth who had NO qualifications to begin with, and had no intention of getting any either. Perhaps just claim JSA? I may be wrong, but there was also a comment stating more people are attending uni than ever before. :smile:

No, the figure you're talking about covers the range 16-24

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/5188075/Number-of-young-people-not-in-work-or-education-hits-record-high.html
Reply 50
Our society really ***** me off, it almost encourages benefits, theft to people from a disadvantaged background. Education is such a load of **** till a levels, some chavs who've been expelled/left school after not trying for gcses are cleverer than some people doing hard a levels IMO. Their life is wasted because school doesn't exactly challenge them 1 iota till they're free to leave, and with waster parents the cycle repeats itself as they havn't recieved a good education either, so cannot encourage them to do their best.
Reply 51
jklmn
theft to people from a disadvantaged background

Education is such a load of **** till a levels

eh? on the first part

The second part is really sweet :smile: - you actually believe A Levels are seen as special by anybody? The gap between GCSEs and A Level is nothing in most employers eyes.
Reply 52
Yes, but they are 'looking for jobs'. *rollseyes..*
Reply 53
Natalie_xx
Yes, but they are 'looking for jobs'. *rollseyes..*

Yes quite right! Around 50,000 people a week get jobs and come off JSA.
Reply 54
Quady
eh? on the first part

The second part is really sweet :smile: - you actually believe A Levels are seen as special by anybody? The gap between GCSEs and A Level is nothing in most employers eyes.

In what uni you go/ course you get on they're a wee bit more important aren't they?
Reply 55
sammy1988
How?

You don't pay the real costs of tuition. Even though you pay fees they are still heavily subsidised by the lovely government.
Reply 56
jklmn
In what uni you go/ course you get on they're a wee bit more important aren't they?

GCSEs are equally important to get onto A Levels, your degree for your job. They are just steps and neither is more or less important that the other in that respect. But as stand alones A Levels and GCSEs are equally pointless.
Reply 57
BurningSnowman
My loan accumulates interest below real inflation, so I am in fact a drain on the state, albeit a pretty small one.

I've also paid a fair bit of NI lately btw, since it's calculated month-by-month in order to irritate students who work during breaks. :p:

Ohhh, how I love the way they calculate NI based on a month-by-month basis. I love my monthly rant if i've worked full time hours in the holidays and see NI Tax on my payslip. =]
Reply 58
TomDut
Ohhh, how I love the way they calculate NI based on a month-by-month basis. I love my monthly rant if i've worked full time hours in the holidays and see NI Tax on my payslip. =]

Surely its weekly...
Reply 59
Oh no. People on benefits are scroungers...

We have known that a lot of them are for years now.

It annoys everyone.

It annoys me, and im on benefits to get myself through college.

So what, you cant do anything about it, and compaining is annoying.
So dont complain. Its more annoying than people being on benefits who dont need them

Latest

Trending

Trending