The Student Room Group
I'm in a similar position though it is maths I was thinking about... is it possible to complete an A-level in 1 year? I know it's audacious but I wouldn't want to stay at college for 3 years.
With maths and further maths you should find the core of AS physics very easy as you will have covered it in mechs 1 (and 2 if you did it). I can't really distinguish between the AS an A2 courses any more in my memory but AS physics is the easiest of the sciences (if you're good at maths). With tuition it would dfinitely be possible, and you can always retake some modules if they go badly. The biggest hurdle would be persuading the school to allow you to do A2. :smile:
stratomaster
I'm in a similar position though it is maths I was thinking about... is it possible to complete an A-level in 1 year? I know it's audacious but I wouldn't want to stay at college for 3 years.

Yes - I did. (so did TomX effectively)
Is this in your A2 year?
Reply 4
I learnt maths AS over the summer, and sat it in January this year (and got an A! :p: Go me!). I'm not sure how it compares to physics, but it is perfectly do-able.
Yes it's definitely possible. The problems with self teaching AS physics and attempting to do A2 all in one year is
1. you'll have to work hard over the summer (!)
2. the practical element in physics
3. doing A2 physics will be very difficult because other A2 physicists will already have done a chapter or 2 during their last term in AS (so you'll have to continue self teaching for a bit); and because A2 requires core AS knowledge which you'll only just have done.

Have a chat with your 6th form head / head of physics, but it's definitely possible if you put in the hours.
Golden Maverick
Yes - I did. (so did TomX effectively)
Is this in your A2 year?

I would do it in my A2 year yeah, is that what you mean? I'm currently in my first year doing As's!
stratomaster
I would do it in my A2 year yeah. I'm currently in my first year doing As's!

Again, ask your teachers, but it is possible - everyone who does maths and further maths does this.
Reply 8
Thanks for all the feedback :smile:

My Maths teacher is great and supportive and believes I'd be able to do AS over the summer (despite how we've not done any Mechanics yet) and fortunately the Head of Further Maths is also the Head of Physics and he believes if I can do well in Maths (which my Maths teacher has told him so) he believes I can do well in Physics (and in particular A2, which is more maths based, he said) despite how I only got a C (dual award) in GCSE.

The only problem I can think of (which has been mentioned in this thread) is the practical side of Physics, I think I would be able to do all the theoretical side of Physics during the summer and then any practical work that needed to be done (i.e. coursework) would be done next September.

Latest

Trending

Trending