The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Not to rain on your parade, but the number of people who get in after a rejection first time are tiny -

Are there any publically available statistics to show this
Reply 21
I don't believe so, but the Reporter just published an edition which has application statistics if you want to try and glean anything from that.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2008-09/special/
Reply 22
thats the thing, i really want to work for a top law firm in the future, but mainly more on the commercial side. are you sure they are that oxbridge biased?
jonny1403
thats the thing, i really want to work for a top law firm in the future, but mainly more on the commercial side. are you sure they are that oxbridge biased?

Yes. A friend of mine is a lawyer employed by the government, and he regularly sees lawyers sporting their old college scarves about the place :facepalm:

Reply 24
jonny1403

Most firms - especially in the Magic Circle - have become much, much less Oxbridge-biased over the past few years. As long as you are at a decent top-10 university, you'll be fine. Things like your grades and extra-curricular activities become far more important than the university you attend.
Reply 25
christ now im confused. ife swung from one end of the scaleand back again in a day. thanks for all the advice people.
jonny1403
christ now im confused. ife swung from one end of the scaleand back again in a day. thanks for all the advice people.

I would not reapply to Oxbridge if I wasn't thrilled at losing a year and didn't really think I'd have a much better University experience there than elsewhere. If you come here you have to really love your subject, because otherwise the workload will make you hate it. People who are in it just for the success at the end often hate their undergrad experience, which is a shame.

I did reapply and got in, but in my case I wasn't losing a year to do that (applied deferred entry the first time) - and also I was very sure that I'd enjoy the course and Uni experience here more than elsewhere. So I'm not exactly a relevant example.
Reply 27
if it was just about the sucess theres not a chance in hell id be reapplying, i loved it at the open day, loved the city, the course, the lecturers , everything. if it was anything else i wouldnt be considering this.
jonny1403
if it was just about the sucess theres not a chance in hell id be reappliyng, i loved it at thne open day, loved the city, the course, the lecturers , everything. if it was anything else i wouldnt be considering this.

Fair enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending