The Student Room Group

Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
can anyone tell me how is sheffield for LLB Law?!?!
Latest Times League table for Law:

1 Cambridge
2 Oxford
3 Univ Coll London
4 LSE
5 Aberdeen
6 Durham
7 Nottingham
8 Edinburgh
9 King's Coll London
10 Manchester
11= Leeds
11= Warwick
13 Glasgow
14 Strathclyde
15 Queen Mary
16 Dundee
17 Queens, Belfast
18 SOAS
19 Bristol
20 Kent
Reply 382
I'm sorry, but Strathclyde, Dundee, Aberdeen and QMUL all above Bristol? It doesn't make sense...
Reply 383
OsK
can anyone tell me how is sheffield for LLB Law?!?!

My law tutor at college claims it is just outside the top 10, and certainly in the top 15.
Reply 384
*mims*
I'm sorry, but Strathclyde, Dundee, Aberdeen and QMUL all above Bristol? It doesn't make sense...

It makes alot of sense IMO:biggrin:
Reply 385
Medusa
It makes alot of sense IMO:biggrin:

I partly agree with you. Bristol IMO is too highly rated, not to say it is a bad uni for law.
Reply 386
Hey guys! I just posted this on the other thread, but thouht it was interesting and might put some peoples' minds to rest (as seen as there seems to be lots of rivalry!! LOL!! and some people are worried about their choices based on some of the posts on here)! here goes...!

My dad spoke with one of his friends today (who is a partner in a top london law firm) and he asked her to name what was, in her opinion, the best set of universities for law. She said other than Oxford and Cambridge (she went to the former), Bristol, Durham and Warwick. Warwick being 'the new kid on the block' (AND there was no prompting LOL)! She also said that although Oxford and Cambridge were still popular and prestigious; employers are beginning to question their candidates' credentials (they seem to select more based on class than intelligence), and that their courses were not always suited to preparing a candidate for life in a 'magic circle' law firm (their courses being very theoretical and less on the practical side of things). She advised that Warwick would be an excellent choice and that of the three it seems to have one of the best courses (placing law in cotext or something) and that the very practiacal approach of these 3 unis is very impressve. She also mentioned that law firms are recruiting less and less based on universities and more on extra curricular and standard of degree (based on the Idea that law firms are profit making organisations and they hire the people who are going to make them the most money i.e. the best, rather than just Oxbridge candidates who may make the firm look elitest.) I didn't really understand all she was saying (as I've not fully researched Warwick or Bristol's degree courses) but I think the main drift of it was Quality of Candidate (which has nothing to do with University) opposed to Class of Candidate (elitist Unis)!! Hope that helps some people as it is a professional's opinnion who is actually involved in recruitment in these firms.!! It is after all, however the opinion of only one person! so take it as you will! rather promising I'd say though!!!

Any questions just ask n ill ask the old man if she said anything more! !LOL!

Smash
Reply 387
Screeb0i
Hey guys! I just posted this on the other thread, but thouht it was interesting and might put some peoples' minds to rest (as seen as there seems to be lots of rivalry!! LOL!! and some people are worried about their choices based on some of the posts on here)! here goes...!

My dad spoke with one of his friends today (who is a partner in a top london law firm) and he asked her to name what was, in her opinion, the best set of universities for law. She said other than Oxford and Cambridge (she went to the former), Bristol, Durham and Warwick. Warwick being 'the new kid on the block' (AND there was no prompting LOL)! She also said that although Oxford and Cambridge were still popular and prestigious; employers are beginning to question their candidates' credentials (they seem to select more based on class than intelligence), and that their courses were not always suited to preparing a candidate for life in a 'magic circle' law firm (their courses being very theoretical and less on the practical side of things). She advised that Warwick would be an excellent choice and that of the three it seems to have one of the best courses (placing law in cotext or something) and that the very practiacal approach of these 3 unis is very impressve. She also mentioned that law firms are recruiting less and less based on universities and more on extra curricular and standard of degree (based on the Idea that law firms are profit making organisations and they hire the people who are going to make them the most money i.e. the best, rather than just Oxbridge candidates who may make the firm look elitest.) I didn't really understand all she was saying (as I've not fully researched Warwick or Bristol's degree courses) but I think the main drift of it was Quality of Candidate (which has nothing to do with University) opposed to Class of Candidate (elitist Unis)!! Hope that helps some people as it is a professional's opinnion who is actually involved in recruitment in these firms.!! It is after all, however the opinion of only one person! so take it as you will! rather promising I'd say though!!!

Any questions just ask n ill ask the old man if she said anything more! !LOL!

Smash

A partner in a top London firm would not even mention any of the London colleges?! Interesting.
Reply 388
legal_mc
A partner in a top London firm would not even mention any of the London colleges?! Interesting.

LOL. Did you not read the underlying message in that post??? Let an Engineer re-emphasise the premise:

"I think the main drift of it was Quality of Candidate (which has nothing to do with University) opposed to Class of Candidate (elitist Unis)!!"

Anyway, maybe the recruiter was a Northerner :p:
Reply 389
legal_mc

well... actually, no! Im sorry if that upsets you... but she mentioned the first universities that came into her mind (this does not necessarily mean that London universities are not rated... it just means that they were the ones that immediately jumped out at her) and as I said... there was no prompting. My dad is one of the developers of the new (and controversial)LOL NHS computer systems and therefore comes into contact with her quite alot and the only other uni he asked her about (after all of this) was UCL (which was where I was planning to reapply to beacuse of how much it is bigged up on here). She said that it is a top quality uni... but not worth a year out to reapply too (as seen asi in her opinion the course at Warwick is better ... and she said few ppl form UCL occupy the top spots in her firm)! She also said it would be damn expensive for northeners like us to put me through uni in London)! lol! TBH i think you read the post wrong, it is MEANT to put peoples minds at rest because, not only me, but other people have been worried by posts on here slating their unis, and have almost dropped out to reapply believing that their careers will be severly hindered if they don't go to a London uni or whatever. This is totally unfar on them and it detracts from their immense achievement of getting into unis like Warwick or Bristol. And i think it is better to have the opinion of an EXPERT rather than a teenager who thinks they know it all or a person who is biased towards their own uni (as i have no doubt you are)! Its just abit of perspective. Get over it.
Reply 390
"Partner at top London Law firm" - very vague concept...

Anyway - anyone who tells you that all things being equal Warwick > LSE is in a very small minority or a very padded room.
Reply 391
Lawz-
"Partner at top London Law firm" - very vague concept...

Anyway - anyone who tells you that all things being equal Warwick > LSE is in a very small minority or a very padded room.

Again, you are missing the point. The post was not to start off some discussion on which university is better (although certain elements of reported speach imply it).. it was simply to put peoples minds to rest. it is not fair to detract from other people's achievements by saying things along the lines of ... if you go to LSE the world is at your feet, and if you don't then it isn't. I'm sorry if i've started something controversial... but you all KNOW already that London unis have good reps and career chances... they ALWAYS HAVE (it goes without saying).. it would be like debating whether Cambridge is a top uni or not... the answer is simple. My post, and the reason for me asking my dad to enquire was to put the mins of people who are going to unis like Warwick at rest. Some people on here seem to be very eltist or one dimensonal and believe that without a London Uni or Oxbridge there is no chance of hitting the top. I am just saying, that a person ACTUALLY IN A TOP LAW FIRM disagrees and when asked, other unis came to mind first... meaning that you are not immediately at a disadvantage with a degree from Bristol/Warwick/QMUL or whatever (this i believe should be re assuring for everyone)!.
Reply 392
Screeb0i
well... actually, no! Im sorry if that upsets you... but she mentioned the first universities that came into her mind (this does not necessarily mean that London universities are not rated... it just means that they were the ones that immediately jumped out at her) and as I said... there was no prompting. My dad is one of the developers of the new (and controversial)LOL NHS computer systems and therefore comes into contact with her quite alot and the only other uni he asked her about (after all of this) was UCL (which was where I was planning to reapply to beacuse of how much it is bigged up on here). She said that it is a top quality uni... but not worth a year out to reapply too (as seen asi in her opinion the course at Warwick is better ... and she said few ppl form UCL occupy the top spots in her firm)! She also said it would be damn expensive for northeners like us to put me through uni in London)! lol! TBH i think you read the post wrong, it is MEANT to put peoples minds at rest because, not only me, but other people have been worried by posts on here slating their unis, and have almost dropped out to reapply believing that their careers will be severly hindered if they don't go to a London uni or whatever. This is totally unfar on them and it detracts from their immense achievement of getting into unis like Warwick or Bristol. And i think it is better to have the opinion of an EXPERT rather than a teenager who thinks they know it all or a person who is biased towards their own uni (as i have no doubt you are)! Its just abit of perspective. Get over it.

No, it didnt upset me in any way. I personally think theirs nothing in it between the London and non-London unis. I was just thinking its strange that for someone who is a partner in a London firm, the first unis that pop into their mind arent LSE, UCL & KCL.
Reply 393
legal_mc
No, it didnt upset me in any way. I personally think theirs nothing in it between the London and non-London unis. I was just thinking its strange that for someone who is a partner in a London firm, the first unis that pop into their mind arent LSE, UCL & KCL.

Oh sorry! lol! well as i said it is only one person's (albeit a powerful one) opinion! Im very sure that those unoversities that live in London are very very highly regarded. the idea is that they are not the centre of the law universe. lol. Im sorry if i sounded abit harsh in my last post! twas not intended! :smile:
Reply 394
Screeb0i
Oh sorry! lol! well as i said it is only one person's (albeit a powerful one) opinion! Im very sure that those unoversities that live in London are very very highly regarded. the idea is that they are not the centre of the law universe. lol. Im sorry if i sounded abit harsh in my last post! twas not intended! :smile:

:smile: No worries.

I just mean, like for example, around here where I live...when people think "top" uni they immediately think University of Manchester (of course people know theres unis better than Manchester in the country but the others are not the FIRST uni they think of). I would have thought that for anyone living in London when they think of good universities the first unis (excluding Oxbridge, of course) they would think of would be the London colleges.
Reply 395
legal_mc

I just mean, like for example, around here where I live...when people think "top" uni they immediately think University of Manchester (of course people know theres unis better than Manchester in the country but the others are not the FIRST uni they think of). I would have thought that for anyone living in London when they think of good universities the first unis (excluding Oxbridge, of course) they would think of would be the London colleges.

haha. that would be logical. which isn't a forte of mine (or many lawyers I dare say) LOL! i totally see your point and it could be for one of two reasons a) she is one of us northeners or has strong ties with other areas of the country or b) she is involved in the recruitment process (interviewing and so on - or atleast promoting) lol and therefore she is likely to hear the names of many different universities during this process... so having a neutraling affect. if you get me. Im not the best at explaining myself! lol! Nice to see someone else on here though that doesn't believe the London Unis to be the be all and end all! YAY! :biggrin:
I think hudersfield is the best university for Law, no everything mwuahahahahaha. :wink:
Reply 397
Coolpartyboy
I think hudersfield is the best university for Law, no everything mwuahahahahaha. :wink:

Haha! Damn str8! altho i prefer the world famous Chesterfield College. YAY!
Reply 398
Screeb0i
haha. that would be logical. which isn't a forte of mine (or many lawyers I dare say) LOL! i totally see your point and it could be for one of two reasons a) she is one of us northeners or has strong ties with other areas of the country or b) she is involved in the recruitment process (interviewing and so on - or atleast promoting) lol and therefore she is likely to hear the names of many different universities during this process... so having a neutraling affect. if you get me. Im not the best at explaining myself! lol! Nice to see someone else on here though that doesn't believe the London Unis to be the be all and end all! YAY! :biggrin:

Ok, cool.

I dont think many people on there TSR DO think London is the be all and end all. I think almost everyone agrees that the difference between London and non-London unis is SOO small that it is insignificant.

I do, however, think Bristol is over-hyped on here...but lets not get into that again.:smile:
Reply 399
legal_mc

That's a very narrow minded view on what one would regard as good universities.

Any good recruiter will know there are good universities all over UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending