The Student Room Group

Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
felicity89
Hello i'm new on here, but have been reading all of your comments. i am stuck between KCL, Bristol and Manchester, and can't decide which to choose. do you think that the fact that London is a lot more expensive should be a factor in decideding where to go? xxx

yes if you can't afford it. Welcome to TSR!.
Reply 581
What about between Bristol and Nottingham?
Molière
What about between Bristol and Nottingham?

Oh my god be careful there mate - make the wrong choice between those two and you will be unemployable forever, and probably die aged 12.

:p: Dude, I'm going to say the same as everyone else, because it's the best advice around. Visit each.

Then decide based on personal preference. There will be practically no difference between Notts and Brizzle in terms of reputation, or where is better.
Reply 583
Ok, was just making sure! I'm choosing Bristol anyways! :biggrin:
Reply 584
Hi! I am from Bulgaria and I want to study law in England but I don't know which universities to choose...I have to consider money matters too...I can't go to London universities because it seems too expensive and I forget about Oxbridge. Can somebody tell me what to do?:frown:
Reply 585
There is plenty on information available here. Are your grades very good? I would suggest looking into places like Durham, Bristol and Warwick. They're all good universities.
Reply 586
My grades are Ok..The universities I think about are:
Warwick
Manchester
Leicester
Southampton
East Anglia
Kent
Are they good for law? And what about the job prospects?:confused:
Reply 587
Unfortunately, having spoken to potential employers Id say you must reconsider London, a London law degree is considered second only to an oxbridge one, obviously you must discount somewhere like City Uni (if they do law) from that statement but London is the place to do law, that is if you want a successful city career.

My mothers Bf works for a large Oil multinational in London and their law department specifically mentioned the london law degree graduates, and their caliber due to the degree.

But. If you are set on choosing one of your aforementioned Uni's Manchester should definitely be your first choice (AAA) kent your safe second (320 tariff/ABB)
Reply 588
deyan
My grades are Ok..The universities I think about are:
Warwick
Manchester
Leicester
Southampton
East Anglia
Kent
Are they good for law? And what about the job prospects?:confused:

If your grades are good then you want to consider durham, nottingham, bristol too.
Reply 589
You must also consider the LNAT (law national admissions test) which is required by

* University of Birmingham
* University of Bristol
* University of Cambridge
* Durham University
* University of Exeter
* University of Glasgow
* King's College London
* Manchester Metropolitan University
* University of Nottingham
* University of Oxford

Honestly, its not really that hard (26/30 first part), but the second part of the test requires a written essay so I wouldn't recommend choosing a UNI which requires it unless your English is a bit spanking. Its something you need consider and I'm not sure how you would take it if your not in england? And, don't apply for a Scottish Uni, Scottish law deviates from English law enough to require a graduate to take the CPE after their degree to practice law in England. It will cost you up to £10k at the most and must be taken before you are then allowed to undertake the LPC.
Reply 590
When did Exeter adopt the LNAT as part of its admissions process?
Reply 591
Not sure, at least 2years I think, It seems a bit over the top for Manchester Met to require it, it would seem to ME (my personal opinion) that the law course at MMU doesnt merit such a test.
I think they started this year, I remember a discussion on it recently anyway. I must admit I had no idea MMU used it!
Reply 593
Indeed, who's next, conventry!?
Reply 594
polish_lad
Not sure, at least 2years I think, It seems a bit over the top for Manchester Met to require it, it would seem to ME (my personal opinion) that the law course at MMU doesnt merit such a test.

Probably not, but it may do something for it on a marketing note.
Reply 595
I wholeheartedly agree with you there, being second to the massive Manchester Uni ordinarily a law student probably wouldn't think of it. The LNAT requirement made me look at the law course there
Reply 596
Good points, but all things considered why would MMU need to do this

Should it be rolled out nationally or would it put off students?
Reply 597
Right here and now, why MMU specifically over say...hull? What key factors need they identify that others dont?

They have succeeded in raising awareness of their law course have they not, every law student now has heard mention of them in reference to learning about the LNAT which of course potential law students all will have been made aware of.

I will conceed, if you can answer me. You have already stated they need not administer it to distinguish between AAA pupils
Reply 598
Unfortunately, having spoken to potential employers Id say you must reconsider London, a London law degree is considered second only to an oxbridge one, obviously you must discount somewhere like City Uni (if they do law) from that statement but London is the place to do law, that is if you want a successful city career.

My mothers Bf works for a large Oil multinational in London and their law department specifically mentioned the london law degree graduates, and their caliber due to the degree.

But. If you are set on choosing one of your aforementioned Uni's Manchester should definitely be your first choice (AAA) kent your safe second (320 tariff/ABB)

Which London universities do you mean? I know that UCL, KCL and LSE are very good universities but what about the rest? I thought that most of the other universities in London are not very prestigious. And I have another problem. Living in London seems to me very expensive. Is it really so?
Reply 599
polish_lad

Which London universities do you mean? I know that UCL, KCL and LSE are very good universities but what about the rest? I thought that most of the other universities in London are not very prestigious. And I have another problem. Living in London seems to me very expensive. Is it really so?:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending