The Student Room Group

Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
It's decent, same level as Leicester i think
Reply 781
nayiseda
It's decent, same level as Leicester i think

So, does Leicester have good employment opportunities? Does it have better than Kent?
Reply 782
An individuals job prospects dont rely solely on the university they attended.
Reply 783
kirstinx
An individuals job prospects dont rely solely on the university they attended.

I know it but when I have to choose a uni to apply to I have to know its graduate prospects. And as I am not from the UK, it is really difficult to make a decision reading prospectuses or websites.
Reply 784
Well when you are narrowing down the final 2/3 which it seems like you are trying to do then maybe you should research the actual cities rather than job prospects when really from the universities you are trying to narrow down they are all the same.
Reply 785
deyan
Can somebody tell me whether the job opportunities of the graduates from Southampton, Kent and Leicester are equal, which one has the best job opportunities and which - least?

To my knowledge they are about even. I think you should call some law firms in england if you are really concerned. And yes you should also look into the cities to incorporate that into your decision making. If i am right and they all are about even, the city and uni is what you want to look at next. But make those phone calls!
I would say that Southampton is probably a mite better...
What about sheffield Law School employment matters?(such as the city law firms and international law firms)
Reply 788
Guys, check out the Guardians University Guide 2008. So sad to see Leeds falling to 28th in the Law subject table. Sheffield's ranking for law is even more miserable.
LOL The Guardian.

According to them, Bradford Law has better job prospects than Cambridge Law, and Kent is better than Durham :rofl:

The most useless table in existence.
Reply 790
What about Leeds? I read Leeds is pretty good for law but what about the graduate prospects? And is it better than Soton, Kent, Leicester, Reading?
Reply 791
Atleast we get some sort of entertainment from the 'useless table', as you have put it.

I'm not really sure about Leeds. But from what i have seen in this forum, perhaps its in the 4th group of Unis. I wonder how does it compare to Exeter. I have a feeling that Exeter is better.
Reply 792
It's not. It's on about the same level.

To Deyan- Leeds is considered better than Kent, Reading and Leicester and probably a tad better than Southampton as well. It's a well-respected red-brick on about the same level as Sheffield and Exeter.
Well, if you go to Leeds your salary will probably be around £45,000, 3 years PQE. Your partner prospects will be good at any firm with under 200 lawyers.

Go to Soton and you will get emplyed automatically by a firm in the south west of the country, but will have a 73% chance of employment at a Magic Circle firm.

Kent will be good for getting you into a job from £25,000pa to £37,000, specifically in a family law firm. However, you will also have a mid-life crisis aged 47.

If you go to Reading, you will automatically be excluded from any job position beginning with the letters E, S and L. You also have a 1.2% chance of being employed on a starting salary of £36,356pa. but will only earn half that as it's a six month contract.

If you go to Cardiff, prospects in the city are good - you WILL be employed by a Jewish-run firm. Your children, however, will NOT go to private school, the eldest because she is a rebel at heart, and the youngest because he is simply not good enough.

Going to Bristol will guarantee you a two year old BMW as a company car and ensure that all your lunches cost in excess of £6.70, with the bills footed by the company.

All of this is with a 2.i though. Get a first and the story is completely different. Your children will be 14% more intelligent, but your wife will have your first three years younger, exactly 13 months before you get your partnership.
Seriously though, stop worrying about employment prospects. Look at the bands created by Lawz at the beginning of this thread, and go to one in the best band you are able to achieve well enough to go to. Below these unis, employment prospects are roughly the same, I would imagine, for about 20 unis or so. Kent, Leicester, etc. No employer would automatically favour a candidate from either over the other. It's mostly dependent on your degree results anyway.
Reply 795
Great post
Reply 796
Danny_777
Well, if you go to Leeds your salary will probably be around £45,000, 3 years PQE. Your partner prospects will be good at any firm with under 200 lawyers.

Go to Soton and you will get emplyed automatically by a firm in the south west of the country, but will have a 73% chance of employment at a Magic Circle firm.

Kent will be good for getting you into a job from £25,000pa to £37,000, specifically in a family law firm. However, you will also have a mid-life crisis aged 47.

If you go to Reading, you will automatically be excluded from any job position beginning with the letters E, S and L. You also have a 1.2% chance of being employed on a starting salary of £36,356pa. but will only earn half that as it's a six month contract.

If you go to Cardiff, prospects in the city are good - you WILL be employed by a Jewish-run firm. Your children, however, will NOT go to private school, the eldest because she is a rebel at heart, and the youngest because he is simply not good enough.

Going to Bristol will guarantee you a two year old BMW as a company car and ensure that all your lunches cost in excess of £6.70, with the bills footed by the company.

All of this is with a 2.i though. Get a first and the story is completely different. Your children will be 14% more intelligent, but your wife will have your first three years younger, exactly 13 months before you get your partnership.

and if you're a woman?
Beenybabe
and if you're a woman?

:rofl:

University will make no difference. I mean, come on. The odds are already against you.

:p:

*fears wrath of Beenybabe*
Reply 798
Beenybabe
and if you're a woman?

Yes- what is this nonsense about women participating in "academic" degrees such as law or economics or medicine.

They should introduce special degrees such as "Kitchen Skills" or "Washing Machine Studies" which women should be compulsarily made to go to.

Modules would include "Loading the Dishwasher" and "How to Avoid Shrinking during Washing".
Reply 799
-_-" I can sense that a war is near...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending