The Student Room Group

Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

Alias84
How is Hertfordshire Uni and London Met Uni viewed by empoyers?

Am hoping of going for the BVC afterwards...does it have any impact on your admission to the BVC?

Do you want to study law at the above Universities, or something else and then the GDL? You'll certainly be able to get onto the BVC from either. I don't know what their reputation is like with chambers, though as newer universities I'm not sure they would have a particularly high profile. Obviously if you did very well at either then that would count for a lot.

Are you applying from school? What A-levels do you have?
When I was doing my research as to where to apply (contacting sets, talking to Barristers et al) I was surprised to learn how highly Exeter Law was considered in the eyes of those at the bar. Most people I know ranked it far above Leicester and Leeds, and slightly higher than Southampton, Birmingham, Nottingham and Manchester. I was shocked as I'd never even heard of it before this academic year.

What are your opinions of Exeter and its employment prospects. I ask as I have an offer from there and am potentially thinking of going there if I do not get into Kings.
Alias84
How are Hertfordshire Uni and London Met Uni viewed by empoyers?

Am hoping of going for the BVC afterwards...does it have any impact on your admission to the BVC?

Seriously? How do you think they are viewed, given that they are two very poor universities?

Badly, in short.

I don't want to be offensive, but if you can't get into anywhere better than those two, don't even bother taking the BVC; it will get you nowhere. People with firsts from Oxbridge fail to get pupillages. Also, if you can't get into anywhere better, you would just outright fail at being a barrister. It's tremendously hard.

To be a barrister, you have to be the best of the best. You need at least AAA and a VERY strong 2.i from a top uni, and even that's probably not enough.
Reply 983
freshlybaked
When I was doing my research as to where to apply (contacting sets, talking to Barristers et al) I was surprised to learn how highly Exeter Law was considered in the eyes of those at the bar. Most people I know ranked it far above Leicester and Leeds, and slightly higher than Southampton, Birmingham, Nottingham and Manchester. I was shocked as I'd never even heard of it before this academic year.

What are your opinions of Exeter and its employment prospects. I ask as I have an offer from there and am potentially thinking of going there if I do not get into Kings.

Exeter Law cannot be better than Nottingham and Manchester for sure! It shouldn't be better than southampton and b'ham as well...to be honest if you look at the times league table, Exeter is quite low, 26th ranked for law. i know the table doesn't mean everything but seriously, it can't be better than nottingham and manchester if it's still better than the rest you mentioned.

i heard that exeter law school is really famous and i was about to apply for it. coz the uni is getting really famous, top 20. it's a good law school, but definitely not as good as nottingham and manchester. where else have you got offers from?
jkyng1
Exeter Law cannot be better than Nottingham and Manchester for sure! It shouldn't be better than southampton and b'ham as well...to be honest if you look at the times league table, Exeter is quite low, 26th ranked for law. i know the table doesn't mean everything but seriously, it can't be better than nottingham and manchester if it's still better than the rest you mentioned.

See, I thought the same as you. But if you look around top sets of Chambers, there are quite a few representatives from Exeter, far more than Southampton/Sheffield/Notts or Manchester. Apparently it has to do with its lengthy time as a Law school and its strong reputation stems from there (been around for more than eighty years). I was not so surprised about Nottingham but it being regarded higher than Manchester did surprise me. Although these are just opinions I got from people at the bar (none of whom went to Exeter) so they may be biased/subjective one way or the other.

I don't bother looking at tables, the Times had UCL as 2nd in the country for Law. I'm sure its a great place, but its certainly no Oxbridge!
I really don't bother with league tables. Some give a good general impression, but through research etc. most of us can determine which universities are good for law. The OP seems to have ranked the universities in the same way I would have done, although there are variations because some of those universities don't do joint degrees - so I don't include them because that's what I've been focusing on. I think the most important thing is that you're happy where you are; there are about 20-30 top law universities to choose from, and a top law degree from there will probably get someone where they want career-wise.

I applied to Exeter because I know it's a good university and the campus is good, so generally it appealed to me which I think is important. But I had no idea about the bar representatives from there, more so than Nottingham/Manchester - to be honest though, in my eyes they're all good so it doesn't really surprise me. I want to do Law with French and based on the offers I have at the moment am considering either Exeter or Birmingham. Leeds/Sheffield are good too, but the other two seem to offer the better courses, which is why I'm undecided.
Reply 986
Danny_777
To be a barrister, you have to be the best of the best. You need at least AAA and a VERY strong 2.i from a top uni, and even that's probably not enough.

You read like a flipping brochure for the US Marine Corps. You are so far off the mark it hurts. Seriously, I'm sending you my medical bill, I'm sitting in a pool of blood right now.

Ash06
I really don't bother with league tables. Some give a good general impression, but through research etc. most of us can determine which universities are good for law...

Good post, I'd say you've got head screwed on nice and tightly. Although, I would say that my friends have had mixed experiences on joint degrees. Did you consider french followed by the CPE/GDL?

When I first read 'here are about 20-30 top law universities' I thought it sounded alot. I mean there are only roughly hundred universities or so anyway aren't there? But actually, yeah, I get the feeling for what you mean. The content of their course is at 'top level', as interesting and as involved as it gets really. Well thats how I took it.
Cowz
Good post, I'd say you've got head screwed on nice and tightly. Although, I would say that my friends have had mixed experiences on joint degrees. Did you consider french followed by the CPE/GDL?

When I first read 'here are about 20-30 top law universities' I thought it sounded alot. I mean there are only roughly hundred universities or so anyway aren't there? But actually, yeah, I get the feeling for what you mean. The content of their course is at 'top level', as interesting and as involved as it gets really. Well thats how I took it.

I did consider it definitely, but I just thought Law with French suited me best. I've heard mixed opinions too - mainly about balancing a social life etc., but it's what I want to do. Doing just French or just Law didn't appeal to me for some reason, so I hope I've made the right choice.

And yeah, there are roughly 100 but you seem to have covered what I meant. All of them (generally) are good universities overall, and they offer good courses. Most would probably only bother listing around 15 though.
Reply 988
Ash06
I did consider it definitely, but I just thought Law with French suited me best. I've heard mixed opinions too - mainly about balancing a social life etc., but it's what I want to do. Doing just French or just Law didn't appeal to me for some reason, so I hope I've made the right choice.

And yeah, there are roughly 100 but you seem to have covered what I meant. All of them (generally) are good universities overall, and they offer good courses. Most would probably only bother listing around 15 though.

I'm not sure a joint degree will eat at your social life more than any other degree. The main fustrations I've heard are people not being able to take certain modules to ensure they keep a 75:25 or 50:50 mix or because of timetabling difficulties caused by being a member of two departments. Your subject choice is also more limited when it comes to writing your final year project/dissertation (if you have one). But then again, some would say you get to skip out on some more boring modules.

I've got a maths degree myself. When I was 18, there is no way I would have touched law with a 60ft pole, but now I'm looking to do the GDL. All good stuff really as I'm glad I was exposed to maths and got to study all the subjects I wanted to. I guess I needed the breadth and depth of a single degree.
Cowz
I'm not sure a joint degree will eat at your social life more than any other degree. The main fustrations I've heard are people not being able to take certain modules to ensure they keep a 75:25 or 50:50 mix or because of timetabling difficulties caused by being a member of two departments. Your subject choice is also more limited when it comes to writing your final year project/dissertation (if you have one). But then again, some would say you get to skip out on some more boring modules.

I've got a maths degree myself. When I was 18, there is no way I would have touched law with a 60ft pole, but now I'm looking to do the GDL. All good stuff really as I'm glad I was exposed to maths and got to study all the subjects I wanted to. I guess I needed the breadth and depth of a single degree.

Yeah, well whatever suits an individual. There's no way I would touch maths with a 60 ft pole. :eek:
And thanks for that information. I realise it'd be more limited, but to me that isn't such a bad thing because I find narrowing down difficult enough as it is. As for the Law/French split, even that probably wouldn't cause me to freak out too much - I just think I'd enjoy the variety as well as the opportunity to live and work in France for a year.

Which universities are you looking at for doing the GDL? Good luck with it.
Reply 990
Ash06
And thanks for that information. I realise it'd be more limited, but to me that isn't such a bad thing because I find narrowing down difficult enough as it is.

Yeah same here. Why I'm studying law because you can swap between being a financial lawyer to a criminal lawyer and all that. Great stuff.

As for the Law/French split, even that probably wouldn't cause me to freak out too much - I just think I'd enjoy the variety as well as the opportunity to live and work in France for a year.

Sounds great, althrough France smells...of cheese.

Which universities are you looking at for doing the GDL? Good luck with it.

Cheers for that. Right back at you-must say I envy you starting out at university. Time of your life when everything is so...accelerated, and colourful. Although I'm glad it's all over. Are you moving away from uni? Best thing to do, by miles.

I'm looking to apply to the BPP law school in London. But the fees, ouch!
I'd personally place Exeter law on par with Southampton. I believe that Nottingham and Manchester are way up there in comparison. If you look at entry standards and applicant/place ratios Notts and Manc are very highly sought after (especially by employers).
Danny_777
Seriously? How do you think they are viewed, given that they are two very poor universities?

Badly, in short.

I don't want to be offensive, but if you can't get into anywhere better than those two, don't even bother taking the BVC; it will get you nowhere. People with firsts from Oxbridge fail to get pupillages. Also, if you can't get into anywhere better, you would just outright fail at being a barrister. It's tremendously hard.

Agreed. However it shouldn't affect their admission to take the BVC- as it's just a course, although they'd have to join an inn which would be difficult coming from such a university. I also agree that becoming a Barrister is not something to be taken lightly: if you're not dangerously intelligent and legal minded, failure is inevitable.
Cowz
You read like a flipping brochure for the US Marine Corps. You are so far off the mark it hurts. Seriously, I'm sending you my medical bill, I'm sitting in a pool of blood right now.

Sorry, I forgot how easy it was to become a barrister.

Y'know, one of those people who gets into a top ten Law school.

And possesses (sp?) amazing intellectual and advocacy skills.

And comes in the top 10% or so of their year.

And passes their BVC after gambling £14,000 on it.

And gets into an Inn of Court.

And comes in the top 25% on the BVC who actually get pupillage.

And comes in the top third or so of pupils who get tenancy whilst beating out all the Oxbridge graduates with firsts who are working harder than ever trying to get the job.

And does well whilst working for themselves.

Easy peasy.

I'm glad your Maths degree has left you so wonderfully enlightened as to the world of the Bar as to be so able to comment.
Reply 994
On a slightly less ambitious note maybe, Nottingham and Birmingham offers....would I be at a disadvantage choosing Brum?
Reply 995
Depends what you're aiming for
Solicitor in the city (magic circle etc.) or at the Bar, yes a Birmingham grad would be at a slight disadvantage to a Nottingham one
Regional solicitor etc., Birmingham will be fine

Birmingham is still very good though (not too big of a difference between the two), but to keep your options open and unless you HATE Nottingham, i would still go for the latter
Reply 996
nottingham is definitely better.
I wouldnt say that you'd be that disadvantaged graduating from Birmingham, however coming from Nottingham would increase your prospects in any legal field.
Reply 998
agree....
Reply 999
where does kent rank in relative sense to nottingham?? and what's the general perception of kent among employers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending