The Student Room Group

Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Allyw_36
Hi,

Wondering whether anyone could help me - should I insure LSE or Durham for Law LLB? I would like to become a barrister, I think. I believe LSE has a marginally better academic reputation, but a) I'm not too keen to stay in London and b) I heard that there's something of a rift between internationals and homes.

If you really want to leave London then go for Durham. I personally can't see why though :p:
Reply 1181
Thanks - yeah, I went for Durham in the end, on the account of, amongst other things, the year abroad that they offer.
Reply 1182
hi guys!
Has anyone faced the dilemma University of York vs the University of Sheffield, like me? Which university is better in respect of the quality of teaching and conditions of studying?
Please share your opinion,I've never been in England, because I'm from Poland and I don't trust Law League Tables because they're different. Thanks a lot!
Sordna
hi guys!
Has anyone faced the dilemma University of York vs the University of Sheffield, like me? Which university is better in respect of the quality of teaching and conditions of studying?
Please share your opinion,I've never been in England, because I'm from Poland and I don't trust Law League Tables because they're different. Thanks a lot!

Well York has just recently started its law course, so it may be exciting times at York. In saying that law is all about reputation and Sheffield does have it in abudance, not to the extent that it may be regarded as the 'top' but none the less is a very good law school. So if you decided to pick on prestige I would probably say Sheffield, but the course structure at York is supposed to be quite unique, so if that floats your boat, then you should give it a go. Whether York graduates are going to be represented in terms of sets/MC firms, I can't say.

But Sheffield would be the safer and better option :smile:
Reply 1184
Thank U a lot:smile: really don't know what to do, but i have time till 7 june
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=8727

this just came out. any thoughts? im a lil disappointed that UCL dropped a couple of places but perhaps it was too hopeful of me to think that it would be a permanent fixture at the top :rolleyes:

at least its still above LSE. :biggrin:
Reply 1186
So I am an international student holding an unconditional place at King's College Law and despite having accepted the place, I am still pretty ambivalent about whether I should attend King's or not. So many people say it is a very good place to read Law, but the Complete University Guide saw it out of the top ten. And i know one can't always rely on rankings... but with the recent drama at King's about the laying off of academics and professors, Im wondering if the Law faculty would be the next unsuspecting victim.

On a seperate context, I am actually thinking of reapplying to UCL. I am pretty much stuck in a dilemma because the last time I emailed the admissions tutor at UCL, she said my qualifications does not fulfill the minimum requirements required by UCL Laws. However, when I emailed the admissions tutor this year (We're not talking about the same person), she said they did accept my qualification and even provided me a minimum grade requirement, of which I satisfy.

Is the prestige between UCL and KCL so far apart that it warrants another torturous walk down UCAS's virtual aisle of torture?

To be honest, I prefer KCL's curriculum and like the fact that they're moving to the Somerset House next year. I personally prefer it over UCL's Bentham House (Any perceived attempt at undermining UCL is unintended. This opinion is purely my own, and mine alone.) In addition, I really like the fact that I'll have the option of doing the AKC. However, UCL's apparent prestige seems overwhelming, constantly being in the top 5 in not only in the Law but also General rankings.

I am being very cautious about reapplying because itll mean I'll have to reject KCL before I can start on new application. And it is so difficult because if I do not get into UCL, I would really really want to go to KCL.

Pls advise? :confused:
adamlaw
So I am an international student holding an unconditional place at King's College Law and despite having accepted the place, I am still pretty ambivalent about whether I should attend King's or not. So many people say it is a very good place to read Law, but the Complete University Guide saw it out of the top ten. And i know one can't always rely on rankings... but with the recent drama at King's about the laying off of academics and professors, Im wondering if the Law faculty would be the next unsuspecting victim.

On a seperate context, I am actually thinking of reapplying to UCL. I am pretty much stuck in a dilemma because the last time I emailed the admissions tutor at UCL, she said my qualifications does not fulfill the minimum requirements required by UCL Laws. However, when I emailed the admissions tutor this year (We're not talking about the same person), she said they did accept my qualification and even provided me a minimum grade requirement, of which I satisfy.

Is the prestige between UCL and KCL so far apart that it warrants another torturous walk down UCAS's virtual aisle of torture?

To be honest, I prefer KCL's curriculum and like the fact that they're moving to the Somerset House next year. I personally prefer it over UCL's Bentham House (Any perceived attempt at undermining UCL is unintended. This opinion is purely my own, and mine alone.) In addition, I really like the fact that I'll have the option of doing the AKC. However, UCL's apparent prestige seems overwhelming, constantly being in the top 5 in not only in the Law but also General rankings.

I am being very cautious about reapplying because itll mean I'll have to reject KCL before I can start on new application. And it is so difficult because if I do not get into UCL, I would really really want to go to KCL.

Pls advise? :confused:

Not really, the difference between UCL and KCL is very slight. If you like King's you should go for it, it's a fantastic university.

BTW the complete university guide is rubbish, it places King's, Warwick, Birmingham outside the top ten, they are regarded as 3 of the best law schools in the country.
maximusbarr
BTW the complete university guide is rubbish, it places King's, Warwick, Birmingham outside the top ten, they are regarded as 3 of the best law schools in the country.

How can they even remotely attempt to justify this?

11 Aberdeen
12 Strathclyde
13 King's College London
riiight.
How can they even remotely attempt to justify this?

11 Aberdeen
12 Strathclyde
13 King's College London

I think they should stop taking such subjective factors into account, there should be a 'prestige' option too. Although prestige can't be measured but there is an air of consensus as to what the top law schools are.

Absolute disgrace, since lots of A-level students actually use this to decide their future.
where is the times 2011 ranking tables which have just been supposedly published??

i really want to see what they've put for the top 20 unis!
redfanatic
where is the times 2011 ranking tables which have just been supposedly published??

i really want to see what they've put for the top 20 unis!

As follows:

1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. UCL
4. LSE
5. Nottingham
6. QMUL
7. Aberdeen
8. Durham
9. Birmingham
10. KCL
11. Newcastle
12. Glasgow
13. Bristol
14/15/16. Edinburgh/Reading/Strathclyde
17/18/19. Exeter/Leicester/Southampton
20. Dundee

(The one's with / are on a par according to the table)
maximusbarr
As follows:

1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. UCL
4. LSE
5. Nottingham
6. QMUL
7. Aberdeen
8. Durham
9. Birmingham
10. KCL
11. Newcastle
12. Glasgow
13. Bristol
14/15/16. Edinburgh/Reading/Strathclyde
17/18/19. Exeter/Leicester/Southampton
20. Dundee

(The one's with / are on a par according to the table)

No manchester or leeds!!!
redfanatic
No manchester or leeds!!!

Exactly!!! The tables is a farce!
Especially this one.The 2010 table made more sense
Reply 1195
I noticed that Queens Uni in Belfast hasn't been mentioned, yet I thought that Uni was considered to be a well known, accredited institute for Law- partly as it's in the Russel Group.
What are peoples thoughts on this Uni? Has anyone considered it?
Where does leeds rank?
TimmyMcTim
Where does leeds rank?

Rank Institution Stu satis R. quality Entry. stan Grad prospects O. Score

30 Leeds 76% 2.9/9 431 78.0% 83.0
Reply 1198
Ivan Stanchev
Especially this one.The 2010 table made more sense

Hey, I see you've got Queen Mary as an Insurance.
Does it have a good reputation? As i'm not sure if i've got high enough grades (I may do, we'll see this summer) to apply for UCL or KCL, but I really want one in London with a good reputation. Thanks.
i know it's reputation in league tables and whatnot is not excellent for law but i was wondering what do the other members of the forum think of southampton?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending