The Student Room Group

Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Call it inverted snobbery. I have nothing against Oxbridge at all I respect those universities a lot, I do have a problem with some elite universities which I am not going to name which don't seem to do much but get their reputation on history.

What I have a problem with is people automaticaly dismissing subjects or universities becuase its not Oxbridge. I am just trying to look at it objectivly. I guess its kind of like I have more respect for Skoda drivers than BMW ones. Its the reasoning behind it I guess.

It is difficult to explain, so yes I will openly admit I am an inverted snob, if I was rich I would probably drive a Skoda.
Reply 121
Ok, thanks :smile:. I'm not doing law btw, I probably should have made that more clear
Reply 122
timeofyourlife
Stop digging AT!

I would love to have this argument in round a table, I would find it so much easier :biggrin: But I can't stop digging I live on a marshy field and I am sinking.
Reply 123
Everyone wants to stay in Wales. Also the people who come to the Welsh universities are mainly from Wales and the West Midlands so whether they stay in Wales or go back to the Midlands the starting salaries and standard of living costs are lower than the south.
Reply 124
AT82
Call it inverted snobbery. I have nothing against Oxbridge at all I respect those universities a lot, I do have a problem with some elite universities which I am not going to name which don't seem to do much but get their reputation on history.

What I have a problem with is people automaticaly dismissing subjects or universities becuase its not Oxbridge. I am just trying to look at it objectivly. I guess its kind of like I have more respect for Skoda drivers than BMW ones. Its the reasoning behind it I guess.

It is difficult to explain, so yes I will openly admit I am an inverted snob, if I was rich I would probably drive a Skoda.

I don't think you are looking at it objectively at all if you were looking at it objectively you would take into account that universities are built on their history its how they gain the best students and the best staff.
AT82
I would love to have this argument in round a table, I would find it so much easier :biggrin: But I can't stop digging I live on a marshy field and I am sinking.

My boss goes to a breakfast debating club on Wednesday mornings... they're all professionals in various fields who meet up at 7.30am in Petersfield and have a debate over breakfast :p:
Reply 126
AT82
I would love to have this argument in round a table, I would find it so much easier :biggrin:

alas, but so would I.. :wink:
Reply 127
AT82

But the fact of the matter is that its harder to get th etop jobs in law coming from certain universities. Now - if you go through the bios on the websites of law firms in the city, or chambers, you will do very well to find ONE bradford graduate... As such - it seems risible to claim that it offers better job prospects than Cambridge ...

Of course there are some careers for which a vocational course is best - but law is not even close to being one of them... I would also argue that at undergrad medicine isnt either ...

The quality of a law degree is all about the standard of teaching and the intellectual standard of your contemporaries ...
Reply 128
viviki
I don't think you are looking at it objectively at all if you were looking at it objectively you would take into account that universities are built on their history its how they gain the best students and the best staff.

But can that history not some times mean complatency? I just don't like the assumption that Oxbridge is best for everything becuase it can't be. I never said that History wasn't important but it does explain why the league tables are can be distorted.

I am probably wrong but its just my opinion I am not saying I am right.
Reply 129
AT82
But can that history not some times mean complatency? I just don't like the assumption that Oxbridge is best for everything becuase it can't be. I never said that History wasn't important but it does explain why the league tables are can be distorted.

History isnt conclusive. Not at all - however it has a self-perpetuating effect - it increases prestige - which in turn attracts the top applicants and staff - which in turn results in a generally better standard.

Of course Oxbirdge isnt the best for everything ... not even close ... but in the round - (an definitely in law) it is

I would add btw that I was not an undergrad here - so I am not hoping to perpetuate some ostensibly valid image for my own ends.
Reply 130
AT82

No because if they were complacent people wouldn't continue to go there.
For example Durham because thats the one that people always slag off I did too until I met Durham peeps, why would people slog to get AAA to get in at Durham if the job prospects and university were that crap that they couldn't get a job at the end. The uni has to keep up their standards to still attract the same calibre of staff and student.
All the Durham people I have met have been highly intelligent and have felt extremely challenged by their courses and enjoyed their time at Durham and have got decent jobs at the end on the back of this.
Reply 131
Lawz-
History isnt conclusive. Not at all - however it has a self-perpetuating effect - it increases prestige - which in turn attracts the top applicants and staff - which in turn results in a generally better standard.

Of course Oxbirdge isnt the best for everything ... not even close ... but in the round - (an definitely in law) it is

I would add btw that I was not an undergrad here - so I am not hoping to perpetuate some ostensibly valid image for my own ends.

Law is a quite an elite subject anyway, so I guess the university you went to makes a bigger difference for law than many subjects.

Just to clear this up I have nothing against oxbridge and I am not saying Bradford is better in general.

Anyway this thread is stopping me doing my work and I seem to making a fool of myself :p:
Reply 132
AT82
Law is a quite an elite subject anyway, so I guess the university you went to makes a bigger difference for law than many subjects.

Just to clear this up I have nothing against oxbridge and I am not saying Bradford is better in general.

Anyway this thread is stopping me doing my work and I seem to making a fool of myself :p:

Stop you doing your work? lol ... isnt that the entire point of TSR?? :biggrin:

I would have thought by your post count - this actually might be part of your degree :wink:
Reply 133
viviki
No because if they were complacent people wouldn't continue to go there.
For example Durham because thats the one that people always slag off I did too until I met Durham peeps, why would people slog to get AAA to get in at Durham if the job prospects and university were that crap that they couldn't get a job at the end. The uni has to keep up their standards to still attract the same calibre of staff and student.
All the Durham people I have met have been highly intelligent and have felt extremely challenged by their courses and enjoyed their time at Durham and have got decent jobs at the end on the back of this.

To be honest I had Durham in mind when I wrote that, I get the impression from some of the Durham students on here and the ones I met in real life that some of the biggest snobs ever are found in Durham (more so than Oxbridge) but on the the other hand there are some very nice down to earth Durham students who went their because of its real reputation rather than its percieved reputation.

I suppose its down to the reasoning of why people choose a university. I certainly regard Durham higher than used to and some people on here certainly do that fit the stereotype.

I just don't think it quite matches its reputation as being the 3rd best university in the country as it once was.
Reply 134
All the Durham people I've met to be honest have been on the posh side (not a bad thing I'm not saying its bad to be public school) but not snobby at all.
Reply 135
I need to get this horrible woman I know out of my head she is a real snob she has a classics degree from Durham and thinks all ex polys should be closed down etc. Hopefully she was not at all typical of Durham students though.

I personaly don't rate Durham any higher than places like Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham etc though but there does seem to be a general pervieved image that Durham is better.

As for posh people well they can be a turn on I suppose if their not snobs. I would imagine Durham is probably very good for law, but for computer science there is probably a good 20 better places but I suppose that percieved reputation helps people to get jobs.
Reply 136
I don't think even Durham people think they are better. One of my flatmates last year was an ex durham student and she didn't appear to think Sheffield was any kind of a come down at all.
AT82
To be honest I had Durham in mind when I wrote that, I get the impression from some of the Durham students on here and the ones I met in real life that some of the biggest snobs ever are found in Durham (more so than Oxbridge) but on the the other hand there are some very nice down to earth Durham students who went their because of its real reputation rather than its percieved reputation.

I suppose its down to the reasoning of why people choose a university. I certainly regard Durham higher than used to and some people on here certainly do that fit the stereotype.

I just don't think it quite matches its reputation as being the 3rd best university in the country as it once was.

Hehe, I thought Durham might get dropped in here somewhere. I know a few Durham students, and I'm hoping to be there myself next year. There seems to be a very distorted view of Durham in some places (personally I'd say it's people in the South tend to have these misconceptions, but that just of the people I've talked to, I don't want to generalise).
Durham students don't think that they are equal to those in Oxford and Cambridge. I've heard the expression "Doxbridge" banded around a few times to suggest that Durham students think they are equivalent, this isn't the case, the term is used to describe a yearly sporting event between the Durham, Oxford and Cambridge colleges but that's the only way you'd ever hear it used seriously in Durham.
However, in contrast some people form certain universities often seem to think that they need to make Durham appear a lesser university in order to make their institution seem better. It's clear that Oxford and Cambridge are in a league of their own. Then Durham comes into play, for Law I'd say it's on a par with KCL/LSE/UCL/Bristol etc., for some subjects it falls behind these universities, for some, it is better than them. It's not the 3rd best in the country anymore (it's difficult to establish if there even is a single '3rd best university') but it's still a strong 2nd tier university.
Reply 138
AT82

Hi mate, Sorry this made me laugh. It's not inverted snobbery, it would be you being a cheapskate. :biggrin: lol.

Sorry AT couldn't resist.
Why's everyone having a go at Bradford anyway?? I mean, if this guys an honory graduate, then its a damn good place in my books:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending