The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
StuAndMma
Well, someone loves themself.

Really? Who?
Reply 21
RyanT
I dislike the way they think academia actually means something.

Listen up chumps.

An old man set you a series of hoops to jump through.

He then gives you a piece of paper evaluating your hoop jumping.

Good luck doing something useful with that!

Slightly agree, also:

leftyism
student elections
poor oratory
shyness in classes
dossers/bumheads
being broke is cool
ignorance of 'life skills'
Reply 22
olegirona

One thing i don't like is the fact that the majority of students i know constantly whinge about how ''poor'' they are whilst simultaneously spending a significant amount of money, some as much as £100 a week...in fact that seems to be average for the ''poor'' students i know. it's just irritating when i ask a mate if he wants to spend money on a social activity that doesn't involve getting smashed (such as the cinema, bowling, grabbing a meal,maybe a poker buy in) they usually ''can't make it'' because ''i'm a bit skint at the moment mate.'' and then that very same evening he is at the pub with me buying shots of jager consecutively for a few hours. It's a real student thing as well...none of my friends outside of education do this...maybe it's just an ingrained part of student culture that alcohol must always take precedence over any other activity? I'm not whinging about the quantity of alcohol consumption....i'm all for it...i'm not a boring old fart yet...my complaint is the fact that consumption of alcohol takes precedence over every other social activity almost 100% of the time...THAT is annoying if you fancy doing something else for a change now and again.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have friends who are happy to blow £50 on a night out getting ******, but find spending £15 to go to the theatre, or even £5/6 to go to the cinema a "waste of money". :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Lack of responsibility. If people don't want to be here, then don't. If you want to go and drink yourself to death, then do so. At least it was fun, for you or someone you want to drag along. Not everybody share the enthusiasm as you.

http://share.thumbplay.com/files/media/0003/4890/funny-pictures-care-o-meter-cat_large.jpg

Spacecam you're a star. <3:yep:
you guys are making uni sound so much fun

i cant wait :biggrin:
Spacecam
Really? Who?

I'm almost tempted to stoop to your level of immaturity and reply "your mum".
Reply 26
StuAndMma
I'm almost tempted to stoop to your level of immaturity and reply "your mum".

Haha that's very witty
Reply 27
Spacecam

6. Inability to live quietly

This mainly, I'm sure there must be a couple of students living down the road, no-one else would be rolling in at 3am on a week-night. But mainly in my final year (2004-05) my housemates were an absolute nightmare for bringing their mates back and staying up being loud until 5-6am pretty much without fail at least three nights a week. Not so much of a problem if it happened to be Friday or Saturday night, but when I had lectures the next morning it most definitely was a problem.

Incidentally I noticed a big different between the general student body from when I was at London Guildhall in '98-'00 (dropped out), compared to when I went back to uni to Nottingham Trent in '03.

First time round I think that maybe two of my fellow students had cars (excepting the mature students on my course with kids, etc...), in fact very few even had TV's, and hardly any even had a computer. In fact I think that I was maybe only one of two or three people I knew that had a computer at Uni.

Compare that to when I was at NTU, where it seemed that at least one in four students had a car, in my final year out of the five in my house, only one didn't have a car. Everyone had a laptop, everyone had a TV of some kind IIRC.

Also no-one that I knew the 2nd time around really knew anything about pot. I'd largely grown out of it by then of course (well and truly now), but my first time around I don't think a day would go buy without a spliff of bong being done, indeed one of my best mates at uni couldn't actually get out of bed without having a bong or a quick spliff. Actually that might explain why I dropped out the first time around, that and going out clubbing every single night, sleeping through the day, etc....

But anyway, the thing that really, really wound me up about 'some' students, indeed a great many in my more recent experience of university life. Was the fact that they all seemed to act in a manner more befitting the Jerry Springer show. Constantly acting like clowns, being loud and very, very stupid just isn't the done thing...

Anyway, if one of the rented houses in my road fills up with students instead of the Eastern European builders that seems to be the case at the moment, I will of course phone the council and the Police at the first sign of any noise beyond 11pm during the week, and I'd put up with midnight on Friday and Saturday nights. Failing that I'll just shoot them, seemed to work for my housemates in Nottingham. Nothing quite like being shot in the nuts on full auto with an airsoft P90 to make someone quiet...:biggrin:
Immaturity. I'm not against students having fun, but not when they act like 8 year olds in the school playground.
The way everything to the English students at Nottingham is "so jokes".

And the stupid end-of-year party my halls have got planned - a BOUNCY CASTLE. How old are we, five!?
Reply 30
shorty.loves.angels
Haha, I quite like this.

One typical thing I find is that whenever I'm at uni, don't matter what kind of group you're in, you'll make a remark that's technically not quite true/possible, and some ******* idiotic twerp will feel the need to give you a long well educated lecture about why what you said was technically incorrect.

Example:

Me and my friends were talking about clothes and how overpriced some stores sell clothes for. I looked at a dress and made a comment that it'd be cheaper to make it.

But, according to one student... by the time I'd paid out for the phone call to contact the material provider, paid for the material and the delivery, paid for 'dress-making equipment' (knowldge gap sorry) paid for all the little accessory (think it was decorated with intricate little beads and things)... you get my drift, then I would have probably paid near the price anyway and any money I didn't spend would have been over used in energy. :facepalm:

Was the student an economics student?
illy123
Was the student an economics student?

Yeh.. was :shoot:
I've become a bit of a local rather than student so I have some of the same gripes towards students, although on the whole I quite like them.

Here are my annoyances:

Students who are in 8 hours a week yet consistently fail to turn up to lectures.

Students who always leave assignments until last minute because they are 'so busy' when again, their course is 8 hours a week and they have no job. I think they need to re-evaluate the meaning of busy.

Students who always get extensions for ridiculous reasons.

When they do hilarious things on the way home from a night out, kicking plant pots, stealing wheely bins, being sick everywhere, kicking fences through, having sex in the gardens and leaving condoms, pissing up walls, being horribly loud, it is acceptable if you are a student in at 9 (provided you go to lectures...) but not when you work or are on placement and up at 6. These are not exclusive to students of course but things that seem to happen on regular occasions. Oh, and girls complaining/crying about 'feeling like a slut' don't shag the whole rugby team then...

Other than that students are great :biggrin:
The problems I have with students are with certain students not the majority of the student body.

One of the managers at my work was going on about how his dad hates students because they're lazy, don't have jobs, just sit on their arses all day and waste tax payers money, and I was just sitting there thinking "i'm at work, admittidly sitting on my arse, but I'm paying tax so I'm allowed to waste it" lol He then went on to say his dad would love me though. hmmmm
Reply 34
they often have annoyingly easy lives, have an annoying amount of fun and are annoyingly young :frown: my last few weeks of studenthood are coming up
The fact that most of them are bleeding heart, reactionary lefties jumping on trendy bandwagons such as crisis in Palestine.

Many of them believe themselves to be qualified to make claims about someone's perspective career, as demonstrated on TSR quite regularly.

Consists of quite a few attentions whores, who dress outrageously purely to stand out in a crowd (likely stemming from being socially retarded and isolated at school) and to express a pathetic rebellious streak.
Reply 36
shorty.loves.angels
Yeh.. was :shoot:

A lot of economic students feel the need to inflict their newly-learnt-way-of-thinking about modern issues onto people - so that people don't think economic students are boring and study about stuff like interest rates.

Ignore them :biggrin:

Be careful mentioning the difference in price between free-trade coffee and normal in starbucks; they will be up to their ears in price discrimination.
Reply 37
Regina George
The fact that most of them are bleeding heart, reactionary lefties jumping on trendy bandwagons such as crisis in Palestine.
trendy bandwagons, bleeding hearts? It's called a conscience..! Ok they've probably got a bit to learn about how to apply it (a tricky thing so I've heard) but I certainly wouldn't reproach students on this score.
Reply 38
I hate the ones who:
- Live in utter filthy **** holes.
- Can't handle their drink
- Are noisy
- Use TSR.
I dont like how people boast about how drunk they got last night. I dont care. You should have got the boasting about being drunk phase out of you when you were much younger. Especially as its normally rubbish things like 'omg iwas so wasted, ica tn even remeber getting home last nite!!' Thats normal, not something to boast about.

Latest

Trending

Trending