The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by hezzlington
Can you name the toxins that your body specifically gets rid of when you drink water?

Carbon Dioxide, urea, lactic acid and any consumed toxin, like aspartame. The kidneys cant filter these without water.
Original post by debs360
Carbon Dioxide, urea, lactic acid and any consumed toxin, like aspartame. The kidneys cant filter these without water.

So drinking more water increases the rate at which our bodies remove these toxins? If i don't drink water, what will happen?

(By the way I've not had pure water for a good few weeks, I hope these toxins aren't just accumulating in my body!! :afraid: )

I didn't know aspartame was a toxin.....
Original post by debs360
The physicians I work with very much disagree in the human body, so its interesting what you stated. So if this is true, why does every medical professional tell people to drink water after a massage, after working out, because water does not rehydrate with out sodium.

To keep you hydrated, to prevent said metabolic byproducts building up and also maintain blood pressure. But unless you're seriously dehydrated or hypovolaemic, the level of byproducts don't exceed a level where you'd notice being rehydrated.

And also aspartame is not a toxin, not by a long shot
Reply 63
Original post by Angry cucumber
To keep you hydrated, to prevent said metabolic byproducts building up and also maintain blood pressure. But unless you're seriously dehydrated or hypovolaemic, the level of byproducts don't exceed a level where you'd notice being rehydrated.

And also aspartame is not a toxin, not by a long shot

How much of a non effect does too little water have? Was thinking about drinking a lot of water during Ramadan (like a modified water fast which isn't strictly allowed), but from your comments seems like I might aswell just go the whole hog as diet adherence won't matter as I've done it most of my life during this month.
Original post by Sae.HH
How much of a non effect does too little water have? Was thinking about drinking a lot of water during Ramadan (like a modified water fast which isn't strictly allowed), but from your comments seems like I might aswell just go the whole hog as diet adherence won't matter as I've done it most of my life during this month.

Too little over what time period and are we talking absolutely no water?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Angry cucumber
Too little over what time period and are we talking absolutely no water?

Posted from TSR Mobile

8 hour period with water and food but it's 9pm - 5am... My gym isn't 24 hours so I was thinking of just doing a liquid fast with a decent amount of BCAAs pre workout after work. Then eating properly at sunset.
Original post by Sae.HH
8 hour period with water and food but it's 9pm - 5am... My gym isn't 24 hours so I was thinking of just doing a liquid fast with a decent amount of BCAAs pre workout after work. Then eating properly at sunset.

That'd be fine.

If you chose to have no water, then whilst not being ideal; being 16hours dehydrated, it's not going to make you ill. You'll just be thirsty
If you want this to stop a good method i find is drinking milk. It seems weird but actually works!!!
I get worsened headaches after drinking water if I haven't been drinking too often during the past week. I'm not too sure if I get a stiff neck or not... Since my neck is nearly always somewhat stiff. I think the reason for the headache is somewhere along the lines of needing to get used to the sudden increase in water. I've personally translated the headache to mean that I need to drink more, even if it's not too fun for the first few days.

As to the comment about needing salt as well, I find that interesting since I do find myself craving salt, particularly on days when I'm well hydrated. Maybe I should try eating a few soda crackers for the headaches instead of going straight for the pain relievers. Anyway, I would love to have a definite answer to the cause of these headaches, but looking at this thread's age, I don't think I'll be getting that any time soon...
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi, I get this problem as well. I have figured out that for me at least it is salt related. I'm not a doctor but I know some basic biology about cells. If you are very dehydrated, the amount of water in your blood is low, so the dilution of salt and other electrolytes is relatively high. This makes your cells lose water and shrink (water moves across membranes to try to equalize the dilution of salt inside and outside the cells). When you drink water, you quickly lower the dilution of salt in your blood. This makes your cells gain water and swell. Your brain literally swells and puts pressure inside your skull. If I am very dehydrated (which I often am), I add a pinch or two of sea salt to each glass of water I drink at first and this seems to prevent the headaches. Another important electrolyte in the blood is potassium so eating a banana or potato may help, or there are salt substitutes made of a potassium compound. To test out if you have this problem, drink a sports drink like Gatorade, or an oral rehydration solution like Pedialyte. If you can tolerate those without getting a headache, then your problem is likely from quickly desalinating yourself and you just need to add electrolytes to your body when rehydrating. Hope this helps!
(edited 6 years ago)
I wanted to add that I don't normally get a stiff neck with mine, but a headache with pressure and a stiff neck are symptoms of meningitis, which is swelling of the brain. Meningitis is usually bacterial, but I think it stands to reason that any swelling of the brain would probably produce the same sympyoms.
The same thing happens to me. I am rarely thirsty and when I try to push water I get a splitting headache! I don't think I need as much water as others, but everything you read tells you that you should drink at least 32oz a day. I only drink about 16 and when I go above that I get headaches.
Drinking too much water can cause you to experience headaches as a symptom of hyponatremia -- that is, low sodium concentration levels in your blood. You may have eaten enough salt, but if you drink too much water without increasing your sodium intake, the imbalance is enough to cause health problems. Sodium is required for maintaining blood pressure and the functioning of your nerves, muscles and other organs.
Drinking too much water can cause you to experience headaches as a symptom of hyponatremia -- that is, low sodium concentration levels in your blood. You may have eaten enough salt, but if you drink too much water without increasing your sodium intake, the imbalance is enough to cause health problems. Sodium is required for maintaining blood pressure and the functioning of your nerves, muscles and other organs.
The very same happens to me. I would fare very well in the desert. I have to add a drop of blackcurrant into it which I hate because I don't like sweet things. But I can tell you for sure...it is drinking water that gives me a headache. My theory to this is I may have lots of toxins in my body although I eat very healthy. I used to date a guy who actually felt sick if he drank water...so...we are all different.
I’m the exact same way. I thought I was the only person like that, I never drink water always coffee or tea. When I drink a bottle of water I know I’m going to end up with a migraine
Wow! Thought I was a freak. So glad Im not alone. I hate the taste of water and rarely drink it. When I do it gives me a headache every time. I cant drink tap at all so I stick to bottled water and even try lemon for taste and don't matter. Im lucky if I can finish 16 oz in one day. But then I don't drink much any ways. I can make a 16 oz dr pepper last almost all day. But back to the string.... I too suffer from water headaches.
You are having hyponatremia symptoms. That sudden rush of water is likely creating a temporary low-sodium condition. Your best bet is to drink water normally, and not gulp one litre at one go. Your body is probably sending the excess straight to your kidneys, so it isn't doing you any good at all.
You are having hyponatremia symptoms. That sudden rush of water is likely creating a temporary low-sodium condition. Your best bet is to drink water normally, and not gulp one glass at one go. Your body is probably sending the excess straight to your kidneys, so it isn't doing you any good at all.

Original post by fran.ha
I'm trying to be healthy and drink enough water because at the moment I drink about 1 glass of fluids a day.

Yesterday I drank about a litre of water and it gave me splitting headaches.

Does anyone know why this might be? It always seems to happen when I drink water and I'm trying to lose some fat so I figure a good way is to make little changes like drinking more water.

Any help? It happens whenever I drink any fluids, not just water, which is probably why I don't drink anywhere near as much as I should.

Latest