The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I do wonder if this happens because your body is getting rid of crap (which happens when you drink more water, you’re detoxing) that is in you’re system and goes into a shock state when you finally decide to put more fluids into it. My diet is normally pretty decent. The last two months however have been shocking diet wise. Yesterday, I started to drink more water gradually throughout the day and didn’t eat any rubbish at all. By 2oclock I had to sleep for half an hour with a bad headache and the headache lasted until I went to sleep at 10.30. I feel better this morning but I feel like another headache may be looming. Give it a few days though, maybe you’re body will get used to it and start behiaving how it should. If not, definately see a doctor.
We have the same thing. I am feeling it as well like a sudden light headache after drinking a glass of water. Upon drinking water though I was very thirsty, sort of feeling dehydrated. I'm not sure as well because I also lack sleep and am always stressed.
Original post by fran.ha
I'm trying to be healthy and drink enough water because at the moment I drink about 1 glass of fluids a day.

Yesterday I drank about a litre of water and it gave me splitting headaches.

Does anyone know why this might be? It always seems to happen when I drink water and I'm trying to lose some fat so I figure a good way is to make little changes like drinking more water.

Any help? It happens whenever I drink any fluids, not just water, which is probably why I don't drink anywhere near as much as I should.

Headaches can be a reason when your brain is lacking some essential nutrients. With some brain boosters, you can decrease the chronic pains and headaches.
happens to me as well. You are not alone. I get bad headaches when i drink water. But then again.. i get really bad migraines all the time as well.
Reply 84
I have been experiencing the same sort of headaches, seems to be triggered when I am trying to keep up with my water intake. Most of the time I am able to go with out drinking at all, I have been off of fizzy and other sugary drinks for almost a year. So my water intake has become more necessary. I seem to get a bit of a pounding headache, almost feel like my brain is dehydrating. As I am writing this I can feel my headache. Taking in deep breaths in cool air and trying to relax my body seems to be helping. I do have the window open just so I can get the fresh air circulating too. Maybe give that a go incase it works for you too. If you are trying to lose few pounds Water diet is amazing and there's no need to starve. I definitely recommend it as I have given it a go and I had lots of comments regarding my skin and the few inches that seemed to become less obvious. It works wonders if you can try and fit in at least 8 glasses. Start off your day with 2 glasses if you can and pace out always at least half hour before food and everytime you feel pekish or snackish. Light exercise as in stretches in the areas you want to lose, planks, pushups, sit ups and squats. Good luck and hope this is helpful !
Reply 85
I have been experiencing the same sort of headaches, seems to be triggered when I am trying to keep up with my water intake. Most of the time I am able to go with out drinking at all, I have been off of fizzy and other sugary drinks for almost a year. So my water intake has become more necessary. I seem to get a bit of a pounding headache, almost feel like my brain is dehydrating. As I am writing this I can feel my headache. Taking in deep breaths in cool air and trying to relax my body seems to be helping. I do have the window open just so I can get the fresh air circulating too. Maybe give that a go incase it works for you too.

If you are trying to lose few pounds Water diet is amazing and there's no need to starve. I definitely recommend it as I have given it a go and I had lots of comments regarding my skin and the few inches that seemed to become less obvious. It works wonders if you can try and fit in at least 8 glasses. Start off your day with 2 glasses if you can and pace out always at least half hour before food and everytime you feel pekish or snackish. Light exercise as in stretches in the areas you want to lose, planks, pushups, sit ups and squats. Hope this will help you!
Quick movement makes me hella dizzy
It's probably just something else and not the water, if anything drinking that water would help to get rid of headaches - however it could possibly be that you're body isn't used to all the fluid? Just an educated guess I don't at all know if this could be it - just keep drinking water everday and maybe the headaches will just stop! 😀 x
Drinking too much fluid can lead to hyponatremia, which is when sodium in the blood becomes too diluted,” Sims says. Symptoms include confusion, headaches, nausea and bloating—stuff that's easily confused with dehydration.
i get headaches all the time if I don't eat a lot then drink water. You're not alone.
Reply 90
I am fine if I drink bottled water, or straight from the tap (doesn't taste great and is awfully warm here in the desert.) If I drink the filtered water from my refrigerator I immediately get a headache, my lips start to dry and out, and my mouth gets parched, leaving me wanting more water... ?! Any ideas on how a water filter could do this to me? My family drinks from the fridge with no problem at all. I'm going to try a different brand of filter and see what happens.
Lmao you think drinking one glass of water is bad, i drink a quarter of a cup per day. I hate water, or any sort of juice/drink for that matter. I only drink when i eat and i eat once a day (have my own reasons for that and its not anorexia)
(edited 4 years ago)
This is the exact same thing that happens to me as well. I’m the same as you as I’ve started to drink more water for weight loss purposes, but ever since I have I’ve been getting terrible headaches, I’m literally sat here right now with one and it’s really painful. It’s weird tho because I’m usually dehydrated, my fault tho as I never drank enough. But I think the headaches are due to the sudden change in fluids, our bodies were adapted the amount we drink per day but as soon as u give ur body way more fluids than it’s used to, it tries to adapt to the change or something I think, but therefore giving u headaches or things. If it’s not that it might be over hydration. I’m not too sure though lol.
I have this exact problem and was hoping that just pushing through until my body got use to it. How are you these days as it looks as though this is a very old post! Lol
I get the same thing. And I try different water but its always the same. I can drink other drinks thought and be fine. Its just water. I found this post after i googled what I was going through. Everybody thinks I'm making it up or it must be something else. But I've tried different things (same routine different liquids, different routine same liquids etc) but it always point to the fact that water is giving me headaches.
I suffer with the same issue.
I am rarely thirsty so I rarely drink.
If I do drink, say slowly drink a 16oz of water or tea, I get an instant headache.

I notice my neck swells and when I turn my head left to right I can hear crunching.

Excedrin is about the only pain reliever that helps but I hate taking drugs.

I've had MRIs but they never find anything
I have this too! Drs look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them. I can drink other stuff but plain water is instant headache
Reply 97
I know exactly how you feel I also have headaches after trying to drink enough water.The pain is unbearable
This happens to me also.. I have never been a big water drinker and I can go weeks without drinking straight water, I also do check my urine so o know if I'm hydrated or not, When I do clamp down and think right imma drink a glass of water I get headaches so I fall back into not drinking water again. So I know exactly what your talking about! Noone seems to understand and I cant find answers. One time i thought maybe i needed to get over the headaches so continued to drink just water for a week i had bad headaches for a week. I'm convinced I'm a camel and my body stores water! Let's just sip on a bottle a day if we can and not push it. Also maybe we have a reaction to the chemicals that are in the water 🤔
This happens to me also.. I have never been a big water drinker and I can go weeks without drinking straight water, I also do check my urine so o know if I'm hydrated or not, When I do clamp down and think right imma drink a glass of water I get headaches so I fall back into not drinking water again. So I know exactly what your talking about! Noone seems to understand and I cant find answers. One time i thought maybe i needed to get over the headaches so continued to drink just water for a week i had bad headaches for a week. I'm convinced I'm a camel and my body stores water! Let's just sip on a bottle a day if we can and not push it. Also maybe we have a reaction to the chemicals that are in the water 🤔

Latest