The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Changing Course (again...)

I'm a first year, about to go into the second year (Communications, Media and Society). However, I don't want to do my current course any more - I'd like to do English and Film. Ideally I'd like to go into the second year of the new course but I know that's probably not possible, so I'm happy to start as a fresher again.

Just wondering how I should go about doing it? I've seen a change of course form, do I complete that? Or do I go through Extra? Should I talk it through with my tutor before handing the form in (seems polite to, but I don't know what could really be said if I did speak to him)? At what point should I fill in the student finance 'change of circumstances' form? Will it affect my loan (it shouldn't do, should it? I thought there was a degree length + 1 yr rule?)

Thanks for any replies :smile:
milly.
I'm a first year, about to go into the second year (Communications, Media and Society). However, I don't want to do my current course any more - I'd like to do English and Film. Ideally I'd like to go into the second year of the new course but I know that's probably not possible, so I'm happy to start as a fresher again.

Just wondering how I should go about doing it? I've seen a change of course form, do I complete that? Or do I go through Extra? Should I talk it through with my tutor before handing the form in (seems polite to, but I don't know what could really be said if I did speak to him)? At what point should I fill in the student finance 'change of circumstances' form? Will it affect my loan (it shouldn't do, should it? I thought there was a degree length + 1 yr rule?)

I believe you have to see your head of department if you wish to switch, that would be my first port of call anyway.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey

I applied communication, media and society too, and will enter this autumn.

now I have firmed it and got an un-conditional offer, but I consider to change to management studies```

However I'm an international student and the formal offer and visa letter is on the way, i have no idea whether I can change it now. Should I apply visa again or apply on UCAS again...

At first I didnt make up my mind coz I dont know whether this course I like, since I couldnt go to the open day```
So I want to see if I can change after I registered.

I asked admission office and they recommend me to change it before register coz the course which I want to change maybe full after I registered.

How should I do now```??????

Really confused!
Reply 3
Hey

I'm an international student

I have applied communication, media and society and got unconditional offer

I firmed it and will enter this autumn.

But I still not sure whether i like it or not, since I couldnt go in open day and learn more.
I'm considering to change to management studies``

At first I want to see if there is chance for me to change after registered``but I asked the admission office and they recommend me to change it before register, coz the course maybe full and I cannot after I change it.

But the formal offer and visa letter is on the way```I have no idea if I asked them to change after I get visa, should I apply visa again or apply on UCAS again```

Totally confused.....
Reply 4
Contact English/Film admissions ASAP, ask them if they'd let you on the course. If they say yes, get a change of course form. You get it signed by the heads of Media, Film & English, and voila you have an unconditional for next year!

It doesn't affect your student loan. I don't know the details (I keep forgetting :redface:), but that's what my parents told me at least!
Reply 5
milly.

well your personal tutor could probably point you in the right direction form wise and as in who to talk to for starters.
or personally i prefer to talk to whoever is at the office reception
Reply 6
MSNBOY
do you reackin this can be done for Maths or engineering? Im already at the uni but i dont really like the course and 1st year in nearly over.

Which course do you study now?

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show