The Student Room Group

taking a car to cambridge

Scroll to see replies

10 D1s for Pre U ? Whatever.
Reply 61
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Ummm... I really don't think you know what you are talking about...

1. The traffic in Cambridge is horrendous, and that's with all the restrictions - just busses and taxis are allowed anywhere near the city centre. Imagine if just 10% of the students in Cambridge got cars and were allowed to drive them around everywhere. The number of squished cyclists would go through the roof and congestion would be terrible.
2. I have no idea why you would want a car anyway - you can't drive around Cambridge because of the restrictions (no cars in centre, one way systems everywhere, tonnes of crazy cyclists), it's actually quicker to cycle most places. Public transport from Cambridge is really good - there's excellent train links and coaches going to all the main cities/ London. Save yourself the cost of buying, insuring and running a car and just get a bike. Free exercise too...
3. Cambridge does not permit students to have part-time jobs during term time. Yet another reason why you really don't need a car. If you need to work to finance your studies, keep your car at home and get a job in the long vacation.
4. If everyone just did what they wanted the world would be a really horrible place. Luckily most of us are sensible and considerate and so abide by all sensible laws and rules. University car parking rule included.
5. It is totally a university's business to tell you what to do and how to act. While studying there you are representing the university. They don't want any bad press about stroppy teenage students driving like madmen through the high street. They want you to do well in your studies and graduate with a good degree.
6. You do realise that landlord have every right to do what they want to their house and to impose restrictions on what their tenants do. They can ban pets, smoking, painting the walls, removing fixed items of furniture, and dodgy chemistry experiments. These are all reasonable restrictions since these activities often lead to damage to property. They could impose any other random restriction, and as long as you sign the tenancy agreement you must stick with it. Of course, usually they are reasonable and only include sensible restrictions like those I mentioned since they don't want to put of potential tenants. However, it is totally within their rights to control their house.

I think it'd be ****ing brilliant, if 10% did it then they'd have to withhold 10% of the degrees that students graduate with which leaves them with an issue on their hands.

Original post by Old_Simon
10 D1s for Pre U ? Whatever.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get at there

Original post by Colmans
If you are guaranteed a unconditional offer if you apply with A*AA why would you apply for four courses?

You are either too daft to get A*AA or you are a troll.
More likely both.

I'm done

Alright then Mr. First Captain Macho 3A*s and his Lord's entourage and retinue 9 GCSEs, why should everyone think like you? It's after all a year and you might want the luxury of deciding you want to do a different topic but if you had applied once you'd have to apply next year, which is pointless and a waste of time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by ORogers

Alright then Mr. First Captain Macho 3A*s and his Lord's entourage and retinue 9 GCSEs,

Wow. You really do have a chip on your shoulder.

Getting angry at people for pointing out that getting the minimum entry grades don't automatically gain you or a place, or that you can only apply for one course, is rather pointless. Getting angry at people who take a different view and "accusing" them of coming from privileged backgrounds (as you have done a few times here) as part of your "argument" is equally pointless.

What are you going to do if you do actually get in and find yourself surrounded by people like this? Are you going to spend your entire 3 years resentful of people who come from privileged backgrounds and/or just did really well at school?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending