The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Spencer Wells
1 - there are no interns in the UK, it's FY1
2 - basic is the only bit of the salary you are guaranteed, most people I know have at least 1 unbanded rotation, some 2 and one person unluckily none.

There will be plenty of time to spend money.

Well... whether its intern or FY1, still means you are a runt at the bottom of the food chain; but still to your second point, most people do still get a lot more than their basic salary. And the pay gets better in FY2, and again better when you are qualified.

You are going to be an intern soon, don't make it sound worse than it really is; it is hard work and yes, your pay is relatively low if you compare it to other people that has the same level of education and commitment as you, but take some pride! Its not as bad as you make it sounds!
billykwok
Well... whether its intern or FY1, still means you are a runt at the bottom of the food chain; but still to your second point, most people do still get a lot more than their basic salary. And the pay gets better in FY2, and again better when you are qualified.

You are going to be an intern soon, don't make it sound worse than it really is; it is hard work and yes, your pay is relatively low if you compare it to other people that has the same level of education and commitment as you, but take some pride! Its not as bad as you make it sounds!

Don't call me an intern, I am not American or Australian thank you very much.
Currently a lot of people take a pay cut when they become FY2s, as though the basic salary increases, they get moved to a lower banding.
With increasing medical school expansion (which will continue until 2010) there are greater numbers of graduates for the same number of jobs. This year, there were more jobs than graduates, but it is expected that this will not be so within the next few years. Add the hospital at night system now employed by many NHS trusts that cut FY1s on call at nights and weekends and you'll see that many FY1 jobs will have reduced banding or lose it altogether.
1.8 banding is also not EWTD compliant, the max possible is 1.5 (1A).
Spencer Wells
Don't call me an intern, I am not American or Australian thank you very much.
Currently a lot of people take a pay cut when they become FY2s, as though the basic salary increases, they get moved to a lower banding.
With increasing medical school expansion (which will continue until 2010) there are greater numbers of graduates for the same number of jobs. This year, there were more jobs than graduates, but it is expected that this will not be so within the next few years. Add the hospital at night system now employed by many NHS trusts that cut FY1s on call at nights and weekends and you'll see that many FY1 jobs will have reduced banding or lose it altogether.
1.8 banding is also not EWTD compliant, the max possible is 1.5 (1A).

So.. whats your point?
Reply 23
billykwok
you get paid 1.4x to 1.8x as much if you work overtime, and this you have to do, being a doctor means you can't just go at 5 sharply

I know, I am one :wink:

I was just querying the intern bit, not a phrase used commonly in the UK/NHS.

I think you might be suprised at how they work out the bandings in practice. I am currently paid to work 9am-5pm. My consultants don't give a damn about that, if they want a wardround at 8am or 5pm they get one! :smile:
billykwok
So.. whats your point?

By the time you graduate you may be getting basic salary and nothing more.
Reply 25
billykwok
Well... whether its intern or FY1, still means you are a runt at the bottom of the food chain!

That's the role of the medical students right?
Reply 26
dob86
If you look at it, medical students are well protected, they're spared a lot of the worse aspects of medicine.
dob86

Again, this is quite an American sort of perspective. They do things v. differently over there.
Reply 28
At my stage, I go in, get my teaching, do a ward round, jab a couple of arms and do one or two clerkings and if I want to tootle off mid-afternoon and read for my exams, that's fine. I can attack jobs on the list but if they're not done I don't get it in the neck, the F1/2 does. My ultimate boss is the medschool's chief examiner, not whoever I happen to be with on a ward most of the time. So my day-to-day life is pretty slack next to the house officer who actually has to keep the show together.
Reply 29
digitalis
Again, this is quite an American sort of perspective. They do things v. differently over there.

But I'm from the UK. This is the perspective I have seen from people. Med Students are the lowest of the low. Lower than nursing/physio students 'cos at least they do something.
dob86
Med Students are the lowest of the low. Lower than nursing/physio students 'cos at least they do something.

Dunno who you heard that from :s-smilie:.

You can do scut work (bloods, ABGs, cannulas, catheters, requests, running blood tests, talking to relatives), clerk patients, assist in surgeries, porter patients, do CPR...pretty much anything a doctor can do (as long as your supervised) which can be really useful to the HO or firm. Apparently, on busy firms the fifth year student can become a sort of mini-HO and actually gets some proper responsibilites.

Without this getting into a medical v nursing (student my cock is bigger than yours) thread, nursing students aren't allowed to do invasive procedures like blood draws or cannulas unless they have specific training (heard from a third year nursing student in A&E).
Reply 31
Yeah, that's true Digitalis, but in other ways medstudents are constantly regarded by hospitals as a bit of a drain on resources and the lowest in the food chain. Personally I think this a view derived of laziness and ignorance and a total blind eye to the training requirements that make doctors doctors, but it is how some people are. There's also an element of people getting at students because they won't speak to senior doctors.

Case in point, when I was doing my O&G, my consultant told me to get some suture packs to practice with so I could do more advanced assisting in the list at the end of the week. One of the staff nurses found a bunch of old packs in a corner somewhere, cut off a corner and said "Ooops, these have been opened, better use these" and gave me them. As I was walking out, a nursing manager type started having a go at me about it. She had had a go at every student on my firm for something in that petty, obstructionist kinda way some people have and completely inconsistently with the other nursing managers in the department, who were frequently quite lovely. So I said "I'm doing this because Consultant R told me to, shall I tell her that I haven't done this because you don't want me to use two suture packs?" Anyway, then it turned out that there wasn't a problem at all. Like I said, this is anything near a universal attitude, but it is one I've come across.
AEH
but in other ways medstudents are constantly regarded by hospitals as a bit of a drain on resources and the lowest in the food chain.

I almost died at the SIFT payments made to trusts for having students!!
Reply 33
Yeah. You feel shocked. Then you feel like you should have those numbers on sticky cards so you can pin them to the faces of people who say "Bloody students".
Reply 34
dob86
But I'm from the UK. This is the perspective I have seen from people. Med Students are the lowest of the low. Lower than nursing/physio students 'cos at least they do something.

This is variably true, in my experience. In our main teaching hospital, it is often the case, because they're overrun with students and in general we don't do very much useful while on the wards there (they have physician's assistants to do all the procedures etc). It's very easy to feel like you're in the way there, but the great bit is that if sister shouts at you, you can leave and go to either a)the common room or b) another ward. Whereas if you're the F1 on that ward, sister can shout at you all day, and you still have to be there...

It tends to be a bit different in the DGHs, I've found.
Reply 35
Helenia
This is variably true, in my experience. In our main teaching hospital, it is often the case, because they're overrun with students and in general we don't do very much useful while on the wards there (they have physician's assistants to do all the procedures etc). It's very easy to feel like you're in the way there, but the great bit is that if sister shouts at you, you can leave and go to either a)the common room or b) another ward. Whereas if you're the F1 on that ward, sister can shout at you all day, and you still have to be there...

It tends to be a bit different in the DGHs, I've found.

I thought PAs did bloods and caths? Just get the students to learn, the number crunchers missed a trick there.
Helenia
they have physician's assistants to do all the procedures etc

**** they have actually introduced them? I read on NHS Blog Doc a while ago him bitching about them, two year diploma and you stay as a house officer for ever?
Reply 37
digitalis
**** they have actually introduced them? I read on NHS Blog Doc a while ago him bitching about them, two year diploma and you stay as a house officer for ever?

I haven't read NHS blog doc's opinion on them (I take his opinions on most things with a pinch of salt) but yes, they definitely exist, and though I haven't worked in Addies for ages so am not 100% sure of their whole role, it seems to be a combination of phleb work and house-officer like procedures (cannulas, catheters etc). Though it does worry me what will happen if they can't do a cannula and the house officer won't be able to because they've not had any damn practice!
Reply 38
digitalis
I almost died at the SIFT payments made to trusts for having students!!
I'd piss my pants if BLT ever put 99 million or whatever it is towards medical students.
Reply 39
Helenia
I haven't read NHS blog doc's opinion on them (I take his opinions on most things with a pinch of salt) but yes, they definitely exist, and though I haven't worked in Addies for ages so am not 100% sure of their whole role, it seems to be a combination of phleb work and house-officer like procedures (cannulas, catheters etc). Though it does worry me what will happen if they can't do a cannula and the house officer won't be able to because they've not had any damn practice!
I think I'll be working with some next year.

As regards exposure, how are they going to get experience if nurses and phlebs do all their work?

Latest

Trending

Trending