The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Arts at Exeter???

Hey everyone,
I received a conditional offer from Exeter Univ for Psychology BA and soon when I find out my exam results I will have to decide whether I want to go (if I fulfill the requirements) there or to my second choice school. And to be honest Exeter seems greater in every way except for one, quite important to me... the Arts... if I went to that other school I'd study Psychology with Art & Design + there would be tones of opportunities for me to take some singing/acting classes or at least take part in some workshops, but I have no idea about Exeter... And now, here is where I need your advice. Knowing that the Univ of Exeter does not offer any art classes I have been trying to find out sth bout any kind of 'art possibilities' in the area. I know that there is tones of nightspots where you can hear some live music and that's all cool, but it's not what I mean...
So, does anyone know about any courses, community theaters, workshops or even Exeter Univ. student organizations/clubs connected with visual and/or performing arts (on campus or in the city)? Please let me know, it'd really help me make my decision... Thanks!!!
Reply 1
there's a million and one societies - i know there are dancing and musical theatre ones. there's a huge theatre on the campus as well so i imagine it's fairly easy to get involved with anything and everything performing arts...
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
In addition to all the stuff on campus (e.g. societies), there's a lot in the city, including Spacex Art Gallery and the Phoenix Arts Centre, where you can get involved with stuff; various theatre groups including the Little Theatre Company; festivals including Animated Exeter; an interesting new venture providing studio space at Exeter Artspace... Exeter is quite arty and if you're keen there are plenty of opportunities to get involved.
Reply 3
There's also an arts society that does life drawing either once a week or every other week. Here's a list of all the societies just for info http://exeterguild.org/minisites/index.php?cat_id=192
It's also quite simple to set up your own society, which means you have access to guild rooms & funding.

If you just mean dramatic arts, there are loads of opportunities & if you get to know drama students, you will be able to get involved in a whole lot more. The societies connected to dramatic arts are: EUTCO (normal theatre), Footlights (musicals), Theatre with Teeth (theatre with a difference, usually political, but does absurdest & other "different" styles) and Gilbert & Sullivan (G&S operettas) as well as musical groups (orchestras, concert bands, folk & student bands of all styles), literature & creative writing ones.
Reply 4
Might be a bit late fo you now, but as others have said, there's LOADS of artsy societies in the uni. Additionally, you mentioned singing lessons; we don't have an academic music department anymore, but there's still a 'Director of Music' and through that the uni offer music scholarships; basically you audition at the beginning of term, and can get money towards music lessons, which the department will organise for you. Basically everyone who auditions gets at least a partial scholarship, and even if you don't want to do that, the department can still find you a singing teacher.

E x

Latest

Trending

Trending