The Student Room Group

Higher Accounting 2009

I realise that this may not be the most taken Higher of all time, but is there anyone here doing it?

If so, how are you all doing?
In section A I am ready for NFP, TPL, and Manufacturing accounts. Just to ask if anyone out there can do the Partnership/Ratio style question which is optional? I'm fearing that it may be compulsory this time around - since 2005 it has always been optional. If anyone does Higher Accounting here, can you please attempt to reassure me that this type of question won't come up? No matter how hard I work at it, I can never feel comfortable with it. Whereas with the Actual accounts I feel very comfortable - especially NFP which is basically giving me marks.

And for Section B, I feel alright in regards to Budgets, Overhead Apportionment and the Stock Control type questions. Contribution type questions I know how to do, but if they go on for too long I will be in trouble. Does anyone here have a weakness in Section B?

And for both sections, the KU will be fine. I can always answer questions 4 and 9. Every time.

So if anyone here does Accounts, please collaborate with me and we can work together on areas of difficulty. Especially over the weekend.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One of my favourite subjects at school, tho I got an A in 2004 :P I doubt I remember any of it lol.
Reply 2
I presume that was the old Accounting and Finance?
Reply 3
I did this last year and got an A.
The exam last year was so hard and they lowered the pass rate. It was 55% to get a B. Im assuming this year it will not be so difficult?
Need any help though and i will do my best to help:smile:?
Reply 4
Thanks!

Question 2 or three of last years paper. In relation to the ratios, etc. I am really hopless at all those questions. I always miss it out and do the other choice. Were you any good at that sort of question?
In fact, do you believe it will ever be the compulsory Section A question?

This is my first year and I managed to come within 3 marks of an A in the Prelim. It was the normal bands - so I got 68.5%. Made a stupid error with the budgets.
Reply 5
S.Beall
Thanks!

Question 2 or three of last years paper. In relation to the ratios, etc. I am really hopless at all those questions. I always miss it out and do the other choice. Were you any good at that sort of question?
In fact, do you believe it will ever be the compulsory Section A question?

This is my first year and I managed to come within 3 marks of an A in the Prelim. It was the normal bands - so I got 68.5%. Made a stupid error with the budgets.

I crashed Accounting last year and got 78% in the exam. So yeh i will look at the pastpapers and get back to you ok? Im sure you will be fine.
Reply 6
ER4CH
I crashed Accounting last year and got 78% in the exam. So yeh i will look at the pastpapers and get back to you ok? Im sure you will be fine.

Thank you very much.
I've been having a go at the 2005 paper and progressing to 2008 on these difficult questions. It is improving, but I still prefer the actual accounts. NFP and TPL accounts give me a lot of marks. I think I got around 80 out of the 100 marks for the financial accounting thanks to these two areas.
Do you believe that they could make it a compulsory question? Or will they make it a simple accounting question, involving TPL, Manu or NFP accounts?
Reply 7
S.Beall
I presume that was the old Accounting and Finance?

I don't know the difference between old and new :smile:

Company Accounts (Profit and loss accounts and balance sheet)
Manufacturing Accounts
Partnership
Decision Making
Break-even
Process Costing
Theory (differences between companies and their advantages, liability and the various laws ect)
Reply 8
last year compulsary was a TPL and b/s After a manufacturing account had been prepared. Section B was weird- calculation of unit costs, selling prices etc then using them in a cash budget. I didn't find the exam too hard, but then i really like accounts.

And they've starting integrating topics in questions. i.e two topics in one question- 2008 Q7 was process then overhead analysis. Just revise everything, and don't do the same questions you like all the time because no doubt they won't come up.

As for ratios as the compulsory, i don't know if they're that evil...
Reply 9
I was working on ratios today, they're not quite as bad as they first look. As long as you know the formulae you can answer any question. Most of them you can work out by looking at them (eg. turnover to fixed assets = turnover/fixed assets). Try writing them all out about 20 times each just before the exam and see how many of them stick.

I usually have trouble with the theory, it's just a little dull and I have very little patience trying to learn it =/
Reply 10
I found the prelims were very important, I think our year got surprised by a new style of paper and the pass mark had to be decreased, and our prelim results were heavly considered when it came to the finial grade. Wish I was back doing highers :frown: NEVER LEAVE SCHOOL!
Reply 11
teabreak

I usually have trouble with the theory, it's just a little dull and I have very little patience trying to learn it =/

I seem to remember last year, theory was mostly off the top of my head:wink: and i still got an A! If you are really good at the computation questions then theory is just a few extra marks to boost your grade.It's 10 marks in each section isn't it?

As long as you know the basics you can just waffle in the exam- it's what i did! Not keen for AH theory, 30 marks in each section!!:eek:
Reply 12
Ratios can't be compulsory - they are financial which would mean section 1 and the compulsory question in section 1 is ALWAYS final accounts. However I guess they could slip in a little ration question as part of question 1 but it'll never be a full blown ratio question. Anyway with 3 days left i'm sure you have time to learn the ratios :smile: atm i'm just picking out questions i don't like and doing them e.g ratios haha
best of luck,
callum
Reply 13
fiona_123
I seem to remember last year, theory was mostly off the top of my head:wink: and i still got an A! If you are really good at the computation questions then theory is just a few extra marks to boost your grade.It's 10 marks in each section isn't it?

As long as you know the basics you can just waffle in the exam- it's what i did! Not keen for AH theory, 30 marks in each section!!:eek:

Yeah it's only 10% of the paper, so you can quite comfortably get an A without even touching the theory :smile:
Reply 14
I've been working through a whole past paper in 2.5 hours (2006). In doing so I did find the final accounts very straight forward. But that damn other choice I find a bit more difficult. I'm going to get more marks through the accounts, not the ratios, etc.

And in section B, i'll need to choose very carefully. Yesterday I opted for a contribution question without looking at what was involved as it went on. Needless to say I may have gained half marks. The other question may have went slightly better.

And as for KU, I'll be fine. I tend to score very highly, around 16-18/20 at all times. I just need to select the correct questions.
Reply 15
If theres any questions you find particularity hard just give me the year and question number and ill try my best to explain how to do it :smile:
Reply 16
fiona_123
last year compulsary was a TPL and b/s After a manufacturing account had been prepared. Section B was weird- calculation of unit costs, selling prices etc then using them in a cash budget. I didn't find the exam too hard, but then i really like accounts.

And they've starting integrating topics in questions. i.e two topics in one question- 2008 Q7 was process then overhead analysis. Just revise everything, and don't do the same questions you like all the time because no doubt they won't come up.

As for ratios as the compulsory, i don't know if they're that evil...

I did Higher last year and am doing Advanced this year and we were told that for Higher, ratios is never compulsory but the compulsory is always the final accounts of either: partnership, PLC or NFP including manufacturing concerns.
I'm doing accounts this year. My Dad was an accountant so I think it's in my blood lol. I'm finding it fairly easy. I got 68% in the Prelim but I didn't do very much revision and did poorly in the trading profit and loss a/c and revised that a bit and gone over it and know to do now. I think section 2 is pretty easy as well. That contribution stuff is really easy. Haven't been revising any theory though so hopefully some easy questions in that. I just can't be bothered doing revision anymore though. Only did about 40 mins today.
Reply 18
callumz
If theres any questions you find particularity hard just give me the year and question number and ill try my best to explain how to do it :smile:

hey

i am doing 2004 Past Paper and on question 2 (ratios :|) i have got totally stuck on part a(ii).
It asks to Calculate Sales (75% credit) and in the answers it uses the net profit before tax divided by 12 (i dont know why) and multiplied by 100.

Hope you can help.
Thanks x
Reply 19
ok the sales (75% credit) is telling you to just work out the sales figure the (75% credit) is just telling you how many are credit so you can use the debtors collection figure in vii to find average debtors.
so in (a)(i) you worked out net profit figure by:
252,000/75*100= 336,000
Now in (ii) you are asked to calulate sales for this we use the net profit(before tax ratio)
This ratio is calulated by: net profit/sales * 100 we are told the answer is 12%.
So we can say that 12 = 336,000/sales*100 so therefore:
0.12 = 336,000 / sales
sales = 336,000/0.12
giving you an answer of: 2,800,000 is that correct?
by the way anyone got the solutions for 2005 past paper?

Latest

Trending

Trending