The Student Room Group

Exams on the same day..advice? (A2 GEOG/RE)

Hey there,
On june 5th (next fri) i have a two hour geography edexcel exam in the morning and an OCR religious studies exam, 3 hours in the afternoon...

ive been pretty lucky with timetables before, but this time ive got a few exams that fall on the same day, thats 5 hours...

How do you prepare and keep yourself in the right mindset for a day like that?
usually i go into a day with nothing but that subject in my head but this time...
obviously not :smile:

thoughts, advice?

Scroll to see replies

Last year I had to cope with 3 hours of politics in the morning, and 3 hours of law in the afternoon, with a 30 minute break. This year I've got an hour of politics, then an hour of law, but I have to travel between campuses inbetween... They never learn!

What I did is just made sure I took my time with revision, and made a couple of notes to read over whilst eating lunch and I had my break. Don't panic too much, you'll be surprised how much information you'll still remember when it comes to the exam! I managed to get a high B in my law, so it's certainly doable :smile:
don't try to do any revision in between the two exams, instead go out, get away from college (if possible) and treat yourself to a nice big, healthy lunch. Stay hydrated and try not to dwell on the first exam into the afternoon. You need to keep your energy up so eat lots and eat right. Let your brain turn off and refuel over lunch, as there is a lot of mental exersion involved with long exams. Sleep well the night before, and don't make any plans for the day after (unless there's more exams) as you will probably need most of the morning to sleep
ClaireHogben
don't try to do any revision in between the two exams, instead go out, get away from college (if possible) and treat yourself to a nice big, healthy lunch. Stay hydrated and try not to dwell on the first exam into the afternoon. You need to keep your energy up so eat lots and eat right. Let your brain turn off and refuel over lunch, as there is a lot of mental exersion involved with long exams. Sleep well the night before, and don't make any plans for the day after (unless there's more exams) as you will probably need most of the morning to sleep

this

its important for any exam to be in the fresh, healthy and good state of mind. but with back to back exams its even more important.
Reply 4
yeah thanks,
ive got the weekend to recover, but also need to do some revision with that :smile:

sounds like i just gotta go into the day with everything tucked safely in my head and keep cool :smile:
Reply 5
on the 11th i have 2 chem exams, ones 90mins long and the other is 75 mins, both back to back
then in the afternoon i have a 105min history exam

and i have another exam the next day

youre not alone....
I have 3 exams in one day on June 2nd :frown:

Two of them are RS though, a resit of the philosophy and also the ethics, You'd have thought they'd have seperated them? Especially as they are in the afternoon and finish at 4.30pm. - I've had them moved to the morning because of an additional clash though..
get a good night sleep and have a full healthy breakfast (i recommend fish and nuts) !!! << very important :yep:
Reply 8
graphixx
Hey there,
On june 5th (next fri) i have a two hour geography edexcel exam in the morning and an OCR religious studies exam, 3 hours in the afternoon...

ive been pretty lucky with timetables before, but this time ive got a few exams that fall on the same day, thats 5 hours...

usually i go into a day with nothing but that subject in my head but this time...

thoughts, advice?

Hi, I really really feel for you because I have almost the exact same situation. Except mine is slightly worse because I have geography aqa (3hrs) and re ocr (3hrs) on the 5th june. So 6 hours of hell...:frown:

I don't really have any adivce, apart from take plasters for your blisters you will no doubt have by the end of the day
Reply 9
I have 4 exams on june 5th, 2 x Geography (AQA) and 2 x Accounting (OCR). So alltogether 6 hours worth of exams. With just a 30 min break after my geography exams, nothing else, I dont get a break between my two geog exams or two accounting exams.
Dont have a really big lunch because then you will feel bloated and tired. Just drink lots of fluids. Have a good sleep the night before because you cannot risk feeling tired in the exams.
Maybe whilst you have your lunch, you run through some key exam tips such as going through a structure for an essay. Make sure you have some mints/sweets with you in the exam hall if you are allowed them. If your 3 hr religous studies exam is really two separate papers, then once they you finish the first paper, you can have some sweets before they give out the second paper.

One of my worries is that my hand will be to tired to write by the time im doing my afternoon exams, so I'm trying to make my hand write faster and endure longer lol.
Reply 10
haha didnt even think about my hands, RE is in the afternoon, and three hours of continous writing is... no mean feat.
Reply 11
tabbycat1
geography aqa (3hrs) and re ocr (3hrs) on the 5th june. So 6 hours of hell

yeah, that is almost the same
RE OCR, which modules?
im doing 2771 and 2772 (and ofc connections)

:smile:
I have 4 exams on the 4th, 2 ICT and 2 Sociology..with about an hour in between argh :frown:
Reply 13
graphixx
Hey there,

thoughts, advice?

I have an annoying clash on Friday 5 too. Maths C3 and M1, and Economics Development. Sorry but I have no idea as to how I prepare, except that I will be spending the entire day before preparing, and not revise in the morning before the exams as it will be too hard.
Reply 14
graphixx
yeah, that is almost the same
RE OCR, which modules?
im doing 2771 and 2772 (and ofc connections)

:smile:

I'm not sure about the codes but it's the philsophy paper (religious language, life after death..) and the ethics paper (conscience, determinism, war etc.) And then connections on the 16th. How are you finding the revision? There's just so much to remember and geography as well!
Reply 15
tabbycat1
I'm not sure about the codes but it's the philsophy paper (religious language, life after death..) and the ethics paper (conscience, determinism, war etc.) And then connections on the 16th. How are you finding the revision? There's just so much to remember and geography as well!

yeah sounds like 2772 and 2771 (i didnt know the codes i just wanted a syllabus so i had to go looking!)

..it is hard, geography is a tough one... RE there is just alot to do! :o:
the two exams i could of done without them bieng together really..

revision is going okay.. just finished free will, conscience - got some essays i wrote and magically got an A in both.. and an environmental/ultilitarianism essay... so ive basically...

used longer notes to write essays,
deconstructed essays...
smaller notes with pre-determined introductions and conclusions for each subject... so you already know where you stand :yep:

im about to do christian ethics, i think ill just learn it as applied to sex enviro and war.. :smile:

sorry for the lecture-post :wink: :biggrin:
i have the same exams as you op and nothing is staying in my head!!! but my mum proved to me that when the exam comes I'll remember the info I'm just a bit worried.....
Reply 17
jessyfantastic90
i have the same exams as you op and nothing is staying in my head!!! but my mum proved to me that when the exam comes I'll remember the info I'm just a bit worried.....

the edexcel geography... im just so bad at physical geography (im doing human geography at univ).. i got an A in my january module which has gone along way...

how are you finding revision for either exam?
how are you revising for geography and re?
graphixx
the edexcel geography... im just so bad at physical geography (im doing human geography at univ).. i got an A in my january module which has gone along way...

how are you finding revision for either exam?
how are you revising for geography and re?

tiring so tiring im doing philosophy and ethics for part of the day and r.e for the other and im making notes and learnig quotes and case studies
Reply 19
jessyfantastic90
tiring so tiring im doing philosophy and ethics for part of the day and r.e for the other and im making notes and learnig quotes and case studies

Sounds good but yes
drains the brain :cool:

what are you doing for christian ethics?
im jammed on that :confused:

Latest