The Student Room Group

I'm going to FAIL my economics exam so bad

Ok i'm first year uni, economics exam coming up in a week.

It's on stuff like PPFs, trade, absolute advantage, politics in economics etc.

I read through the book so often and go through the diagrams, but...

My problem seems to be i can't really understand the diagrams at all, they're so complicated :frown:

Especially the diagrams for tariffs, quotas and subsidies...
(If someone can link me to a diagram and explain these in detail i will love you forever)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Shove tutor2u in google, that should help you out! :smile:
It's for A level, but most of the stuff still applies.
Reply 2
RYANDENNY
Shove tutor2u in google, that should help you out! :smile:
It's for A level, but most of the stuff still applies.

I have done, its too complicated though and still doesn't explain those diagrams to me!
1. You have a negative attitude, i.e. "I'm going to fail...". By saying that, you will. Be bloody optimistics.

2. "I can't really understand the diagrams at all...". Get a lecturer, someone on your course etc to help you out. Not on here. Because materials differs between every uni, and also, it would be so much easier if you get someone to help you from your uni.

3. "exams are coming up in a week... they're [the diagrams] are so complicated". What have you been doing for the past weeks? In fact the past year? Please, don't give me "getting drunk, procrastinating" etc. If this is the answer or similar, you now have to face the consquences. Happy cramming stuff you don't understand.

On a serious note:

* Sort your attitude
* Have a better work ethic
* Get someone on your course to help you
* Stop procrastinating
* Get down to some serious revision
* Let this be a lesson to learn
jasonmrazisgod

I have done, its too complicated though and still doesn't explain those diagrams to me!

but you're at uni.......... surely you should understand basic A level economics :s-smilie: What uni you at? youtube pajholden for help
Reply 5
im so academic
1. You have a negative attitude, i.e. "I'm going to fail...". By saying that, you will. Be bloody optimistics.

2. "I can't really understand the diagrams at all...". Get a lecturer, someone on your course etc to help you out. Not on here. Because materials differs between every uni, and also, it would be so much easier if you get someone to help you from your uni.

3. "exams are coming up in a week... they're [the diagrams] are so complicated". What have you been doing for the past weeks? In fact the past year? Please, don't give me "getting drunk, procrastinating" etc. If this is the answer or similar, you now have to face the consquences. Happy cramming stuff you don't understand.

On a serious note:

* Sort your attitude
* Have a better work ethic
* Get someone on your course to help you
* Stop procrastinating
* Get down to some serious revision
* Let this be a lesson to learn

I love you.
Reply 6
PPFs, pfft there piss, I'm only doing A Level as well
Reply 7
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
but you're at uni.......... surely you should understand basic A level economics :s-smilie: What uni you at? youtube pajholden for help

my course isn't economics, its just a module we have to do.
and yes i do admit i haven't worked hard enough throughout the year... but all my friends in second year didn't do any studying and all got 2.1s (i know that makes me sound incredibly naive).

and i've already seen my economics lecturer twice, i think he might get a bit pissed off with me if i have to ask him questions again!
Reply 8
360Eddie
PPFs, pfft there piss, I'm only doing A Level as well

well please please can you explain quota/tariff/subsidy diagrams to me!!!
Oh yeah OP. What bloody diagrams? How is ANYONE supposed to answer your question if we don't even know what diagrams you're talking about?

If you're serious about passing, answer these questions which would make life so much easier for you, and for us:

What uni do you go to?
What bloody diagrams do you mean?
Describe in detail the parts you don't understand. (For the sake of your dignity, please don't say "all of it")
Ever tried going to the library and actually working? You can't understand something if you don't work. If you get stuck, ask help from your coursemates.
im so academic
Oh yeah OP. What bloody diagrams? How is ANYONE supposed to answer your question if we don't even know what diagrams you're talking about?

If you're serious about passing, answer these questions which would make life so much easier for you, and for us:

What uni do you go to?
What bloody diagrams do you mean?
Describe in detail the parts you don't understand. (For the sake of your dignity, please don't say "all of it")
Ever tried going to the library and actually working? You can't understand something if you don't work. If you get stuck, ask help from your coursemates.

i swear i've already said lol...

but:

tariff diagram
subsidy diagram
quota diagram

i just don't understand all the different triangles and squares... surely someone here does economics?
jasonmrazisgod
my course isn't economics, its just a module we have to do.
and yes i do admit i haven't worked hard enough throughout the year... but all my friends in second year didn't do any studying and all got 2.1s (i know that makes me sound incredibly naive).

and i've already seen my economics lecturer twice, i think he might get a bit pissed off with me if i have to ask him questions again!

:rolleyes: Be specific next time.

"I haven't worked hard enough throughout the year".

Good news: You admit to it, and not covering up like a stupid little plonker.

Bad news: WTF? Exactly WHY didn't you? Why? Answer me. Sort your work ethic and limit procrastination.

"All my friends in second year didn't do any studying and all got 2:1s"

That doesn't mean you bloody should. You got get a first if you put your mind to it. Just because someone did "no studying" and got a 2:1 means that you would too. Maybe they worked hard throughout the year? Maybe they actually understood the material and the "diagrams"? Maybe they did study (which is very likely :rolleyes:), but didn't want you to know? Why? What right should you have in their study plans?
jasonmrazisgod
i swear i've already said lol...

but:

tariff diagram
subsidy diagram
quota diagram

i just don't understand all the different triangles and squares... surely someone here does economics?

:rolleyes:

Tariff diagrams
Subsidy diagrams
Quota diagrams
im so academic
:rolleyes: Be specific next time.

"I haven't worked hard enough throughout the year".

Good news: You admit to it, and not covering up like a stupid little plonker.

Bad news: WTF? Exactly WHY didn't you? Why? Answer me. Sort your work ethic and limit procrastination.

"All my friends in second year didn't do any studying and all got 2:1s"

That doesn't mean you bloody should. You got get a first if you put your mind to it. Just because someone did "no studying" and got a 2:1 means that you would too. Maybe they worked hard throughout the year? Maybe they actually understood the material and the "diagrams"? Maybe they did study (which is very likely :rolleyes:), but didn't want you to know? Why? What right should you have in their study plans?

well i dont know if you're at uni... but the general feeling of first years i know (and i know a lot of people) is screw good grades, 40%.
(that is all you need to pass the first year)
Btw OP, it's your fault you're going to fail. No one elses. Why? You haven't worked hard enough, thus, you suffer the consquences. This is what happens when you make wrong decisions. And that's not my fault. You can't blame me, or anyone else on here - except yourself. If you worked hard enough and acted like a proper student, not a procrastinator, you wouldn't have these problems.
jasonmrazisgod
well i dont know if you're at uni... but the general feeling of first years i know (and i know a lot of people) is screw good grades, 40%.
(that is all you need to pass the first year)

I'm not at uni, but that doesn't mean I'm less stupid than you.

Anyways, WTH? "screw good grades, get 40%"

That's sick. Why should you screw good grades just because the crowd is doing so? Huh? Why should you act like a sheep and follow the pack? why can you be an eagle, get good grades, and soar high?

This reminds me of the general attitude of, "I'm not going to study. As long as I'm going to get 5Cs and get into college, I don't care". See the similarity?

Why can't you better yourself and get a first? Why? You can't be bothered? Want to do the laidback attitude?

Here's something from Proverbs 19:8 which I think you should take note of: "Do yourself a favour and learn all you can; then remember what you learn and you will prosper".

Not, "Procrastinate all you can and waste education".

You could better yourself. You can change. This pessimism, crap attitude towards your education is terrible. Honestly.
Reply 16
well as i'm so academic is so unhelpful (and note there are very few diagrans for these concepts, so most a level econ students would be able to explain)
this is the diagram i'm explaining from
http://www.worldgameofeconomics.com/EffectsofTradeBarriersopt.jpg

ok you see the domestic supply curve and the demand cuve- thats your basics, and where they meet that's price
the lower horizontal line is global supply- its perfectly elastic because it's perfectly competitive, (i'm hope you understand that term-= it means that in effect, the goods sold are exactly the same, there's perfect knowlegde of the market so everyone produces at that price)

ok so basically, domestic firms are producing at Q1 and imports are coming in from Q1 to Q4, basically means unemployment for some domestic firms, they are struggling with globally lower prices- cheap labour from China etc. so they moan and the government impose a tariff which is a tax on imports, shifting supply to the upper horizontal line, meaning that domestic firms supply till Q2 and imports Q2 to Q4
the letters on the diagram A+B+C+D= loss of consumer surplus due to increased price due to tax, B+D are deadweight welfare loss (ignore if you don't understand), A is extra revenue for domestic firms and C is tax for government
that diagram is standard econ a level diag and then define what the letters mean
daniLL
well as i'm so academic is so unhelpful (and note there are very few diagrans for these concepts, so most a level econ students would be able to explain)
this is the diagram i'm explaining from
http://www.worldgameofeconomics.com/EffectsofTradeBarriersopt.jpg

ok you see the domestic supply curve and the demand cuve- thats your basics, and where they meet that's price
the lower horizontal line is global supply- its perfectly elastic because it's perfectly competitive, (i'm hope you understand that term-= it means that in effect, the goods sold are exactly the same, there's perfect knowlegde of the market so everyone produces at that price)

ok so basically, domestic firms are producing at Q1 and imports are coming in from Q1 to Q4, basically means unemployment for some domestic firms, they are struggling with globally lower prices- cheap labour from China etc. so they moan and the government impose a tariff which is a tax on imports, shifting supply to the upper horizontal line, meaning that domestic firms supply till Q2 and imports Q2 to Q4
the letters on the diagram A+B+C+D= loss of consumer surplus due to increased price due to tax, B+D are deadweight welfare loss (ignore if you don't understand), A is extra revenue for domestic firms and C is tax for government
that diagram is standard econ a level diag and then define what the letters mean

Unhelpful? Excuse me?

I know I'm not in a position to be able to directly answer the OP's question, but I can give some advice which would indirectly help the OP. E.g. the OP has a negative attitude towards education, and I was just giving some advice on how to sort it out.
Gosh, if you don't like my advice, take it or leave it. Because I would find that some people would find that my advice is actually quite helpful in a different way.
Reply 18
and quotas
http://www.ukessays.com/essays/economics/images/econimage1.jpg

basically same assmptions are before, global suppy is elastic etc
quota shifts domestic supply to right

and basically this diagram has replaced A,b,c,d with 1,2,3,4- they all mean exactly the same thing, except C is not tax for the government, its revenue kept by importers, which is why quotas are considered more favourably than tariffs
and thats about all the the diags, i don't remember subsidies, but if i remember correctly it shifts supply to the right end of
http://tutor2u.net/economics/content/diagrams/subsidy4.gif
thats what i know, only prob is it risks supply outstripping demand
Reply 19
im so academic
Unhelpful? Excuse me?

I know I'm not in a position to be able to directly answer the OP's question, but I can give some advice which would indirectly help the OP. E.g. the OP has a negative attitude towards education, and I was just giving some advice on how to sort it out.
Gosh, if you don't like my advice, take it or leave it. Because I would find that some people would find that my advice is actually quite helpful in a different way.

possibly but economics is a subject that with a difficult teacher it makes no sense- all you need is someone to explain it properly- and the OP evidently has stuggled- if people on their course have done econ a level this stuff is easy, the hard bit would be evaluating it, so the OP would be at a disadvantage from the start
and its helpful to say yes the OP should've dealt with their problems much earlier than now, but hindsight's a great thing, i'm sure they will have learnt something
and there's a way to say something constructively and i wouldn't say you have that ability

Latest

Trending

Trending