The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
any1 else worried about the Geological skills exam for OCR on tuesday?

All my teacher did was shove a few past papers in my face!!

Can/how do you revise for this?!
no they can do that with maps-it's on purpose you just see which side has the younger rock exposed-that is the downthrown side
Reply 382
Yeah, but as our teachers the chief examiner, I'll take his word :smile:
Reply 383
Whats Earths Natural Resources and The Lithosphere like? im taking them as my option modules in WJEC Geology next year, thanks.
Straas
GL4 wasn't too bad, till I noticed whilst walking out I hadn't realised that was a massive river running across the map :\

We all get a mark for that Q where it asked for the downthrow side of the fault though, because they didn't put a tick at that location.. :smile:

I've lost my spec for the lithosphere :frown:

If anyone has a copy, any chance of scanning it in??

OOh any ideas what's coming up in the exam tomorra then? lol
Reply 385
unfortunately not.

Hi son's in my class so he wasn't allowed to set the exam ths year, for obvious reasons.
If you're doing the WJEC geology the spec is availiable on the website:

http://www.wjec.co.uk/geology.html

Then just click on the 2006 spec.

Hope that's useful xxx
Tomorrow is officially exam 'D-day' as far as I'm concerned!

The day starts nicely enough, with a two-hour Computing exam which should offer me the joys of wrist cramp and mental exhaustion long before lunch...

...after which, from 1.15, I have GL5 option papers totalling 2.5 hours! Oh man, I haaate Geology now...

Anyone else doing WJEC (or even other board) Geology exams tomorrow, the BEST of luck to you all! I could do with some luck myself!

Oh, and unless I get a C or above in A2 Geology, I volunteer myself to opt out of Uni for a year! Anyone got advice on the whole not-that-keen-on-studying-at-Uni-a-subject-you-no-longer-like?! Is it worth sticking with Uni for the three years and getting £15k in debt 'just in case' I enjoy it, or should I forget Uni in 2006, have a year earning and saving, and apply for something I enjoy and am good at?!
Reply 388
I could imagine geology to be immensely boring if you didn't sort of enjoy it.

I don't really know how to revise for tomorrow (lol)

Not looking forward to the essay side of things :Z
Hey!

Oh dear, everyone seems rather down in the dumps about the exams! Im in a really rubbish mood, everything has gone wrong today, and im tired and its late and i just want to sleep... but i know i need to revise until 1am for me to be able to get things clear in my head. I have my geology exams in the morning (as i am, yet again (!), a clash student!) and then have english literature papers in the afternoon! I sat a truly awful chemistry paper today, which has just annoyed me further now! Grr, life sucks at times!

Anyway, let me put something constructive shall i? Looking from past exam papers and what they haven't asked for a while, i think orogenies might come up (well, im severely hoping they do as thats one of the few things i could write a good essay on!) on the Evolution of Britain paper. And as for the quaternary paper, i have no sodding idea! They seem to ask everything and anything! I really want a question on turbidity currents, radiometric dating, milankovitch cycles, interglacial deposits, igneous landforms and maybe something on moraines! But knowing my luck, that isn't going to happen!

At the end of the day, there isn't a huge deal of time until the geology exams, and without meaning to sound rude, what we don't know now, we aren't very likely to learn! Just go over what you do know and test yourself a bit maybe? (you are all so much luckier than me, i've just realised you still have a whole morning to cram for this paper tomorrow *stomps feet*).

Good luck to everyone, will be around tomorrow to congratulate/ comisserate im sure!

Lou
xxx
"i've just realised you still have a whole morning to cram for this paper tomorrow"

The exam's in 25 minutes, and I got out of a tricky two-hour Computing paper about 90 mins ago! I have managed to learn...how oil is formed! Oh man, there had better be an essay question on oil!!!
Aww sorry! Didn't realise you had exams in the morning as well (although you did get more time than me to cram lol!)

Personally, and i dont want to tempt fate, i thought the exam was very nice. I chose the essay question on turbidity currents which i wrote so much for it was unreal! I then did the quesiton on the alpine orogeny in britain and wrote a fair amount for it. Overall, im pleased with my exam paper! Some of the structured questions were unbelievably easy- like the rose diagram one and state the patterns on the graph for pollen! I hope everyone else found it went well!

Lou
xxx
Reply 392
lol, I'm 90% sure I've done that exact question on pollen before.

I chose the lithosphere faulting essay and the sea level change.

For how principal stresses affect fault structures I pretty much just drew those square diagrams showing sigma max min and intermediate, for reverse normal and strike slip.

For the rising sea I got confused - just went on about how more ice = a lower sea level, because the output of the sea is less than the input as the precip becomes ice, and then drew a raised beach, the o16/18 thing, and a diagram showing the ice reflecting the sun.

Hope I did well, I really need an A in this :|
Who here has done an AS in OCR Geology? Because I like Geology and I'm thinking of doing it somehow.
Reply 394
Do WJEC it's the best by far.
Reply 395
Straas
Do WJEC it's the best by far.

that sounds about right...I did wjec about 4 years ago now (:eek: ) and I found it very useful.
Reply 396
Right - this might help an argument I had with someone.

She reckons prior to 3 years ago WJEC papers were written with both Welsh and English on the same exam. Is this true??
Reply 397
No, it isn't.
Straas
Right - this might help an argument I had with someone.

She reckons prior to 3 years ago WJEC papers were written with both Welsh and English on the same exam. Is this true??

They still are. The WJEC is an examboard and you can rite in either English or welsh. trust me- I did both English language and Literature for GCSE with the WJEC. Why is WJEC better then? Content syllabus and name of textbook? Would I be able to self-teach it to myself? Because I'm very good at Geography and did Triple Award Sciences for GCSE.
Reply 399
You should be able to self-teach it if you're good, yes.

They're only in English and Welsh if requested to be so, which is different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending