The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry Extension (C3) Exam - Edexcel

I thought yesterday's exam (04/06/09 ) was easy compared to last year’s paper and the specimen paper. My fellow triple science mates found it really hard apparently and so did the year 10’s. Last year I took C3 early and had a C and I barely knew the answers, this time however, all the questions were answerable. I mean the paper wasn’t too hard and there were very few things we had to guess. I was so worried about this exam. My revision went all wrong last week so I did an all-nighter and I am glad it paid off!

Some questions I had trouble with:

*What did you write about why it is better to react sulphur with air rather than pure oxygen? I wrote extracting pure oxygen will cost more money lol.
*For the esterification question I did it right except I wrote C2H3COOC2H5 instead of CH3COOC2H5… it took me forever to figure out the ‘wrong’ answer lol I drew the structural formulas and everything all over my paper!
*What other reaction could you have with methanoic acid? I wrote you can react it with an alkali to produce a soap, I think that’s wrong lol.
*What was the ionic equation for Pb+ reacting with potassium iodide? I found that confusing… I wrote something random. I wrote Pb+ + KI-Pb --> (KI)2 I really think that’s wrong, I’m not sure.
*For the last question I wrote… 2Cl- + 2e- --> Cl2 I think it’s close to being right…
*What is the importance of the impurities of copper or something?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I did the same exam but you did the last question wrong
It's supposed to be 2Cl- - 2e-. You don't add electrons when it's a negative ion, cuz then it would just be, i duno, more negative, and not neutral.
Im not sure bout the rest but i think the ionic equation is sorta right.
for the ionic equation i think it was
Pb+ + I- ---> PbI
No?
or at least something along those lines!
i was so annoyed that there was only 1 calculation question, i mean we did LOADS of practice ones...
Reply 3
beanieboogie
for the ionic equation i think it was
Pb+ + I- ---> PbI
No?
or at least something along those lines!
i was so annoyed that there was only 1 calculation question, i mean we did LOADS of practice ones...

I practised them loads too but I was glad that they didn't come up cos sometimes they can be ever so hard!
yeah, i guess so.
there was so much analytical chemistry! what do you think grade boundaries will be out of 60 marks for that paper? lets say for an a*?
Reply 5
It was

Pb2+ + 2KI --> PbI2 + 2K+

**Edit

Oh was it meant to be an ionic equation!?
no i swear there was no K in it
did u have the 360 edexcel book too? there it was written like that
oh and yeah, it was meant to be ionic
Reply 8
it was potassium iodide it mixed with wasnt it?
yh, lead and potassium iodide
Yeah so it would have been

Pb2+ + 2KI ----> PbI2 + K2+

But because its ionic its

Pb2+ + 2I- ---> PbI2

I think :P
thats it!
Which is not what I put but oh well,
I also think I added 2e- instead of taking them away :'[
Ah damn mistakes which I shouldn't make...

Oh man I thought I did okay but apparently I messed up :']
same! i made some of the stupidest mistakes, which is really annoying because i know im capable of doing it..
i came out of the exam feeling reasonably satisfied..too bad that didnt last
and im really p***ed off too now because i really wanted the A*...especially since i want to do medicine.. o well.
Same,
But on the upside,
If you have good cswk and past exams you can get 10% in that exam and as long as you get top A* in the rest still manage to get A* overall according to my chem teacher lmfao
really?
ok that really reassured me, i just hope ur teachers not talking b*****ks!
i feel quite relieved but still, now it means i dont have a margin at all to make mistakes on the next papers and C2 nor the others seem hard, its just that i usually make the stupidest mistakes
Ah well C2 is piss easy in comparison to C3
Its just like rate of reaction and hydrocarbons xD
So I reckon you'll be fine
Reply 17
A*andneverless
Hey, I did the same exam but you did the last question wrong
It's supposed to be 2Cl- - 2e-. You don't add electrons when it's a negative ion, cuz then it would just be, i duno, more negative, and not neutral.
Im not sure bout the rest but i think the ionic equation is sorta right.

Yh I got the same mate 2Cl- - 2e- ----> Cl2
Reply 18
Sparkyy
*What did you write about why it is better to react sulphur with air rather than pure oxygen? I wrote extracting pure oxygen will cost more money lol.

*What other reaction could you have with methanoic acid? I wrote you can react it with an alkali to produce a soap, I think that’s wrong lol.

What did you lot get for these questions?? They were the only two I was unsure of in the exam
Sparkly-Star
I thought yesterday's exam (04/06/09 ) was easy compared to last year’s paper and the specimen paper. My fellow triple science mates found it really hard apparently and so did the year 10’s. Last year I took C3 early and had a C and I barely knew the answers, this time however, all the questions were answerable. I mean the paper wasn’t too hard and there were very few things we had to guess. I was so worried about this exam. My revision went all wrong last week so I did an all-nighter and I am glad it paid off!

Some questions I had trouble with:

*For the esterification question I did it right except I wrote C2H3COOC2H5 instead of CH3COOC2H5… it took me forever to figure out the ‘wrong’ answer lol I drew the structural formulas and everything all over my paper!
*What was the ionic equation for Pb+ reacting with potassium iodide? I found that confusing… I wrote something random. I wrote Pb+ + KI-Pb --> (KI)2 I really think that’s wrong, I’m not sure.
*For the last question I wrote… 2Cl- + 2e- --> Cl2 I think it’s close to being right…

I wrote so the reaction isn't too fast, in case too much sulphur dioxide is produced.
I got it wrong I think lol
I said you can make a salt I think, from a neutralisation reaction.
I had K+ at the end, then wrote that I wasn't sure if it was necessary :P
I might have put - 2e-, can't remember though. Fingers crossed!

Latest