The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Question about sport in Loughborough? Click here first before you ask.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ...mo...
Do you have any detials of times/dates when it can be booked or is it allways availble?

Stuff like teams and the badminton club and proper training takes priority I assume, I couldn't tell you when exactly it's available, you'd have to ask the badminton centre.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 61
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Stuff like teams and the badminton club and proper training takes priority I assume, I couldn't tell you when exactly it's available, you'd have to ask the badminton centre.

oh OK thanks:biggrin:
How much does does a swimming poll + LUFS membership for a year cost?
Is there any type of powerlifting team at the uni?
Wondering what the free weight facilities are like, after hearing the sports facilities are exceptional but from a weight lifting perspective it is very poor.

Anyone care to give some insight?

Thanks
Good question, also anyone who answers this know if theres a powerlifting team?
http://www.lufbra.net/au/auclubs/

A list of the Athletic Union teams!
Reply 67
I train at Powerbase. Lufs is for the non serious recreational trainer and is thus not suitably equipped. The free weights facilities in Powerbase are superb. We've got a dumbell area with dumbells up to about 60kg and loads of benches. In addition we've got 6 Olympic lifting platforms with a range of bars (we've even got trap bars), 4 power cages and a **** load of benches and stuff. Only problem is Powerbase gets pretty busy, and you get alot of people who shouldn't really be in there training- like little kids doing bicep curls in the Powercages. lol.. there are about 7 other gyms in loughborough though. I know one gym in town where student membership is £80 a year, but it's a gym not for the feint hearted :biggrin:

There is no Powerlifting team at Uni, but there are plenty of powerlifters who train in the gym, in addition to a **** load of athletes.

Original post by Mousebudden
Wondering what the free weight facilities are like, after hearing the sports facilities are exceptional but from a weight lifting perspective it is very poor.

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
It costs £257.50 and includes access to LUFS, Powerbase and the swimming pool :smile:

Original post by mint treasure
How much does does a swimming poll + LUFS membership for a year cost?
I use the council gym across the road from the entrance to the uni, I pay as I go as I could not afford the membership for the other gyms at the beginning of the year! If you go during the day to classes and such it is about £2.50 which is not too bad. They also have a weights section in the gym which I know would not be as good as the others mentioned but takes up at least half of the gym and some seriously big guys train there :biggrin:
I want to get into sport at Loughborough but I've gotten incredibly unfit since secondary school. What would be the likelihood of getting into, say, the Indoor Hockey IMS team for Harry French? And would I need my own equipment?
Reply 71
Original post by Mousebudden

Thanks

Not sure where you heard that, powerbase is pretty much a free weights warehouse with everything you could want and more.
Reply 72
Is there anyone on here who fancies forming a five a side football team? PM me if so!
Original post by ...mo...
Do you have any detials of times/dates when it can be booked or is it allways availble?

Just to add a very late comment to this...the Badminton Centre is great and is the best place to play (there are other courts e.g. in Victory Hall but the walls are all white which makes play just that bit more difficult and does get frustrating when you not only 'lose' sight of the shuttle because of the lights but also the walls!

Charges are not very much c.£6-8 an hour, forget exactly as I am now on placement. There are plenty of free slots but I would advise booking around a week in advance to save dissapointment. Hope that helps.
so i was on the loughborough sports website and there tags for performance sports club and athletic union sports club. what exactly is the difference?
so say football for example, i know the uni football club is top quality; but aren't they run by the AU? thus is the uni football team under performance sport club or athletic sports club?

cheers
How competitve is it to join the cricket club?
What are the requirment for joining the team?
Reply 76
Is it too late to join clubs now/ is there a waiting list of some sort for TKD? Also
I heard that L'boro have closed the TKD centre down or something, are they going to resituate it with powerbase or something? :tongue:
How about cricket? How hard it is to get selected in the cricket team?
Hi

I was on the Loughborough sport website and saw rankings or something 'Hey Ewe'? I was just intrigued by what this was? :biggrin:
Original post by DCFCfan4eva
Hi

I was on the Loughborough sport website and saw rankings or something 'Hey Ewe'? I was just intrigued by what this was? :biggrin:

Hey Ewe is the AU (Athletic Union, geddit?) night at the union on a Wednesday. Cheap drinks and cheesy music.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending