The Student Room Group

Controversial Thread #2: Is it right to treat obesity as "ok"?

I figured since the other thread I made turned into a cesspool I'd try another touchy subject. Is it right to treat obesity as being
"ok"? As if it were a fashion choice or something along those lines, when in reality it has serious, proven health implications?

It seems that a new "fat pride" movement is popping up every day, telling people to be happy with their weight, and that no one should make them want to change, etc, etc. There was even a documentary a year or two ago about this American woman who ran this "fat pride" camp in Mexico. Isn't preaching that fat people should enjoy being fat, similar to preaching that alcoholics should enjoy being alcoholic?

It seems very popular these days too to claim that "you can be healthy at any weight", which is simply medically not true.

So what're your thoughts on this? For my part I'd say that less than 5% of the obese people out there have any real, medical condition which makes it difficult for them to lose weight. In the majority of cases it's bad nutrition and lack of exercise

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you mean by "treat obesity as ok". Do you mean treating obese people with the same respect you would treat everyone else with?
I don't care much for this topic. People should be able to eat whatever they want to, in whatever quantity they wish. Most know of the associated health risks, but as with everything, that doesn't stop them.
Reply 3
Depends, it's not really your problem, its theirs.

Some obese people do have problems and need help though so you can't really accept it as ok unless you are all apathetic and blazay about it
I personally have never heard of anyone advocating obesity if thats what youre getting at.
Oladz
What do you mean by "treat obesity as ok". Do you mean treating obese people with the same respect you would treat everyone else with?

Nativeenglish
I don't care much for this topic. People should be able to eat whatever they want to, in whatever quantity they wish. Most know of the associated health risks, but as with everything, that doesn't stop them.

I'm not suggesting that fat people should be treated badly, or that they "shouldn't be allowed" to be fat - what I'm saying is shouldn't we stop justifying obesity and trying to dress it up as a healthy lifestyle choice? If it's going to be around, it should come with the understanding that it's an unhealthy way to be, like being an alcoholic.

I don't think it does anyone any favors to start talking about fat people "being accepting" of their weight, and even "proud" of it (I once saw a website dedicated to people who wanted to get fat. They were constantly deluding each other about how getting fat wouldn't make them unhealthy, and how tons of women found it sexy, etc)
Here's an example for you all to feast your eyes on. That website I mentioned in my previous post:

http://www.bigguts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3411
Reply 7
Obesity.. No. In all honestly, I can't stand obese people. It disgusts me. I dare not treat them any differently as a person, but I'll always think of them differently.

Maybe it is because I've known people who are obese and are actually really repulsive people (Seriously.. there is a majorly obese woman that gets on my 66 bus that stinks of piss and looks like an ogre... and a simular obese woman that goes swimming in the same pool as me and FOR GODS SAKE! That is NOT a pretty sight!!!).. But I'll never agree with obesity being treat as ok.
justkillingtime
I'm not suggesting that fat people should be treated badly, or that they "shouldn't be allowed" to be fat - what I'm saying is shouldn't we stop justifying obesity and trying to dress it up as a healthy lifestyle choice? If it's going to be around, it should come with the understanding that it's an unhealthy way to be, like being an alcoholic.

I don't think it does anyone any favors to start talking about fat people "being accepting" of their weight, and even "proud" of it (I once saw a website dedicated to people who wanted to get fat. They were constantly deluding each other about how getting fat wouldn't make them unhealthy, and how tons of women found it sexy, etc)

On the contrary, much of society is known to promote a healthy lifestyle, and size 0 models. You will never see an obese model. Healthy eating is at the forefront of the social agenda, etc.
Reply 9
justkillingtime

Looking at the media today i would say that the exact opposite is true. The fat acceptance movement is a reaction to a combination of this media image and also the idea that being very slim is the best body image.
Nativeenglish
On the contrary, much of society is known to promote a healthy lifestyle, and size 0 models. You will never see an obese model. Healthy eating is at the forefront of the social agenda, etc.

I'm not trying to argue that "obesity acceptance" movements are anywhere near being a majority, but they're still growing to the extent that I've been running into a lot of people recently who're completely misinformed about weight, and treat being obese as if it was the same as bleaching your hair - the kind of "being fat is ok" indignation that you might encounter. Again, I'm not saying obese people should be treated badly, but they should be considered what they are - people with an illness
Reply 11
obesity is abnormal and is a serious condition..
Reply 12
Nobody in their right mind is 'dressing obesity up as a healthy lifestyle choice'.

The notion of 'fat pride' you are referring too is hardly a nationwide scheme.

So therefore I don't see what it is that's bothering you.
Reply 13
No, it's not OK to be obese.
i hate obesity. i can understand and sympathize with people that are obese because of a medical condition, and that is ok because to a certain extent it's not their fault, but the fact that people allow themselves to become ridiculously overweight because they are too lazy to actually make food that doesn't involve the microwave is simply appalling. People can't pretend they are ignorant of what eating in this manner is doing to them health wise, it's just they can't be bothered, or "don't like salads."

if they decide to live their lives this way, then they deserve all they get. there is no justifying obesity at all.
Reply 15
I have to agree with you in that there is so much - too much - 'fat is fine' campaiging, though there is also a lot of healthy lifestyle campaigning at the same time.

I hate to admit that obese people seriously frustrate me, especially when they complain of being fat - well do something about it!! Anyone could tell you how to lose weight!!

Also, when people tell me I'm TOO skinny. I'm a size 8-10 for the record and at a healthy BMI. I run 3 miles everyday to keep in shape and eat healthy to boot, and I get people telling me that I don't have to work for it! What the hell?!?!

I personally tihnk that magazines should abandon the 'fat isfine' campaign (points at cosmopolitan magazine grr) and encourage a healthy lifestyle instead - not necessarily thiness, but healthiness.

Sorry, just realised I got quite whiney. But it does wind me up.

In response, no it is not right to treat obesity as 'ok' when it is the result of death in such high proportions.
What I hate is some obese women's idea that you can either have them or some size-zero skeleton. What happened to being athletic? Is that not the truest definition of "healthy"?
Reply 17
This could be a lot more interesting if it was about anorexic people.
Reply 18
PauloG.
This could be a lot more interesting if it was about anorexic people.

Why? Anorexia is a mental illness...
Myeah, I agree with you. But then fat people would say that they have a right to be fat and that the government should mind its own business and not force people to slim down if they don't want to.

This actually reminds me of a family in the news some time ago who are all fat and blame it on genetics, whilst tucking into huge microwave meals.

Latest

Trending

Trending