The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 1
Here you go. Basically, if you live on campus, you can't park there (unless you have a disability). A few of the off-campus self-catering residences have some parking and residents can enter a ballot for a permit.

I've never had a car in Exeter, and in terms of living here it really isn't necessary. I do appreciate it can make getting to and from home easier, but in terms of living here, it's a fairly compact city and pretty much everything is within walking distance of everything else.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
In the second year when you're in private accommodation most of the streets running on street parking restrictions have a 2 permits per house policy, so you'll be able to battle with your housemates to get that elusive permit. They cost £12 for a year.

Whilst cars aren't necessary here, they are great fun! Great for popping to the supermarket and not having to trundle your stuff up the street, or for going off on random daytrips to local beaches and places and stuff. There's some real nice places to go to.
Reply 3
im in a coma
...going off on random daytrips to local beaches and places and stuff. There's some real nice places to go to.

You can get to lots of places on the train, though, and even more on the bus. (And I have walked to the seaside - Dawlish - before, but you have to really mean it to do that...)
Persipan
You can get to lots of places on the train, though, and even more on the bus. (And I have walked to the seaside - Dawlish - before, but you have to really mean it to do that...)

That is an impressive distance to have walked! Takes 30 mins in a car!! Have you been to Budleigh Salterton? Its a favourite amongst my crowd. Not a great beach but nice pubs and a fantastic Indian restaurant.
Persipan
(And I have walked to the seaside - Dawlish - before, but you have to really mean it to do that...)

:eek: that's impressive!
Reply 6
m_b
OP
So if I can't park it on campus, where exactly can I park it? Or can't I?

Is it a case of selling/leaving my car behind?
Reply 7
Unless you want to leave it at Duryard, Digby, Pinhoe or Pennsylvania, leave it at home. You won't need it down here.
Reply 8
in your first year unless you are in a specific halls that caters to parking, i know there are one or two in the centre then dont bring your car, parking on campus is awful

i didnt need my car last year but wouldnt be without it this year, for shopping and driving to campus when its raining its so convenient :awesome:
m_b
So if I can't park it on campus, where exactly can I park it? Or can't I?

Is it a case of selling/leaving my car behind?

Basically if you're a first year you can't bring a car. You can see that having a car in Exeter really isn't a necessity because everything is within walking distance and the public transport links are really good. Having a car in Exeter is not something that alot of students want or need to do, or else obviously they would have to provide the car parking facilities for you on campus. Up until the year just gone you could park on campus, but even then there were only a limited number of spaces and it was a lottery as to whether you were allocated a permit or not.

In second year, you can bring a car with you, but as someone else mentioned before you either have to draw straws with housemates for a parking permit, or battle to find a space on roads such as Monks Road which have no permit system, but this means that people park their car from surrounding streets just cos its free, or people from nearby towns come in to Exeter, park their car there and then walk into the city from there. Very annoying.
Reply 10
sophisticated
In second year, you can bring a car with you, but as someone else mentioned before you either have to draw straws with housemates for a parking permit, or battle to find a space on roads such as Monks Road which have no permit system, but this means that people park their car from surrounding streets just cos its free, or people from nearby towns come in to Exeter, park their car there and then walk into the city from there. Very annoying.

...and most of the invaders manage to park their ford ka in a way that takes up two spaces :grr:

Latest

Trending

Trending